Free natives??

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 5, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Hi Guys,

We have only 2 and a half acres here (surrounded by large dairy farms) but we want to "donate" a strip we call The Lane to native planting/wildlife coridor/land for wildlife thing.
    It's about 70 odd metres by 20 mts and forms the boundary to the next property..... a disused dairy, hay sheds, old caravan, 5 dogs tied to 44's, dead tractors, you get the picture :( Our place was owned by nextdoors but they chopped off the house and 2 1/2 acres and kept 120.
    It is also on the west side of our place and that is where we get our horrific winds from.
    Get on with it Tully!!
    I want to know if there are sponsored tree plantings/free native trees for people in rural areas??? We have the big ideas, just no dosh :(
    I think I need to contact Natural resources or Dept Primary Industries?? Landcare?
    Would we count as deserving since we are not primary producers?
    Anyone have ANY hints/tips/ideas???
    Thank you

2. verrall

verrall Junior Member

Hi Tullymore,

I am pretty sure Landcare with charge something (they have always charged me for anything I got from them).
    Natural Resources and DPI might be the way to go.

The local council where I live (Ipswich, QLD) gives residents FREE native trees/shrubs. You are entitled to 8 FREE trees per year per rates notice.

So we get the rates notices for our investment property and our home, and canvas the relatives. We can usually end up with 4 - 6 rates notices = 32 - 48 FREE trees. I don't know what your local council does -could be worth a try. You never know this example may inspire them to give away freebies as well.

Another thing you may want to try is a reasonable sized company that is looking to do some good for the community/enviroment to win some points with their potential customers. They may provide the $$$$ if you agree to let them advertise the fact that they gave you the trees to set up the (Bushland Habitat) or whatever.

Just some thoughts - hope they help

3. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi Tully,

We lease an acre of crown land creek frontage through DNRE and recently received some info on applying for grants for revegetation etc. We don't need to take advantage of this as the area we are responsible for is already planted out sufficiently to cater for both us and the environment.

Perhaps if you contact DNRE by phone and explain your situation, they might be able to assist you and point you in the right direction.

Best of luck,
    Tam

4. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Tully,

We have the same neighbor??? Or perhaps it's just a dairy farmer thing :roll: they just collect crap.

Like you we are cash poor but I have the luxury of time and have spent some of it propagating many of the natives required for my 21 acres (planning on over 10,000). I collect seed and cuttings from around the place and find I can produce tube stock for planting in about 6 months with a very basic little set up. I have produced a few thousand in a very short time. To keep it affordable I collect my own seed and cuttings, make up my own potting mix, use recycled tubes and pots (and milk cartons, plastic yogurt tubs etc etc). If you produce excess they are easily sold at the local markets or some of the local nurseries will buy (or trade) them if they look good. I have successfully grown a range of stuff including eucalypt’s, acacias, banksias, callistemons, grasses etc it really isn’t that hard and it’s way cheaper than buying them. My only real problem is getting enough mulch and tree guards to keep up with the rate I can grow them. We reuse our old bread/food bags etc as tree guards but I still need to buy them in unfortunalty.

Steve

5. ~Tullymoor~

Hi Guys, thanks.
    Just got onto (after phoning a gazillion places) my local Landcare office and he said I missed out by two weeks as the funding they had has now been redirested to riparian (is that the word for waterways?) zones...bugger!!
    BUT, he said he will work on it and there may be a way to "get around that" :D :D :D He even asked me if I was *sure* I didn't have a drain or a dam on the place LOL so we could call it a riparian zone. My kind of man!!
    They come and take photos, assess, send you fencing materials (Now, this would be awesome as it would keep nextdoors dogs off my place and away from my chooks before I do them some serious damage with my shovel) and a list of participating nurseries and you go get the plants and all the advice and plant them!!
    Keep all your fingers and toes and bits crossed that he can get some funding!

*** Edited to add: If interested, phone your local Landcare office. Tell them you want to set aside a part of your land for wildlife, native habitat etc and is there any funding for this at the moment? I reckon it's all there for the asking.....we just have to ask!

6. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

That's fantastic Tully. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

Tam

7. forest

forest Junior Member

Tully, it's a great thing you're doing. I hope it works out how you want it to.

8. ~Tullymoor~

Hi Forest...Muzza musta moved this over here :? it didn't work out after all the phone calls and getting excited :(
    It turned out that the strip of land is smaller than what Landcare care about and no, I was not willing to put a covenant on it :shock:
    Throughout all my investigating though I discovered how many plants we should put in and that I can get them (100 or so) for only 60 cents a tube so we will do it ouselves one day(we'll put in 200 though :D I love all the understorey grasses and stuff) hopefully at the end of summer when the 4 foot plus weeds (looks like canola) have died down.

9. Guest

Tully,

Have you thought about asking friemds to donate plants or "vouchers" for b'days and Christmases? A bunch of us git together and each put in $20 for a friends gift and them went down to one of the local nurseries and asked them to do us a deal on a bulk load of mixed natives. They ended up throwing in a whole heap (about 30) of "almost dead ones" of which my friend only lost 4!! We also had a planting day where everyone bought a plate and had a big nosh up at the end. She loves it cos as she walks through the area she thinks about the day and all her friends, tells me all the plants thrive cos of the "great" energy of the day!!!

10. ~Tullymoor~

Hello Guest....how do you post as a guest? I thought you had to be registered :? :shock: :?
    Are you really somebuddy who forgot to sign in? :oops: If not, why don't you join up and join us :D :D

11. ~Tullymoor~

OOppppsy forgot to say that's a great idea and how lucky your friend is to have had that done for her :D

12. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

MAybe what you could do Tully is have a BBQ and invite everyone, and tell them to bring a Native tree instead of a salad... Natives sell from for $1 - $2 here...

Also check IGA supermarkets as some of them have programs where you can get a free tree for every $20 spent,, or something of that nature :) I'd come to your BBQ and bring $10 trees... And then I will get pissed and sleep in the folly :)

13. ~Tullymoor~

Too funny Dan...sleep in The Folly!! It's all growing in The Folly, have to actually take out the daisies, they'll get way too big for it.

The whole come-to-the-barby-thing won't work for us as we have moved way way away from everone who'd come and I'm a bit of an antisocial hemit type....I know, you wouldn't pick it would ya? :lol: :lol:

Have you got any chooks yet??? I can get you chooks if you wanna drive all the way here (and not expect too much socially from me LMAO) and collect them. I know a few "old boys" through my local club, they have heaps of different breeds and I guess they'll be knowing what they're culling now. But, I was thinking you should maybe wait until you get your place and then it all up properly just the once. Did your investment property sell?? What's happening??

14. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Funny, so am I. You wouldn't pick it, would you. The 2 biggest gas baggers on the forum! :lol:

Tam

15. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Tully,

I'd be happy to send you a box of mixed native tube-stock (surplus plants from my production for the farm). You could get your mum to pick them up from the markets and drop them to you next time you see her?

Steve

16. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Steve, mate great work..

Well I'm a total extravert, and you know when I have walked in the room :)

Place hasn't sold... Long story, but basiclly they wanted something for nothing... and well becuase I didn't NEED to sell,, I wasn't making any bargins... 'I had a house I didn't need to sell, he didn't have a house and needed one' As far as I was concerned he didn't need it that much if he wasn't willing to pay for it. Sorta sucks when there is only one realestate agent in town and they are trying to serve both the needs of the seller and the buyer, and have the market totally sown up. Having said all that, with out selling the house. the other one would leave us a little thin, as we are lloking at having kids soon (So back to 1 income)..
    We have spied this place https://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... t=&header=
    ONly half acre of land, but more in a price range that will allow us to have 2 houses and one income..

17. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Dan, that's a real shame. But at least you're not letting your heart rule your head. Very sensible.

Hope things work out better soon,

Tam

18. ~Tullymoor~

Steevie Weevie! That is SO kind and generous of you....thought you were a hard bastard?? :D :D I've got sweaty eyeballs now... :cry:
    Unless Mum'll post them to me though they'd be a giant forest by the time I can get them. No plans to be heading there in the near future :(
    When are you at the Merimbula market next?

19. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Tully,

I do Merimbula the 2nd Sunday of every month and Candelo the 1st Sunday of the month If you PM your PO box or a postal address and I will pop them off to you save your mum a trip.

Steve