forum question and suggestion

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by pebble, Jul 1, 2009.

1. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Would it be possible to put a direct link to the main site at the top of the forum page? Also the 'phpBB' could be replaced with a photo or something PC.

I was looking for the photos on the main site, have they gone?

2. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Re: forum question and suggestion -also

hi :) hi

hope it is ok to tag on to this post....
    we used to get feedback on users; how many now, most ever etc.
    i liked this.
    also we used to be able to message, i think by going through a 'who is online window',,,so many registered users, so may guests, so many hidden users etc.
    i also liked this.
    because i am an intermittent user, i doubtless missed the bit where you explained what was going on.
    sorry to be a bore.

also i concur with pebbles: why have this 'stock' shop front when even a 'skin' would be preferable. There are nice green skins i believe.
    anyway, good job, well done - it is a big thing this place...needs a 'look' commensurate with its fame. Do the yahoo and google bots ever leave this site?
    regards, Kimbo

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Re: forum question and suggestion

So, does anyone know what's happened to the photos?

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

The forum was down for a day or so about a month back (hacked or something). It was reinstalled (updated) I think and the header hasn't been re-updated since.

We also need a link in the main header for "View New Posts" so it can be accessed from any page rather than returning to the home page or opening a new tab for each new page.

I don't know about Michael or Bill but I don't have ftp or html access to update those types of things.

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Nice to see the new banner at the top of the page :)

Can we please not have the maps/flags though :(

I get that they link to the Autralian and US PRIs, but they look weird.... not sure what it is but it's too nationalistic, almost jingoistic. And exclusionary. As a kiwi I find it really offputting.

You could make the text PRI links a bit bigger if you need to have access on the banner.

6. kimbo.parker

hey new banner; pity it sucks.

I nearly crapped me dacks when it came up, I thought the feds were on to you guys for sure...

it makes me want to stand up :butthead:

it is fairly nationalistic isn't it; i sort of like the australian emblem but the US job looks like a pooch has ragged the flag.

jeeze, I enjoy a joke and this banner cracks me up...and what is that shiny tear drop thingy,,,it is no leaf ! : and whos refection is that?...you've got to get up close :lol:

what brief did you give the graphic designer - something along the lines of " well the site is about permaculture (what?), it's this australian/american joint venture to do with saving the world. :lol:

so i understand we let kiwis on this site; jeeze, is there any one we don't let on? (perhaps we could use their flag).

seriously though,

we let kiwis on?.......
    the banner was just a crafty way of getting them to show themselves?..........can't we just have a picture of a collapsing ecosystem.

regards Kimbo

:wink: pebbles

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

:lol:

You're very naughty Kimbo.

I can't make out the reflection in the teardrop, what are you seeing?

It's interesting to look at the banner in terms of what it's trying to project and who it's trying to attract. Even leaving out the mapflags, it's very formal looking. Like it would attract academic types. I'm not sure it's going to appeal to the dirt on your hands, hauling cow shit and peastraw in the back of your ute crowd that I had assumed most of us were ;-)

(the race is on, whose ecosystem is going to collapse first? Maybe we shouldn't be letting Ozzies on here :razz: )

8. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

In the words of the great Kenny... "You can't please everyone..." :D

9. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Is that an official response from a moderator Eric?

10. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

lol... no, wasn't meant to be personal. I was just thinking how one could fit every country in the header :?:

... i think perhaps a globe... an animated transparent gif over the main header would be kewl...

well done to nate for the changes. All it needs is more Organic matter :lol:

11. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

:)

Why put any countries in the banner? (although a case can be made for making the US more aware that permaculture originated in Oz and is a global practice. Maybe PRI USA needs an Ozzie flag too ;-) )

The text PRI links seem a good idea. The mapflags seem completely unnecessary, and like I said exclusionary. I can understand why the main pages have maps on them, but I thought the forum was meant to be international.

Yes, thank-you Nate for your work, I wasn't sure who was doing this.

12. kimbo.parker

So if I understand you correctly eric, NATE DID IT ! ( CQ CQ CQ Nate dit it )
    Well Well Well,
    All that was lacking was the 'who'......

Now our angst has a name, Nate.

If you spell Nate backwards youe get etan, which is latvian for Naff. Naff is like naming your property "Dundreamin" or 'Disilldo'....it is the art on the back of a cereal packet, it is sans taste, pulp, devoid of imagination or flare it is the LCD, the lowest common denominator....

still, now we know whos reflection it is deep within the 'shiny blue tear' - this is more of the latvain shit where popular culture has an 'ice tear' hung from the front door when you want to be left alone....etan my man - clever.

regards, Kimbo