Forum Idea...

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Jez, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Jez

Jez Junior Member

I was wondering, would anyone else find it useful and would it be possible for us to have a permanent thread up the top where the helpful info threads are, which contains links to free information about various subjects?

It's nice to all have our personal libraries and bookmarks, but for those of us on limited budgets who often have to forego buying information on a certain subject, it would be nice to have a store of useful links to free information on permaculture and other useful related subjects. It would also help those who have questions and are starting from scratch be able to ask more advanced questions and therefore get better help from those more expert in a given subject - they don't have to spend time explaining the basics or giving out links over and over again.

Many sites have links to other resources etc, and there are many archived threads here with great links to sites...but it is harder every day to wade back through them...and perhaps most telling, great links to information about one subject are often contained in a thread about a totally different subject... :lol:

Sometimes the person who kindly offered up a link might not be around anymore to do it again...this is lost free advice and expertise that can't afford to be lost IMHO... :(

And lets not forget the multitude of people too shy to ask questions or register... :wink:

Anyway, it's just a suggestion to kick around...this is something we did at another forum I post at and it turned out to be a really useful thing...a free online virtual database of subject based information packed into a small HTML thread. You can refresh the thread dropping off the commentary now and again when it fills up - that leaves room for discussion of the links and the posting of new links while keeping the whole batch of links together...

Any thoughts on this? Too hard? Worth a go?

2. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I'm trying to collect links over on my site, that have free information, or a Paid service that is well worth it. None of the links on my site are sponsored. All there are put there becuase I believe their products and service are good.

3. murray

murray Junior Member

this is a great idea.

i'm happy to make a stickie with the best, must-read articles from the forum and the best links outward. do people wanna submit their stuff to this thread?

i'll take it and compile it into a single message and leave it at the top.

4. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Great idea,
    I've been thinking about trying to cut and paste posts and web address to keep for my own benifit...this will make life much easier...esp for folk like me with very slow dial up web access and not the flashiest computers.
    Thanks again Murray and many of those waving arm, you are the greatest emoticans Chris is fond of posting.
    Cathy

5. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Thanks Murray...hopefully it's a valuable resource for everyone.

I'll throw one in to start off - I've found this site helpful for me in working out a ton of information about all these new tropical trees I've inherited and am intending to grow...it's mighty good just to browse as well.

Some of the common names don't work so well (sometimes slight differences in spelling in the Northern Hemisphere), so full botanic name can often produce better results. I've been researching Sesbania grandiflora (Agati) and Hibiscus sabdariffa (Rosella) among others if anyone wants to check out some examples in the database...this site had way more detail (some of it quite surprising) than any other free information I could find.

https://www.worldagroforestry.org/sea/Products/AFDbases/af/index.asp

6. murray

murray Junior Member

anyone else?

don't forget, we're talking great topics & discussions not only out on the intarwebs, but in here as well.

7. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Jez,

Thanks for that link. What a nice resource.

C

8. murray

murray Junior Member

9. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Thanks Murray...enough links from that page to keep someone busy for a few months! :lol:

C'mon folks, I know you've all got great links to things...I can't imagine why nobody is sharing them... :(

Well, I can, but I won't...

Help your fellow Permie's on low incomes and starting out...it'll only take 1 minute of your time...and you might change somebody's life for the better...good reward for 1 minutes work... :D

10. forest

forest Junior Member

11. Jez

Jez Junior Member

ATTRA - National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service:

https://attra.ncat.org/

Companion Planting Table and DIY instructions for building ancient Native American Gardens:

https://www.attra.org/attra-pub/complant.html

Murray, I'm not familiar with this software...is there a way to code a link so it just reads as a description rather than a web address?

I've only ever done it like this...

*Backslash*newurl{web address,description}

Just a thought to make things a little more concise to read.

12. murray

murray Junior Member

yeah -

you do it like this:

[ url = https://www.somewebaddress.com ]description text[ /url ]

i had to insert spaces so it wouldn't try to render it as a website, so just remove the spaces, put in your own data and it should work.

13. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Murray, that woulda taken you a heap of time to prepare.
    Do you just type really really fast or have you got heaps of time on your hands?

14. murray

murray Junior Member

tam - do you mean the del.icio.us link i posted earlier?

15. Jez

Jez Junior Member

16. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

17. forest

forest Junior Member