Food Forest in Italy

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by groen, May 2, 2012.

1. groen

groen Junior Member

Any ideas on which trees would do well in Italy in a food forest?

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Hi Groen,

What part of Italy (I assume not all of Italy is the same)? What is the climate, soil, aspect etc?

What already grows in the area - both cultivated and wild/naturalised?

3. CATCH

CATCH Junior Member

Were exactly is your geographic location mate

4. groen

groen Junior Member

It is in the southern hills of Tuscany. (I think it is around 350m above sea level...)
    Winters can be cold and a bit wet, but summers are warm and dryer.
    I know that there are lots of wild oak and even apple trees and berries, so we want to plant lots of nut and fruit (incl olive) trees and berries and hopefully some grape vines.
    But I don't know what trees would do well there.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Your best bet is to get what is already growing there. Talk to neighbors, go to local nurseries, do some research online for your area. If you are wanting to plant fruit trees check for chill hours and pollinators. I live in a Mediterranean climate, but there are lots of things I can't grow here, so see if you can talk to the locals as much as possible and see what's already there. :)

6. groen

groen Junior Member

Yes, I know. Thanks. It's still a while before we will be there to ask around, so I want to get some info in the meantime.
    :)

7. adiantum

adiantum Junior Member

When you look at books and other resources, pay attention to where they are coming from and where the authors'/teachers' majority of experience lies. For instance, the popular "Edible Forest Gardens" books are often quoted as the ultimate resource for food forest design, and I've seem people on this forum living in tropical climates asking if particular plants listed in these references will do well for them!! The books were written by two designers from Massachusetts (USA) and they (Especially the plant lists!) have a distinct cool-temperate bias. As others have suggested, nothing replaces on-site observation and obtaining local knowledge. This is a huge challenge for good design in a culture obsessed with mobility and transition....where is the time to take a year to observe a site when there is settlement to consider...buildings, gardens. etc.? An experienced designer can often fast-track this observation process by means of good landscape reading skills, and from there a basic template of placement can take shape. And in much of the world, people have been living and surviving for millennia, and in most climates and landscapes a few plants, animals, and systems stand out....they're common, they're popular because they work and are reliable. In many cases this will be coming from older sites and older wisdom that hasn't been homogenized and overrun by big agribusiness.

8. groen

groen Junior Member

Thanks! Yes, i always look at what's grown locally, and in the wild.
    I was hoping someone on this site might have particular information for trees in the mediterranean climate...

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Lemons.

This is an odd coincidence. I was researching Chinampa's and found this: Lemon Gardens

As with all things permaculture, it's all about your climate, soil, waterfall, and your own research / observations that will bring you to the promised land of happiness. :)

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Gaia's Garden has extensive lists of plants for Mediterranean climate, As do most other Permaculture books. Maybe check a few out at the local library?

11. groen

groen Junior Member

Thanks Pakanohida, I'll have a look straight away!! ;)

12. groen

groen Junior Member

Amazing!! thanx