Flowers

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by annette, Aug 13, 2012.

1. annette

annette Junior Member

Got some voilas today!!

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I definitely second the cosmos. I am having more fun with them. There are several kinds, one is called Double Click with two colors on each petal, they bloom constantly and are easy and fun to deadhead.

I plant flowers to cheer me up, and to bring in beneficial insects, and some of them even deter gophers, like the sunflowers. I grow the smaller sunflowers for cutting, and some will shoot out six hand-sized flowers on one stem, very lovely for a landscaping plant.

I love the scent of heliotrope, like baby powder, but I don't have good luck with it. I am trying carnations this year from seed so they are a little slow, but do well. I am also doing Shasta Daisies that the deer and rodents will leave alone. Nasturtiums are great, and although the seeds are expensive, if you let them go to seed they will show up year after year.

Geraniums are just about my favorite for color, and ease of care, and ability to thrive in tough conditions. There are jewel tones and pastel tones, some that stand upright and some that trail. They do well in pots and in the ground, in partial shade and sun.

HHH, wow, your photos always blow me away! how lovely! :)

3. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Thanks Annette and Sweetpea. x

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

The original "Johnson's baby powder" fragrance was taken from Carolina Jasmine ( Gelsemium sempervirens). Take time to smell it next when you pass it (also used as a medicinal plant by American Indians).

Heliotrope, to me smells more like Vanilla/Vanilla Ice cream.
    Have you noticed the flowers always point to the sun? Hence its name Helios (sun) trope (follow)
    There seems to be a number of varieties all with different growth habits but the same flowers.

My Dad used to grow Cosmos, they always remind me of happy times, when he was well, and therefore the Garden looked well too

5. annette

annette Junior Member

I bought a purple Heliotrope and put it in the middle of the garden. To me it smells like Johnsons baby powder but a little sweeter. It is entrancing. It is in some shade so I hope it grows well.