Fleas?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PDB, Dec 8, 2007.

1. PDB

PDB Junior Member

OK I was just in the garden planting some seeds. I was kneeling on the sugercane much and there was millions of these things all over my legs. What are thay? and can I stop them?
    Thanks Paul

2. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

can you get a magnifying lens or something to magnify one so you can see what it is ?

3. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks permasculptor
    I might look with a magnifiy glass and sketch it. Oh thanks for the tansy ofer to. and can i ask what do you sculpt?
    Paul

4. permasculptor

mostly stone Paul,I did about seven years of hebel aerated cement at local markets but have moved on to better things. Most of my recent activity revolves around being a home dad of my two year old son and seven week old daughter.and permie,ing up this place.Tansy is starting to flower!:)
    do you know of Diotomatious earth it sounds usefull (when dry).
    https://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/DE_prod.html

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

6. PDB

PDB Junior Member

That sounds good yes hebal is good for carving i had some offcuts from a job and did some carving with it. I'm a antique furniture restorer by trade so usally carve wood. I am just getting out of the building game and starting to be a stay at home Dad. I have heard little about Diotomatious earth. whats it good for?
    Paul

7. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Have you moved up from more southern areas?

Sand flies were a completely new thing to us when we came to Brisbane, we don't have any birds or cats and we definetly get them. They are very small, to the point of being almost invisible.

Perhaps this is what you have? Our solution is to go inside when we are getting eaten (usuully as the sun is going over the horizon and it's getting dark) - bushmans seems to work, but that is a last resort (for us).

8. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Definatly not sand flies have had them up in bundy. They do sound just like bird mites but my chooks havent been where the sugar cane mulch is. These are just like fleas they run up your legs. Yes paradisi the only good cat i know of is a dead cat. Pisspoorpeformer mrs PDB was curious about your name?

9. permasculptor

I have'nt used DE but i've read a bit about it. It mechanically and chemically wears their shells so they dry out. If they are jumping onto your legs they are probably fleas if they are crawling they are probably not fleas.

10. ppp

ppp Junior Member

PDB.. my name? I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time.. the other part of the 7 p's is "Proper Prior Preparation Prevents...[piss poor performance]" so I guess I'm saying I'm not yet properly prepared.

11. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

I have found that topping off my mulch with a layer of lemon grass seems to deter bugs. This was just a happy accident but googled lemon grass after that and it apparently contains citronella. I now have it in the henhouse and the nesting boxes. I also attach ibundles to my screen door to try to stop the mozzies sitting on the screen waiting for the door to open. Seems to be helping. Anything is worth a try isn't it?

12. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks TropicalRose
    I will give that a go
    Paul

13. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Hi all,

I use DE dust on my dog for his fleas, as well as carpets, dog bedding and the back seat of the car.

He gets the usual flea/heartworm/other stuff treatment as a pill once a month. However, by 2 weeks after treatment he's crawling with fleas again especially after playing with other dogs. I think there are some seriously resistant flea strains in Sydney. The best thing the vet could say was to give him two kinds of systemic flea treatment (yeah, like that is going to make it better), then in the same breath wondered if DE would hurt him.

I got my DE from Green Harvest, food grade 5kg. Works a treat, the fleas go from being fast and hard to kill to slow and squashable with fingers/comb (a bit gross but better than his sad face).

It works until it gets wet, by which time its pretty useless, so I don't think it would work too well on mulch.

The lemongrass sounds like a good idea, else try some coir (ground coconut husks) mixed though to change the moisture conditions.

Good luck

Ichsani

14. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

DE sounds the way to go

read some of the labels on dog flea treatment and shampoos and does anyone remember Sarin gas?

this may be his last treatment - - we've noticed that he gets extremely sore paws around the time of the flea drops - but haven't been sure, so this time its a daily log to see what happens.

frontline isn't worth the packaging - just doesn't work in SEQ - advantage worked last month, will see if there are any resistant fleas this month - or any sore paws.

I contacted frontline about it not working - early in the year and was told to apply weekly if necessary - nice little earner for them

COntacted advantage about the sore paws - no reply

has anyone else noticed sore paws or joints when you give them flea drops??

15. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Hi Paradisi,

I've been through frontline and advantage as well, they wore off totally in about a week, and there was always some fleas left on him. Not good. I also got told to up the doses :cry:. Definitely a nice little earner. I'm not comfortable giving it to him once a month let alone weekly (not to mention how expensive this would be).

I'm sorry to hear about your dogs sore paws, does he limp around?

I've used the drops on my dog and he always gets very sooky/grouchy for about two days after, he hates the drops. That why I switched to pills.

In contrast, when he sees me pick up the little shaker of DE dust, he wags his tail, does his little doggy smile and obligingly comes over and rolls on his back for a light dust. I then slap the dust lightly into his fur and he gets up and tries to lick my ear whilst wagging his little tail. He loves it.

Am thinking when he gets older and less active/social, I'll use DE only, but will keep using something for the heartworm and tapeworm.

By the looks of my bag of DE, that stuff goes a long way. Well worth it.

Ichsani

PS

Also if fleas are bad, dust dog liberally and slap (lightly) into fur, wait maybe an hour or two and then bathe with normal dog shampoo. All the fleas come out in the lather. If dog is long haired you might have to comb them out. Do all other bedding and stuff as usual.

16. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Neem is fantastic for all the above things...and so many others.

17. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

I get the heartworm injections from the vet. It kills heartworm, fleas & ticks and I reckon we've got less mozzies too. Lasts a month to six weeks so not bad value for all that.

18. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: sore feet.

Is he licking them? If the hair is light-colored, is it turning an ugly reddish-brown? If so, it's likely to be an allergy, esp a grass allergy. My dog has it almost all year. (The reddish color is his saliva reacting to the hair.)

Sue

19. askerman

askerman Guest

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is DE Dust? I have searched through my GreenHarvest catalogue and can't find what you are referring to. It sounds like just the thing to try on our dog to control the fleas.
    Thanks,
    Ange

20. Soleil.Lunar

Soleil.Lunar Junior Member

Pennyroyal

We spray out chook house with pennyroyal (variety of mint - mentha pulegium) solution once a week. 20% pennyroyal essential oil diluted 1 in 10 in water. We also do the dog bedding on a regular basis. The older dog loves rolling in her bedding after it has been sprayed. I have seen the solution spray lightly over carpet and watched as all the insects in the carpet race up the walls to try and get away from it.