Fleas infestation

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Antonino Giglio, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

Dear friends,
    I've the carpet in my house infested by fleas.
    I'm already treating my cat but I'm looking for a solution for the carpet.
    I've spread salt all over as I read somewhere to use it.
    Someone of you knows something about it?
    What other solutions are there?
    Thanx!!!
    Antonino

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day antonio,

well mate 2 chioces the way i see it get a flea bomb a chemical flea control device from a pest controller or hardware etc.,. or the best thing mulch the carpet and lay floor tiles. oh if you go for the bomb (probable the only choice outside of carpet removal or pest controller) let your neighbours know if you live in suburbia maybe even talk to the firebrigade just in case someone sees smoke eminating from beneath your doors.

len :?

3. Antonino Giglio

Thanks for the suggestions, my only choice would be to go for the Fleas Bomb as it is not my house and cannot remove the carpet...

But.. they'll make lots of smoke???

4. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

You could also spray a solution of diluted Tea Tree Oil,(this may need a few applications), or get your carpets cleaned....

Cheers Dave

5. AmandaM

AmandaM Junior Member

Discouraging the fleas from returning

Hi Antonio,

I realise you will probably opt for the flea-bomb under the circumstances, I recommend that in addition you thoroughly vacuum around skirting boards and any cracks in the house, as these are places where eggs will often sit unnoticed. Also, wash all your bedding in a hot cycle if the fabric can handle it and dry in the sun for a full day. If the fabrics are too delicate, wash them as normal and place in the freezer for a couple of days to kill any eggs. Do the same for any curtains. Remove the cushions from your couch and vacuum in the cracks, vacuum your mattresses and so on - fleas are wiley little buggers if you let them move in.

To discourage a return visit, try to ensure that the cat is receiving enough sulphur in his/her diet, as external parasites seem to target animals that are deficient in sulphur (people too). Also, avoid feeding your cat canned food, as this contains a lot of sugar which the fleas and mosquitoes just love! A couple of books to read to help you to formulate a healthy diet for your pets - Ian Billinghurst, "Give your dog a bone" and "The BARF diet" Pat Coleby, "Natural Pet Care". Read BOTH authors to get the full picture, it is fascinating where they diverge in philosophy, but my feeling is that Billinghurst has it right when he suggests that an animals diet should mimic as closely as possible that of their wild cousins. Coleby on the other hand recognises the inherent mineral deficiences of the foods that we buy for human and animal consumption and has strategies to address these deficiencies through the use of supplements, her aversion to feeding them primary proteins is bizarre in my opinion, but you need to make your own mind up about that.

Good Luck

Amanda

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I can help with this one!!! Quick and easy and safe flea killer!!

Mix equal parts of 20 Mule Team Borax and baking soda, shake onto the carpet, let it sit overnight, vacuum up. Shake sparingly under pet blankets, inside cars. Repeat once a week for a few weeks, then back off to see how often you need to use it.

I struggled with those poisonous bombs for years out of shear desperation. Once I started doing this, no more fleas!

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is also a good weapon against fleas. It looks like fine flour, but is made up of sharp-edged sea diatoms. The powder works under the carapaces of fleas & other beetle-type creatures and dehydrates & kills them. It is non-toxic, but the dust shouldn't be breathed, so wear a dust mask or bandana when distributing it. Farmers feed small amounts to their stock to keep down flies, etc.

If you use a flea bomb, you MUST make sure that it says that it lasts for 4-7 months. That kind distributes a hormonal growth-regulator. No bomb will kill the many eggs in your house, but the bomb with the growth regulator will prevent the newly-hatched larvae from growing into adults. Also, if your vacuum has a paper collection bag, vacuum thoroughly, then discard or burn the bag. If you keep it in the house, the eggs will hatch and the fleas will redistribute themselves throughout the house again.

Sue

8. Antonino Giglio

thanx everyone!
    i've used the bombs with the hormonal growth-regulator.
    it seems the situation has improved but i wait to check thoroughly.
    a deep thanks to all of you!!!
    antonino

9. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

i had great success with using pyrethrum spray ( follow the bottle) after the local vet recommend it to me to control them on the dog chairs/beds and soft outdoor stuff. you need to do it once a week for a few weeks as it only kills the fleas bu :) t with in three week all the eggs have hatch and died. we haven;t had a flea problem since.

10. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

If your house is on a suspended floor as opposed to a concrete slab, you should treat the sub floor area also, as eggs can lie dormant in the soil for a long time. The flea eggs start hatching in spring and all of a sudden you've got this huge problem.

We had a flea problem upon moving into both of our last 2 homes. When we were painting our last house, we would be kneeling on the floor painting the skirting boards and literally watch the fleas leaping up from the carpet. Our ankles were covered in bites and unlike mozzies, I've been told that fleas will bite you several times in one meal so your skin can end up quite a mess.

We were told that fleas prefer dogs and cats to humans so make sure you have one (dog or cat) in the house for the fleas to jump on in preference. Then grab your pet and either treat with a herbal treatment available from produce stores or catch the fleas and squash them by hand. They have a very hard shell so need to be crushed between your fingernails. If you roll your pet over on it's back, you'll see them scurrying around on his tummy where there's not as much hair.

Be prepared for another invasion when winter's over though. You should probably treat your subfloor with a pyrethrum (sp?) spray every couple of weeks until the end of summer to kill them as they emerge, and treat any pet bedding, baskets, kennels etc.

I had my horses on the Pat Coleby diet and from memory, it was the copper sulfate you would use to treat internal an external parasites. Beware though about overdosing as it's toxic in high doses.

Best of luck.

P.S. In the past. we used Mortein Flea bombs but with little success. Waste of money actually as they're quite costly. You need to use them in a confined space and keep the doors and windows closed for several hours. And NO, there wasn't any smoke billowing from beneath the doors.

11. Antonino Giglio

Thanks guys 4 your precious suggestions!!!
    Actually I've used flies bomb and it seems for the moment to have worked.
    I've also spread, after 1 week, salt and baking soda and left it on the carpet for 1 week.
    Hopefully it is now ok..
    We also treated the cat with something given by the vet.
    I will keep in mind your sugegstion thought as who knows if they are really gone 4ever...
    Ciauuuuu!!!!
    Tony

12. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I hope it wasn't good carpet. Salt is extremely corrosive. Both to the carpet AND to the vacuum cleaner that sucks it up.

Sue

13. Antonino Giglio

ha ha ha... too late... sigh...
    the carpoet is new (the past owner change it b4 selling the house to the present owner) but the salt didn't damage it at all.
    fortunately it is perfect.
    ciauuuuuuu

14. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

So far.

sue

15. greenlivingaustralia

greenlivingaustralia Junior Member

Brewers Yeast

I had ground fleas infesting a ground floor unit and did not want to "flea bomb" the place as I don't exactly like breathing a chemical cocktail. It was suggested I try yeast, so I sprinkled "Brewers Yeast" all over the carpet and guess what no more fleas, they just moved out and I vacuumed up the yeast a few days later. I did need to redo the yeast treatment a few times over a few weeks to get the hatching eggs, but it was easy and chemical free :D .

Now slightly off subject but interesting never the less, I visited family to find that the pets had been banned fronm the house as they were bringing in fleas. The only thing was I could find no fleas .... yet my niece had "flea bites" all over her ankles ..... so bad that she was scratching her ankles in her sleep till they bled. ---- Well it did not take me long to discover that her "flea bites" were symptoms of an allergic reaction to a preservative [ no 223 ] sodium metabisulphate, found in many drinks and cordials. We thew out the offending products and guess what, the non-existant fleas moved out.