First eggs

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by gg, Aug 4, 2007.

1. gg

gg Junior Member

I know for some of you this is hohum, but it is sooo gratifying to see the first small brown eggs in the nest box. :D I don't know what's more fun, building the henhouse, raising chicks, feeding the girls, calling them and having them run to you to see what's up, finding eggs, or eating them (the eggs I mean.) lol Even cleaning their house is fun. Chickens, the ultimate recycling program all the way around.

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Onya gg! :thumbright:

3. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

gg, I've had chooks before and found it a buzz to get the first eggs. Now I've got chooks again and I still found it a buzz. Funny isn't it? BTW, my initials are gg too and I've just got my first little brown eggs from my new batch of hens. And I find the chooks endearing too. Something in common.

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

1st

Its a great feeling when the first egg pops out. Makes the wait so worth while.

And aren't they a special taste. So rich in colour and taste, and the shells are so much harder than anything you can buy in a shop (and I haven't bought caged bird eggs for more than 20 years)

good onya, hope you have many more.

5. gg

gg Junior Member

Of course I immediately ate the first eggs in an omelet. Besides the taste and color I was truly amazed at the texture and body. I mean those eggs fluffed up high! Like a souffle. I can't imagine how an angel food cake is going to be with these egg whites!

I have 6 hens and at least 4 are taking turns laying now. I already have people waiting to buy extras from me! They will most definitely pay their way.

They get to play in the yard all day and get the best of everything plus all the leftovers. they are so clean and so beautiful and so sparkly of eye and red of comb and watlles and eyes they seem to shoot fire.
    I love how they are so friendly. They all know their name and when I am running a bit late, they all troop up to the kitchen door and look in. lol :p

Yes they are so worth it!

I had just closed them up the other evening when all of a sudden a crazy big dog got loose from its owner walking by and headed directly to the chicken house and was jumping against it. I completely forgot t be afraid of strange dogs and ran screaming at him, grabbed his collor and had him in a choke hold and dragged him out to the owner. I yelled at that poor woman that if I EVER caught that dog on my property again, I'd kill it! Oh dear. :oops: who knew how protective I would get over them, but after raising them from day old chicks...well.

I am pounding holes in this lava earth with a Hawaiian "toothpick" (a large iron bar) now, getting ready to fence in a bit for their own safety. We've had 3 quakes in the last 3 days. Hmmm, maybe I'm pounding just a bit too hard.

6. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Might be that dog shaking at the memory of you grabbing him LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Jackie K

7. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

My 4 chooks havent got round to laying eggs yet - we've had them 3 weeks and two days, supposed to have been point of lay. Anyway, they weren't fully grown then, as they are much bigger now, and the purpose built chook pen we got was much too small, so we built a nice extension for them to run around in. I give them laying pellets and fresh greens (kitchen greens etc, weeds, and gone-to-seed pak choi cabbage). They get fresh water, straw and grass cuttings on the ground, and we've provided perches and laying boxes. They are so cute to watch, that I don't really mind that they are a bit slow producing eggs. In any case, I get the manure for my compost bin, and also to make liquid manure.
    It is nice to sit out in the back garden, drinking tea or homebrew and just watching their antics.

8. gg

gg Junior Member

One thing I am a bit confused about si that all the chicks were the same size and age (i assume) when I got them. Now some are laying and some haven't started yet. I think there are 4/6 laying so far. Only 1-2 are laying daily. The others are liek every other day. Some days I get 2 eggs, others I get 4. Is it normal for different rates of development like this?

9. teela

teela Junior Member

Yep gg pretty normal, especially in winter going into spring. They just need to get in the swing of things.
    Did you say earthquakes earlier? Arghhhh how scary, where are you located?

10. gg

gg Junior Member

I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Earth has been very active here lately. You can see the glow at night from the volcano as well as lots of small quakes and some medium 4. and 5. quakes. Of course there has been a lot of activity worldwide lately, it seems.