Federal Election 14th September 2013

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by annette, Jan 30, 2013.

1. annette

annette Junior Member

Apart from the tediously long election campaign about to happen:sweat: this gives all some good time to hassle, lobby and bombard members and potential members about issues that are important to each of us.

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Quite a clever strategic move, it will focus more scrutiny on Abbott's 'policies' and costings and shine a light on where his cuts will occur.
    Downside is the voters who actually decide election* outcomes will be bored and disinterested as usual but for longer.

*Need to establish some grass roots permie reprogramming amongst the people of Western Sydney

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It is an interesting strategy. I wonder if there has ever been such as long lead time before?
    On the down side it means we are going to be subjected to campaign propaganda for a looooong time....

4. annette

annette Junior Member

From what I can gather it is the longest lead time ever into a federal election. Well I suppose the campaign had already started anyway because the libs had ads running on tv. May have to turn off the tv till september. Wouldn't be such a bad thing. :)

5. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Do we still have TV in Australia? Julia will get axed and sadly the replacement is no better. She never should have knifed Rudd. This will stick in peoples minds and this time they will make sure they get it right. They almost did .

I never see us better off regardless of who gets in. I thought it was funny that the Qld Government is using the water grid they canned so much in Oposition.

6. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Couldn't agree more Brian. I seriously am thinking about a non-vote. My SO told me that many, many years ago his old granny was peeved at all pollies so at the polling booth she just drew a nice picture of a sleepy lizard on the vote slip (why the lizard I have no idea lol) and popped that in the box! I am so disenchanted with the pollies at the moment. :(
    Happily, we only have TV on about 2 hours a week and for me that's 2 hours too many. I can't listen to all that stuff, it does my head in and make me feel depressed.

7. Grasshopper

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

If only we could get more like this one:

[video=youtube;BJtRDHcpD0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJtRDHcpD0w[/video]

9. PlantingPete

PlantingPete Junior Member

There is a third option THE SEX PARTY at least they believe in a good time. :)

10. Grasshopper

I would be willing to relax my opposition to cloning if we could put him on every ticket.

11. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I listened to the Leader of the Sex Party I think she was anyway on ABC Radio. She was talking about Child Abuse and how the Churchs had to come clean back in the 90's I think it was. She recieved death threats and the Political Parties howled her down for making such comments. Even some pollies were abusing kids and had the hide to have a go at her. Keith Wright ring a bell. Well the lady has been proven right and nobody appologised to her for standing up for the kids. I would vote for her because she believes in what is right. Churches have lost all credability and if you think different go and tell all those poor abused kids and now adullts that they weren't abused they must have been mistaken.

Till the political Parties stop bowing to those child molesting churches and those who go all out to protect and hide it, what hope have we got. Even Julia does.t believe in God, probaly her only good point.

12. ecodharmamark

G'day Pete

Now if only we could get the HEMP Party to form a coalition with the Sex Party, then we could all really have a good time in the lead up to the election, regardless of who wins it.

Cheerio, Markos

13. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    My time for a spray - sorry Brian but I am sick to death of people who say Ms Gillard knifed Kevin Rudd. The situation as I see it was that the powerful mining magnates were worried that Mr Rudd would take some for their super profits they stood to make selling Australian resources over seas. They made his position untenable and the party was in jepodary so an alternative was found in Ms gillard to save the government. We need to stop running down our elected leader and start supporting our hope for any future. AND ON THIS THEME - i WAS CONFRUNTED THE OTHER DAY BY THE BIG lie THING OVER THE CARBON TAX. oiT MUST BE KNOWN BY ALL BUT THE MOST NEANDERTHAL ( sorry caps lock) that the situation when the statement was made changed under a hung parliment and compromises had to be made. This is the government that Australians voted for - no absolute majority and a balance of power to greens and independants. This is what we asked for as a nation and no matter who you voted for you must get behind the decision of the whole nation and support the current government till the election and stop the b-sh#t

14. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I agree PP.

There is not enough anger about what the mining corps did. It is because Big Corp. pretty much run the commercial media, and propaganda wars are hard to beat. It amazes me that people can form such tight beliefs and opinions based on the rantings of so called journalists with vested interests without ever actually bothering themselves with facts and evidence.

Personal responsibility.

15. ecodharmamark

G'day Grahame
    In case you missed it, Big Mining (aka Hancock Prospecting, aka Gina, aka the world's richest women) is coming to a bioregion within our home state:

Rinehart branches out into oil and gas

One of Gina Rinehart's companies has invested more than $4 million in a Victorian-based gas exploration firm.

Lakes Oil has announced a $4.25 million investment by a subsidiary of Mrs Rinehart's Western Australian iron ore giant Hancock Prospecting.

The deal gives Hancock Prospecting's subsidiary an 18.6 per cent interest in the Gippsland-based exploration company.

Part of the deal is the appointment of mining expert and climate change sceptic, Professor Ian Plimer, as a director of Lakes Oil.

The chairman of Lakes Oil, Rob Annells, says the appointment of Professor Plimer to the Board will strengthen the company's position.

"He's had tremendous experience in the mining business and so we'll have the benefit of that, plus he's of international standing which once again will help us at a later stage when we're looking for funding for development," he said.

Mr Plimer currently serves on the boards of four listed resources companies and three unlisted companies, including the Hancock Prospecting group.

Lakes Oil says the current plan is for another Hancock nominee to be appointed as a non-executive director in due course.

The key players are:

Gina Rinehart/Hancock Prospecting

Lakes Oil

Ian Plimer

Sad times ahead for the social and ecological fabric of Gippsland.

Markos

16. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Not the richest WOman for long well on her way to becoming the world’s richest person

This was an Oz election spray from a FB friend of mine

17. annette

annette Junior Member

I think the mood in the electorate is one of anger and disillusionment with politics and politicians full stop. You can bet your sweet bippy the deals that go on behind the scenes rule policy to the advantage of big corps and the very weathy under the guise of creating jobs and boosting economic growth, citing the trickle down effect to the masses. Well hogwash. The mining companies pulled the biggest swindle ever with their media campaign to scare people and the pollies caved in.

I think the bigger question we should be asking is, and it's the age old question, "Does the end justify the means?". Do you reneg on promises if situations change? Do you do a backdoor deal to get what you want? Do you drop your values to get elected, so in theory you can do other 'good' things? Do we do things that we said we wouldn't do to stay in power? Do we not pursue policy in case we get slapped by the media? Do we accept the support and even promote some questionable people to get their vote and stay in power? Do we do dirty deals so that we can pursue the greater good?

This applies to all political parties and indeed to us in our everyday lives. Are you driven by a moral compass that precludes dishonesty, or is there a grey area where things are weighed up and decisions made depending on the circumstance? Can you lie and create mistrust in the hope that all the other good things you do will make up for it? Can you be entirely honest in a world that seems to operate on scamming and deceit? What would I have done in the same circumstance that our politicians sometimes find themselves in? If I did something that was discovered that would ruin my career, my finances and my family, would I come clean or deny deny deny until the end?

It's a messy business for sure. The end result is that no-one can ever really know for sure who is telling the truth and who can be trusted. You just hope for the best.

18. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Nicely said Annette

My disapointment is the shalow level of debate and political awareness in Oz
    One class of about 35 adults (25-40 YO all with previous good education and careers) I taught at TAFE could not tell me the difference between State and Fedral Governments and resposibilities

19. annette

annette Junior Member

I know what you mean M. Years ago citizenship education was taught (in Qld) and included the roles and responsiblity of the different levels of Government. Been out of teaching for ages so not sure if they still do. It changes too. This is an era of federalism where states roles are gradually being whittled away in favour of the federal government. The boundaries of responsibility are blurring (health, environment etc).

Most people seem to glaze over when you start talking politics. Maybe it is the old saying that you never talk about religion, politics or sex in company still holds true today, don't know. Unfortunatley it gets down mostly to who people 'like' or 'don't like' in regards to the PM (very much like America). If they like Gillard they'll vote labor, if they like Abbott they will vote liberal or if they don't like either they'll draw a lizard on the ballot paper:). In addition it is, "what will i get" is common, not what is necessarily best for the country. Overall though, I don't think most people care too much as they think they're all the same. Maybe they are right!

When you watch american politics and compare it to here, the difference is vast in regards to community involvement. We just don't have the same amount of enthusiasm.

20. Grasshopper

The shifts to the right by the Liberals and Labor sliding in along side them, has certainly not helped to clearly define them.
    There is no intellectual debate on any major social issue.
    We have deliberately not cultivated intellectuals,just sports men and shock jocks.
    The default "intellectuals" in this country on television are former politicians still playing their ideological games.
    Malcom Fraser and John Hewson to a slightly lesser extent seem to be the only exceptions.
    When the whole outcome of every election, in the last few decades has revolved around how a million people in Western Sydney vote,it makes it very difficult to get policies that benefit all Australians for the long term.
    When the people of Western Sydney get their scientific information from Alan Jones and the Daily Telegraph it makes the task almost impossible.
    Middle class welfare and BAU ,pro growth models will be whipped and whipped like a dead horse for a few more elections, before people wake up and smell the dead horse over their coffee in the morning.