Favourites and Disappointments in your current garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sun burn, Dec 4, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

This is a survey (for fun) Its about what has grown well or badly and what gives you the most satisfaction and disappointment

1. What is your climate? and how long have you been at this permaculture lurk?

The Favourites...
    2. What fruit tree or fruit bush is your favourite - details of why if you like
    3. What has been your most successful and favourite vegie that you've grown. - details?\
    4. Best herb...
    5. Most rewarding ornamental

The disappointments...
    6. What fruit tree/bush has been your biggest disappointment - details (list others)
    7. What has been your most disappointing vegie, list any others if you like too
    4. Biggest herb failure...
    5. Most disappointing ornamental

To me it makes sense to note only one favourite but to list more than one disappointment. I mean thats what i think would be most useful to know.

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

They gay guys down the street are having a party adn the song is Billy don't be a hero! lol

Anyway my turn..

1. Climate - tropical; time spent gardening - since May 2010 (but we've had this garden since 1989 and some of the fruit trees are pretty old now.)

The Favourites...
    2. fruit tree - the lemon tree. Its so prolific and its been the only fruit tree that's had any attention though the mangos have been good in past years.
    3. Vegie - I have to reluctantly admit that i think the pumpkins are going to be my biggest success and bring me the most joy this first year. There's a lot on the vine now and i've got three more butternuts sitting on the top of the fridge waiting to be eaten. But I would have liked ot have said something like the New Guinea Bean which i can see has a lot of potential.
    4. Best herb... - the basil has been great. It only needs water to make it grow like a weed. And i love eating it. I think i can eat pesto every day.
    5. Most rewarding ornamental - Of all the plants that are established I have to say the happy plants because they have a beautiful smell when in flower, i've been able to cut the tops off many o them and are growing them all over as a temporary screening measure. (oh yes its probably these i shoudl grow in my forest...) Also i have cut some lengths that are serving for perches in the chook house. I used to have only scorn for happy plants but now i love them.

The disappointments...
    6. What fruit tree - the lychees. we've only ever had one crop and we have three trees. They need fixing up somehow.
    7. What has been your most disappointing vegie, list any others if you like too - Tomatoes seeing so many die and I love them teh most and want to grow them so badly. Ceylon spinach is also a bit of a disappointment. Its growing well enough but i don't think i like it very much. I am very disappointed with the harvest from my New Guinea Bean because it looks like i am only going to get two and I've already decided I like these a lot as an alternative to zucchinis which i can't grow here.
    4. Biggest herb failure...oregano though through no fault of its own, the parsley hasn't been that great yet. Oregano on the other hand doesn't seem to be suited at all to this climate.
    5. Most disappointing ornamental - roses i think because I'd like to have one or two rose bushes but I think its not wise even though i've read there are some varieties that can be grown here. Other than that, i can't think what i've tried to grow that has failed yet.

3. JoH

JoH Junior Member

1. Climate - subtropical / temperate; time spent gardening - since about September 2009

The Favourites...
    2. fruit tree - I don't have many in yet. My favorite would have to be my white mulberry. It looks beautiful and is a prolific bearer of yummy fruit. The great things about it are that it dosnt mind its feet a bit wet (a great quality in my garden) and the birds don't seem to find the fruit until it has almost finished fruiting.
    3. Vegie - sweetcorn. It always grows and tastes so much better from the garden and works brilliantly as a pole for climbing beans as well as being able to provide shade on really hot days for other small plants arount it..
    4. Best herb... - hmmm hard to choose. the mint I planted in the lawn. It is thriving and spreading and smells amazing when I walk over it or mow it. - Thinking about it now, I am going to buy a whole lot more today and let them loose. So far I have spearmint, chocolate mint and normal mint.
    5. Most rewarding ornamental - Can I call sunflowers an ornamental? They have sprung up in my vege garden and just make me smile each time I look at them. Actually, my last mandala circle does not seem to have any coming up. I will some out of the chook feed and into the garden today!
    The disappointments...
    6. What fruit tree - thus far - they havnt been in long enough to have a constant dissapointment. The mangos did not set this year because of the rain. That is dissapointing. (although last year there was an absolute bumper crop)
    7. What has been your most disappointing vegie, list any others if you like too - brasicas (spelling is wrong there) I planted cauli, brocolli, brussel sprouts and cabages and all just vanished! No idea where they went. Slugs? Kangaroos? Rabbits? or.......
    4. Biggest herb failure...corriander - it shoots straight to seed although in saying that - I have got lots of corriander seeds in my cupboard - would just love more leaves!
    5. Most disappointing ornamental - lemon drops (native from a garden centre) - just died in a garden that others seem to be thriving. I suspect that there has been just too much rain.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

1. Subtropical. April 2009.
    2. Tropical nectarine. I got soooo much fruit from it this year. Everything else is not old enough yet. I reserve the right to change favourites each season!
    3. Pumpkins and sweet potato would cross the line in a photo finish. They grow without input, and the kids will eat them.
    4. Last years basil crop. We made about 15 jars of pesto everyone loved eating it.
    5. Californian poppy. I broadcast seed everywhere as one of my first acts in this garden. I smile every time I see a bright orange flower popping up.
    6. The custard apple that I planted on top of a placenta. It died. Shhhh don't tell the woman who gave me her placenta! It's replacement isn't dead yet but it ain't thriving either.
    7. Beetroot and leek tie for frustration. They are supposed to be easy but I get tiny pathetic ones.
    8. Sage. My one last plant died 2 weeks ago. (I chose to break with the suggestion and I'm calling this 8 not 4!)
    9. A fancy schmanzy lomandra that I paid $10 for a single pot that was supposed to grow like nobody's business next to my pond. It died.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Oh jeez when i am going to learn to count! Sorry.

Yes changing favourites and disappointments each season is allowed.
    I will put a basil question in a new thread.
    I really envy you your poppies. I love fields of flowers and poppies are really lovely.
    Placenta! eugh! well no one can call you closed minded I guess.
    Beetroot, mine was a total flop as was spinach and quite a few other things in my very first vegie patch. But i don't count those as my disappointments because nothing much was expected to happen anyway.

Joh, how are you growing your coriander. I have done "ok" with mine. I grow it in the shade. I think heat makes some of these things go to seed straight away. I do expect mine will fall over when the rain comes down regularly though. There's a lot to be said for trying delicate things in the shade. I only wish I'd also planted rocket in this garden as i think i might have got some joy out of them before the wet sets in but anyway next year i will try it in the shade too at this end of the year. My original plants have gone to seed.

Sunflowers - yes i've got some (4-5) and they are giving me a lot of joy. I'm definitley having more of those in next year. Which reminds me i must make some notes about future intentions otherwise i will forget.
    I like the idea of mint in the grass. Our enormous mint just died and now it seems to be coming back to life.

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Before I have a go, I might just say Eco, that problems with small beetroot are often a boron deficiency. I don't know how to add this in a permie way with a plant or something but someone probably does. Someone? Otherwise you could go to a nursery and get some kind of trace elements thingy.

7. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Just a quick question grahame(sorry to hijack-wont be long),but why is it sucha no-no to use bought mineral supplements?
    Do them do any harm?
    Is it because they are mined or are created in a polluting kind of way?

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    More hijacking - sorry.
    Boron is present in the weed "petty spurge" and petty spurge tea goes great on cabbages and citrus,

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I am not against thread jacking. Its the way of forums and i think it makes life more interesting. So how come you guys don't want to add your own favourites and disappointements? :-(

Petty Spurge - great name. Sure sounds like a weed, unlovable. But hey, if it makes eco's beetroot grow big, well it aint a mere weed any more is it. Or unloveable.

10. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

You do use borax in your daily life, don't you? It has many uses, and one of them is that it is a readily available form of boron.

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! Do not use too much! Half a teaspoon in a watering can is more than enough, and just give a splash to each plant that is fruiting. If you overdo it, you will get splitting of fruit, and splitting of bark on woody shrubs and trees. The only recovery that may work, is to apply lots of silica to try to strengthen the cell walls in the plant.

11. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    1. The Hunter Valley is warm temperate - we do get a few frosts and reasonable rain fall.

The Favourites...
    2. My favourite fruit tree/bush/climber must be the rasberries as they are picking now and so are front of mind, they are very good for you too.
    3. Kohl Rabi and Garlic grow well here as do beans usually. Sugarloaf conical cabbage too and leeks.
    4. Best herb... marjoram or oregano do great but sweet basil is master ATM
    5. Most rewarding ornamental I guess the salvias grow like weeds here and are attractive so I pick them. Cosmos and feverfew are great but nor t really "ornamental"

The disappointments...
    6. What fruit tree/bush has been your biggest disappointment -Finding or creating the right microclimate is the challenge but bananas and mango will grow here if I get it right. I have had difficulty getting passionfruit away too.
    7. Most dissapointing vegie would be onions and on occasion pumpkin.
    4. Biggest herb failure...sage does not enjoy wet/dry weather
    5. Most disappointing ornamental not sure

12. bazman

bazman Junior Member

1. What is your climate? and how long have you been at this permaculture lurk?
    Subtropics 900-1200mm, dry winter, wet summer - 7-8years

The Favourites...
    2. What fruit tree or fruit bush is your favourite - details of why if you like
    Black Mulberry, beautiful fruit and grows like a weed.
    3. What has been your most successful and favourite vegie that you've grown. - details?\
    Daikon radish, grows like a weed here, tasty in stir-fries
    4. Best herb...
    Ehhhhh.... Oh sorry yeah edible herb... wide leaf parsley, it grows like a weed.
    5. Most rewarding ornamental
    Eucalyptus Grandis (Flooded gum), it grows like a weed.

The disappointments...
    6. What fruit tree/bush has been your biggest disappointment - details (list others)
    Avocado, 7 trees dead so far, I think it's when the tap root hits the clay layer under my topsoil
    7. What has been your most disappointing vegie, list any others if you like too
    Potatoes, No joy growing them so far.
    4. Biggest herb failure...
    Thyme, I think I have just put in it in the wrong place so far.
    5. Most disappointing ornamental
    Eucalyptus Seeana, doesn't grow like a weed.

13. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Sub Tropics
    Part time since 2001 fulltime since 2009
    Most of my fruit trees are 10 years old have been mulched and automatically waterd from my tanks while I was living elswhere.
    Best Fruit Tree
    Tropical Peach its full of fruit and they taste fantastic(white peach) Second year it fruited twice in one year.
    Tahitian Lime has been a heavy cropper I ve made Tequilla soaked Lime Gelati and froze cubes as well as had lots of Vietnamese dipping sauce,quacamole and green pawpapw salads.It didnt do well last year because of lack of rain and me running out of water.
    Imperial Mandarine gave a massive crop 2 years ago I was eating manadarines of the tree for about 3 months,last year it only had 4 which the White Cockatoos got and ate the seeds out off,this year it looks like I might get 20 or 30 pieces of fruit.
    Paw Paw Thai Red Bissexual has been prolific except the last 2 years so just planted a new one and it got embarassed and has lots of fruit again.I will still cut it back in a few months and see if it recovers.After I have had my fill of a few green paw paw salads
    Lemon and Key Lime have delivered a few sporadic fruit but not any where near the Tahitian lime
    Macadamias has delivered a handfull fo nuts but are reaching the time now when I expect production to increase(this year the flowers where fantastic and they are flowering again now ,dont know if thats bad or normal)
    Disappointed so far
    All my other fruit trees are still abit young and my expectations are still low for a few years,but my Sour Sop, Gurimchana,Jaboticaba and Chocolate Sapote are nearly 10 years old and havent delivered 1 piece of fruit yet.
    I was looking at a photo of my Davidson Plum (it hasnt grown in 3 years) I imagine poor soils,exposed position or maybe some kind of poisoning by the neighbour(his bulldozer driver) when he illegaly removed trees when I wasnt here.(We have been compensated and resumed a civil relationship)
    Vegy success
    Tomatoes after inital problems with nematodes solved by marigolds and molasses
    Capsicums same plants nearly 2 years old still constantly producing
    Chillis ,Parsley,Leeks Carrots,Chinese Brocoli,Spring onions, Chives,Cucmbers all do well
    I have problems with Zuchini, sage, thyme and mint either too much water in the wet season or not enough in the dry.
    My major disappointments have been a bush turkey who removes everything 2 seconds after I plant it and then keeps comming back for more.
    I have put cut wattle branches over everything and this seems to have deterred him ,but I think I will need to go for a cage if I want to be succesful because I think he has a gang of seed eating friends(I have not seen a corn grow and I have planted half a cob many times same goes for virtually anything I sow from seed directly)

14. Terra

Terra Moderator

(1) Climate - Temperate 500mm rainfall
    (2) Favorite fruit tree or bush Strawberries by a landslide all the fruit trees do well just ask the birds .
    (3) Successfull Vegi would be cauliflower our freezer is still half full of blanched cauli. i put seedlings in just before our rain season usually only water two or three times rain does the rest .
    (4) Best Herb Basil
    (5) Most rewarding ornamental Mrs Terra says Proteas

(6) Disapointing fruit tree , Orange finally got some growing but of course they wont ripen nice and sweet too cold im told
    (7) Disapointing veg is corn of course they use too much water for the return
    (8) Herb ?? maybe coriander always running to seed
    (9) Ornamental Mrs Terra says Warratah

15. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

grasshoppers tropical fruit trees

Gee grasshopper that's interesting about your tropical fruits not fruiting. I am not sure where the discovery coast is. Is it mackay? I'd suggest not enough water for those trees during the drier times of the year. We've got 4 soursop and i think this is the first year we've had fruit on them - fruit on one only and then the flying fox got the first one and i put a bag on the others. We had a lot more rain this year through the winter than usual so i think this is the reason we are getting fruit. I've seen a place where the grumichama and jaboticaba are doing well. They get lots of rain. Also one person told me they'd planted their jaboticaba's too close. She recommended that 4m apart would be better.

16. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    On your Avocadoes,when we got ours we were told to plant them half out of the soil and really heavily mulch the plants so the roots are all covered and dont suffer from rot.

17. Grasshopper

Just south of Gladstone, Im on solid rock with very little pathetic excuse for top soil ,I have been adding horse manure, mill mud, worm/my wee,gypsum and cane mulch for 10 years so its starting to turn into something resembling good soil .Last year was the driest winter for 30 or 40 years and the soursop relies on rainfall only.
    Gurimchana started to set fruit last year(first time ever) but then it dropped it all, this year it flowered but didnt set.(maybe no bees )
    The chocolate sapote has flowered every year and never set any fruit ,its currently covered in flowers.
    Ive never seen the sour sop flower and the Jaboticaba have a mind of their own,so not realy loseing patience with them.
    They might be massively stressed from last years drought and this year it realy hasnt stopped raining all year,plus they are tightly packed with heaps of root competition.
    I will keep working on the soil and see what happens I have faith and patience.
    Most of these trees probably need a few years to fruit and under my tortureing conditions if they take a little longer thats OK too.

18. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Surely 10 years is 10 years regardless of the quality of the soil. I think Jaboticaba should be fruiting within 4 years, likewise soursop and grumichama. Why don't you try to track down someone from a tropical fruit organisation. I wonder if its simply not warm enough as well. But if the roots have a lot of competition, is the foliage getting enough sunlight? I wonder what tropical exotics or aroideana would say about it?

19. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    1.Cool/mountain(i think)
    2. my fav fruit is actually banana but we cant grow any, I know cos I have had a plant in the garden fro 15 years which grows 5 foot then winter sets in and it goes to slepp, but of what we do grow last year the grapefruit was fantastic and so were the figs.
    3.my fav veg is pumpkin, kumara,broccolli..... hubbys is brocolli, these did really well but the winner would have to be the butternut which fruited so quickly and stored so well and was soooo delicious.
    4 best herb...hmmm Italian parsley went right thru to this spring, the coriander was really good too both for leaf and seed.
    5.our most rewarding ornamental strangely enough is going to have to be the turnip I let go to seed.
    It flowered for months with lovely white flowers, smothered all weeds and only stopped cos I had to pull it out to move the chooks onto that bed, otherwise it would be the french marigolds that we grew ontop of the rockwall on the roadside which also just kept flowering.

disappointments.
    1.carrots...we got 2 which I let go to seed.or onions which didnt come up at all.I think I was more disappointed by the carrots tho.
    2.desert grape... I lost it and still havent found it.
    3.herb failure-last year Angelica but I managed to get 3 seedlings out of a whole packet this year so things are looking up.
    4.Im not really into ornamentals so I wasnt disappointed by any of them.
    If I had to pick it would be a strappy leafed thing that has strings of red bell flowers.
    I transplanted these a couple of years ago and havent seen a flower since so I will have to move it back to where it was.

20. Grasshopper