1. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Perhaps I need to go down the track of a paid farm worker/family. What would it cost to employ someone and are there many people interested. Could provide caravan accom. or room for their own van and shed. There is rental houses in near by towns...schools, doctors and hospital.
    Any ideas???
    Cathy :(

2. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Cathy,
    You could put an ad or letter in Grassroots...or, look in Grassroots, there are always people looking for life changing opportunities....organic/permie/homeschooling types....some really desperate to get out of the city and/or their current lifestyle.
    I don't think you'll need to go the paid route, just an offer of a great lifestyle and some work in return for sharing of the bounty etc.

3. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Become a WWOOF host?

4. barely run

barely run Junior Member

thanks guys but I need some info on paid workers...has anyone done it...how much...are there workers who know about/are interested in permaculture.

Woofer's is useful but have done that and you need to be with the worker to show how and supervise. None of the woofer's we had stay had any farm/garden/permaculture experience. Was nice to have visitors and most were from overseas so a good time was had by all (mainly). Have also tried the live on site ... no charge ... you help out thingy....wasn't a sucess for us but they got a real good deal out of the 8mths they stayed with us.
    Cheers
    Cathy

5. Cornonthecob

Cathy,

You're going to have to contact your local state government regarding 'paid workers'. You'll have a large number of issues...such as insurrance, super, holidays etc.

Also, federal legisation may come into play.

Strongly reccommend you look at doing a small business course if you haven't already done so. If you have a community college close by or a TAFE you might be able to find one that won't cost too much.

You really do (read must!) look right into it. Lots of laws and rules you have to be well aware of.

I haven't looked at any NSW goernment sites online...but they should have what the other states have. You have lots of reading to do. And accountant finding! Best to find a good one. He will (hopefully) be able to tell you whether or not you're heading in the right direction.

Hope I haven't waffled too much....but as an 'employer' you need to make sure of a lot of things.

:)

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Thank you Corn for taking the time to post such a detailed response. :heart: I am a manager so well aware of work cover etc in government employment covered by awards etc.
    Never had much to do with rural stuff....should I try a garden handyman type at an hourly rate or a farm labourer type and should they be hourly/daily/weekly was the question I am asking myself. Are there any farm labourer permaculturists??
    Cheers :D
    Cathy

7. Cornonthecob

Hmmm surely your location will also dictate what/who you will attract to the job. A qualified WWOOFer? Are there many people looking for that type of work in your area?

8. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Paul Kean -Ringo- Junior Member

Cathy,you answered my post and would like to know more about your proposal.You can e-mail me:ringo[email protected] possible can you e-mail me an aerial photo.
    thanks, Ringo.

9. barely run

barely run Junior Member

:? Was very late home from work tonight 7pm....missed your call and then you missed mine.. :oops:
    Will keep trying
    Cathy