Farm animals need at The Permaculture Research Institute

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Geoff Lawton, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

Hi Folks
    we are are in need of bees, Chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons rabbits, sheep, goats, donkeys, mules and cows at The Permaculture Research Institute.

We are completely restocking the farm.

Please contact by e-mail [email protected] or by phone 02 66886578

Cheers Geoff Lawton

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Sorry but im going to say this..........

We been using your board for 3 years now...some longer some shorter..

Youve never answered any posts since way back ...........

When you do post your only asking for something...............what does that say........

Dont get me wrong....I support your efforts to save our world......

But we need you here In Aussie......We need figure heads,a few leaders.
    apparently you are second to Bill or something Simular.

Well get your asses sat down and chat on your board....

Weve got a great....no Brilliant board going here,were running out of patience with each other .arguments are slowly eating away at the board.

99% got into permaculture via you twos teachings but ...DO we ever see or hear from you.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Permaculture I beleive is just above stagnation in Aussie....

Lets get our own country outa the shit lets get our acts together..

Lets get some Disscusion going ..
    Lets put the shit up big brother government....

Lets be a true blue open voice

Im sick of waiting for a change.......

LETS EFFING DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE

Respectfully yours

Tezza

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Ps I got as many chooks as you can handle and now yabbies,worms as well

but........ u gotta come visit to get em OK

Tezza

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I think they might not travel so well across the Nullabor in the back of Geoff's station wagon eh Tezza?
    I think Geoff did answer a message I posted here about 2 years ago, when I asked about testing soil for dam making.
    I do agree with you though Tez, mate. As Dylan puts it so well in "Its a Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall",

"I'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it,
    But I'll know my song well before I start to sing it"

But Geoff and I have had this conversation before...

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Actually in my haste I meant/woulda been happy with an answer....

He is after all the boss.head honcho here isnt he its his web site..

Heck if the Queen can do a xmas message Im sure Geoff and Bill can too.

Love your rendition of "Bobby Boy" Heck even he gets to Perth more often then Geoff.......

Tezza

6. Geoff Lawton

Hi Tezza and Richard from Geoff in Jordan

Hi Tezza and Richard
    it's great to see you 2 are so enthusiastic to save the world and particularly Australia. I am in Jordan where I have been setting up a new NGO "The Jordanian Society for Organic Farming" which will set up organic standards for Jordan and a new demonstration site linked to "Permaculture Across Borders" which is a new aid organization we are registering in the US. That's where this trip started on the 17th of June then Syria where during the conlict and streams of refugees from Lebanon we were meeting with the government minister for environment to set up permaculture demonstration sites and education centers. Tonight we fly home unfortunately we have to fly through LA (44 hours) because we were called into Syria by surprise so we used the opportunity to complete some work in Jordan as well. We arrive back to The Permaculture Research Institute farm at The Channon in Northern NSW it will be the first time I have stepped foot on the farm for over 3 years which has mainly been because of a big personal legal case (a long story), oh well thats life sometimes, anyway we have the farm back and we can get on with our mission of setting up a world class demonstration site and education center for Australia. We have just 6 days before we have to start teaching in South Australia and we are completely booked out with teach appointments in Australia and overseas until February 2007 when as you will see on the web site courses page we have the first course booked on the farm and 4 booked in 2007. We also have overseas bookings that go right up until the end of October 2007, you see having no permanent address in the last 3 years while the ownership of the farm was up in the air we decided to take any invitation offered to help teach permaculture anywhere, well it built up a bit of momentum and now its going to take a year to slow it down.
    While I am doing all this I get about 50 e-mails a day (plus 100 junk) I answer them all, plus I manage all the blogs that come in on the web site pages and post all the news items.
    We created the forum so people like yourselves could help answer a few questions (like which mulch where?) type thing and more detailed ones so I could keep going and you could feel like you are having a very useful contribution, which you are.
    I am sorry if you think I don't contribute enough on the forum but I often go without much sleep just to do what I do, which is tottally permaculture 24/7 and I love it, I am not complaining, its all fun and mostly real exciting stuff.
    I have posted 72 times since the 23rd November 2002.
    Tezza you have posted 888 times since 14th April 2003
    Richard you have posted 890 times since 21st October 2004
    Well you are both well in front of me on forum posts.
    Tell me apart from asking for help to restock The Permaculture Research Institute farm at The Channon with animals, what sort of stuff would like me to post on the forum for you or anywhere on the site for that matter?
    Salaam Geoff

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Now I feel Bad 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well thanks Geoff for answering My post in responce to your post.....

I forgive you..I forget that your a very busy man compared to my boring excistance :( :( :( :( :( ...

Its just that um sometimes here on the coal face,I/we feel unable to do much but wallow in self pity...We care too hard in our efforts to save the world .The world is screaming out for leaders with vision,leaders with People in mind,not money.. All we do in here some times is argue over the same old crap.

Its affecting our readers.....Its affecting Permacultures reputation.......

Now i guess you may not want to be the "Leader"..But with this board I think we have So much more we Can Do....

Heck To teach or use the "permaculture word" I need certification...Yet anyone on this board can say anything they like.
    I love this site so does Richard hence our post tallies(gee is he still in front)....

Another forum that coincedently was more or less an offshoot from our board "aussies Living Simply" Has a guest chatter thats been happening just latly.....Id like to See Either You Or Bill up for the day on YOUR chatline that Murrey so diligently arranged for us......

Back To your oder for Farm Animal Needed advert on your Posting Board.

Anytime you want anything I got you just call me OK ....
    Im here in the west..Im trying to get back to nsw again in march of 07.

maybe I could fetch you a little Something??

Thanks for answering me.I hope i didnt offend as it wasnt meant to.....

Tezza

PS one other thing abot a year ago you posted about a Permaculture
    multi level Marketing buisness,it created a post record for responces.and veiwings...

For life of me i cant remember the name of it ......Could you tell me if its stil running,Did you join in,If you think its worth reposting would u. would u recommend it to anyone still? I was for the concept.....

Thanks

8. Geoff Lawton

Permafund

Hi Tezza
    it was Permafund you will see they donate to projects on the "Permaculture International" you will see them on their web site.

I was a director of Permaculture International for 2 years (I am a life member) so in that period I put that post up.

I am an action orientated person so I don't get into too much debate, but I will start more of a general contribution to the forum.

Thank you for the hint.

Cheers Geoff

9. Jez

Jez Junior Member

G'day Geoff, I really loved your fantastic "Use of Permaculture Under Salinity and drought Conditions" article.

I must admit, when I first read that article my first reaction was 'wow, that's fantastic'...followed by 'why aren't we (Permaculture exponents as a whole) doing that in Australia?' Many parts of Australia are as hostile or similar to the land you encountered in this and other projects, and traditional Western farming practices have failed badly in these areas if they've even been attempted...yet I'm not aware of Australian Permaculturalists doing anything similar in our own deserts and arid areas, which I must admit I find a bit sad considering the vast (and increasing) areas of Australia which receive low rainfall and struggle with poor soils and salinity issues...and more so given Permaculture is an Australian born system.

So much Permaculture energy is focused on the coastal fringes of our continent, yet if global warming keeps sending us expanding tropical areas and major cyclones spreading further south, rapidly rising sea levels and possibly tsunami's etc, IMO we will struggle in future decades if we can't widely disperse knowledge which allows us to sustainably farm our more arid regions and maintain/grow strong, sustainable communities away from the coastal fringes. I see you are doing some forums with Richard Heinberg (of whose work I'm a big fan), so I'm sure you can appreciate how badly Australia's rural interior will be affected by Peak Oil if local sustainable agriculture can't become the norm in these areas...they will cease to exist if the majority of their food has to be transported in as it currently is.

Your fantastic work in Jordan and other arid areas is IMO exactly the sort of knowledge needed to rehabilitate our own continent's interior...the pursuit of which would provide enormous benefits.

I don't think the sound practices and philosophies behind Permaculture quite make the impact they should in Australia for two main reasons (though there are several more):

a) There are few commercial Permaculture operations competing with traditional agriculture (unlike biodynamic farming)...there is far more focus on the individual (which is good and what is needed IMO, but doesn't speak to all those traditional agricultralists concerned about jobs, yields etc).

b) So many exponents of Permaculture choose to set up their properties and focus their energy along the coastal fringe where (for the time being at least) it's still possible to be successful using traditional Western agricultural practices.

I strongly feel that if you or someone with your knowledge could begin making an impact like you have in Jordan here in Australia's more arid areas, then it would enormously enhance the reputation of Permaculture here in Australia as a system which provides the solutions no other system can. While you're working in the Middle East and elsewhere, there is seemingly no interest here in Australia toward spreading the message of your achievements on a wide scale (T.V., commercial radio, newspapers, magazines etc), yet if you could achieve similar results in the Queensland or NSW outback, I think it would make a huge impact.

The solutions for the problems facing so many Australian inland areas - drought, land degradation, retention of people and services, providing employment, depression and suicide - IMO are all there in your work in arid areas overseas.

So I guess my question to you is how can the knowledge you've used in arid areas overseas be put to widespread use in similar areas of Australia? Would it be possible to set up similar projects here in Australia? I strongly suspect that rural councils and bodies all over Australia would leap at the chance to support projects which offered solutions to the problems they all face which I've mentioned above if they were able to see the miracles you've achieved overseas.

But of course, you can only be in one place at one time and are obviously a very busy man, so I wonder if people could be trained onsite in specific arid locations under you or someone with your knowledge so your achievements in Jordan can begin to make a similar impact in Australia's arid, rural areas? Or perhaps whether this forum could provide a similar function?

I myself am in the process of moving to a small town in an arid, rural area (the southern gulf savannah country in far north Queensland) with the intention of setting up local food and community sustainability. While my PDC, your articles on arid land farming and the short Greening the Desert video have given me a fair idea of how I can achieve this, I can't help but feel there is so much more I could learn if there were more detailed examples of your work which included instructional photographs or video, or onsite examples in Australia which could be used to further demonstrate the methods you have used.

I also can't help but feel that your work should be used right across Australia and that even starting tomorrow is almost too late unless a major effort is made. My fear is that a decade or two from now, our rural interior will no longer be viable under its current template and that our entire population will be crammed into even higher density, gradually shrinking areas along the coastline, in a time of probable economic crisis.

Sorry for the length of my ramble and my sincere thanks to you for setting up this forum, I hope you have time to offer some thoughts on the above.

10. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Sorry Geoff, I forgot it was David doing the talks with Richard Heinberg and not you...but I'm sure you know what I meant. :)

11. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Actually Geoff, I've given up on Australia, because it is full of Australians who want to be Americans. Here I am in Hawaii trying to save it from the Americans!
    Just jokes.
    No, it would be great to hear from you in here more often, but you can only do so much, obviously.
    So, where is the PRI farm these days, Geoff? Sounds like you have a bit of land with the list of animals you are after. Good luck with the restocking.