Fact check: do bushfires emit more carbon than burning coal?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by matto, Jan 10, 2013.

1. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

And if you don't want to download the pdf, Len, here is a website:

https://beyondzeroemissions.org/zero-carbon-australia-2020

I went to a talk on this. I subscribe and donate.

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Len

On average, refrigeration only accounts for 7% of all energy consumed in Australian households:

[​IMG]

Source: SA Government (2011) How energy is used in the home

Cheerio, Markos

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

ok mark,

you said: "The science suggests otherwise, especially when used in conjunction with tidal/wave energy, geothermal, biofuels, etc.

Furthermore, on the issue of 'affordability', it has been scientifically proven that Australia could have in ten-years time an energy system that is 100% renewable, providing full baseload requirements, and all for $8 per household per week."

that the dream what you said is not a common promotion in the media, tidal/wave, geothermal and biofuels are all non starters right now they simply are not anywhere near to replacing coal for efficient affordable for all power, in 10 years it is said i bet that isn't a set in cement prediction, bet it could slide out to 20+. doubt it will come earlier so what do we do in the interim? they've had long enough to show these new things and incorporate them, so anyway what happens to those who cannot afford power over the next ten years?? don't they count? for us we sue gas for cooking and heating and pedestal fans for cooling. so they don't equate to 63% of our power usage, need to take care when those with the intelligence promote a graph of use, do you know if that is factual? do you know people actually doing those figures.

vision 2020 7 years into future how do we get dragged to the utopia of good climate with no new trees?

lets have some actual fact please lets look at the mass of humanity here in aus' that now have issues paying for inflated power.

none of the above answers peak demand that occurs at particular times of the day, how is power now stored when it peak produces to use it in peak demand??

anyhow give me the forests back any day at least we won't have these hot days, even if we can't afford power.

len

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Give me trees and affordable renewable power.

5. gardenlen

ok grasshopper you and me, the trouble is there is no plan to give us trees, and a sketchy idea on providing renewable power. gotta watch how the bull is grabbed hey chuckle?

looked on that one pdf scary hey a huge field of mirrors where once forests stood. and as for science saying we will only need pay $8 a week for power again all theory, with the only renewables out there being promoted are wind and solar.

len

6. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

My head is about to explode.

7. Grasshopper

Not too many forest in the desert

8. gardenlen

that pic was depicted in the middle of degraded broadacre farm land, desert? what next and how would they go transmitting power from centralisation to all over the state??

the desert has its own habitat not there for man to rape further.

like food farms that power should be produced as close to the user as possible

len

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Coal mining, CSG are fairly 'rape-y', are they not?

More so than putting a structure on top of degraded land.

10. gardenlen

dunno waht you mean SOP?

of course coal mining etc.,. are rapey things! does it sound like i support them, but what i say lets get an affordable alternative going before cutting our noses off to spite our faces. and once we stop coal powered power then coal mining stops as well, makes sense hey? gov up here won't here of that as china and japan want oodles of our coal. silly when you think about it hey imagine if we worked together as a like minded community in charge of science instead of science being in charge, we will likely get resolutions with win win all round.

depends a structure on degraded land maybe yes! to save land elsewhere being degraded to build the structure there, but if structure not needed then plant habitat

the proof needs to be in the pudding.

len

11. Grasshopper

$8 a week for 100% renewable energy sounds affordable.
    Also sounds like the best way that we worked together as a like minded community in charge of science.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks for this Markos - it made for interesting reading.

Seems like we need to engage with young men in our rural communities to give them something better to do on a Sunday than light bush fires...