Experiment with rooting.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Pakanohida, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Recently I had to do some cloning for our property. Clones had an 85% success rate and were put into 2 types of pots. First pot was your typical 4" cube plastic pot, and the other half of the pots were your typical peat pot.

Well it has been roughly 1 month since they have been under a light to get acclimated to being in soil and there is an amazing difference in size!

Soil was the same, light the same, same amount of water, etc. However the plants in the peat pots have grown upwards of 200% more then the ones in the typical nursery plastic pots! I am astounded at the results of this little experiment.

It currently makes me wonder how more effective, or less effective the handmade newspaper pots, soil pots, and other types work out. Perhaps in the future.

2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I have done a similar experiment in the past which caused me to ditch plastic seed starting flats.
    I have used site made pressed peat flats when at the last nursery I worked at.

We are currently using cardboard rolls, cut to length and I am building my own mold for making pressed peat flats for in the future when I get the greenhouse built.

What I found was; plastic contributes nothing to plant growth, needs a medium that requires much more watering and nutrients added once the sprouts are up and going. The peat and cardboard rolls tend to hold moisture which then is made available for the rooting seedling, contains just enough nutrient density for a freshly sprouted seed thus not requiring constant monitoring of nutrient levels once the seedling is up and going, They are also easier to transplant into a soil bed, with very little if any root disturbance which results in stronger plants later in the growing season.