experiences with WOOfing

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by hedwig, Mar 10, 2008.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

Hi, I would like to hear experiences from Woofers. We're a family and are thinking about WWOOfing in holidays in Southern QLD or Northern NSW.

What were your experiences while WWOOfing? Did you learn anything or was it only doing odd jobs? How long did you work each day in reality? How were your experience with the host family? How can we find out if a host is OK?
    Did you feel more like a cheap farmhand or like partners or guests? And finally is it difficult finding a host for a family?

We're interested in a mixes farm with animals, orchards, vegetables, maybe market stall and more.

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day hedwig and Family :)

What were your experiences while WWOOfing?

My experiences while WWOOFing amount to some of the greatest times of my life.

Did you learn anything or was it only doing odd jobs?

It's all about learning (and teaching). You get out of WWOOFing whatever you are prepared to put into it.

How long did you work each day in reality?

Depends: Some days I (willingly) worked up to 12-hours, and other days I did nothing at all (other than relax). It's all about mutual agreement. But as a general rule, each WWOOFer should engage in about 4-5 hours 'work' per day, and thus entitle themselves to three decent meals and a comfortable place to sleep.

How were your experience with the host family?

Awesome (mostly)! Each situation will be different. In situations where I found I was not 100% compatible with my host/s, I decided to use it as a 'learning' experience.

How can we find out if a host is OK?

Observe. Ask around. Check out the website (see: link below). Experience, and if you are not compatible - move on.

Did you feel more like a cheap farmhand or like partners or guests?

Never 'cheap', sometimes like a 'guest', often like 'family'. All depends on the 'terms of engagement' that you and your intending host should agree upon before you begin your stay.

And finally is it difficult finding a host for a family?

Nup. Visit the website and get yourself a 'book'. Then start making contact with over 1300 hosts right here in Australia.

Happy WWOOFing!

Mark.

WWOOF Australia: https://www.wwoof.com.au/

3. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

Re: experiences with WOOfing

I'll be more brief than Mark, but I only had great experiences with WWOOFING. Like he said the book is invaluable. You can get a feel for the hosts from the language they use in the descriptions and by speaking on the phone. I was single when I started Wwoofing and ended up married to an American girl I met in Northern NSW. I loved it.