experience with alpine strawberries/ ground cherries?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by katrina, Nov 20, 2007.

1. katrina

katrina Junior Member

hi!
    i have some alpine strawberries and ground cherries i would like to plant out. i've grown them from diggers seeds and am curious- how tall do the strawberries grow, how deep is their root system and how close do you plant them together?. how wide do they get?i haven't seen them in a garden and am not sure what to do. i'm stoked that they germinated so successfully on my first attempt. do they need straw around them? lots of nutrients? should i plant them near my garden variety strawberries?
    with the ground cherries, i read on the pack that they grow 60cm high and wide, i'm wondering about the conditions they need and basically asking for any advice, as , again, i have never seen them in real life, and neither has anyone i've asked. what do they taste like? when do they bear fruit?
    I hope someone here has some experience and can hepl me muddle alongon my exciting adventure, i hope it works, thanks,
    kat

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day kat,

ground cherries are cape gooseberries aren't they?

ground cherries is a US of A common name if so. they are native to our bushlands could be an introduced one not sure? you don't say where you are? but in the sub-tropics they grow easily small shrubby type plant, seem to grow in a variety of soil types, we got good results in sandy loam heavily mulched with no amendments.

len

3. cathy

cathy Junior Member

Hi katrina,

For the strawberries, I haven't grown them but I looked in the book published by diggers and it says to plant them 12 to 20 cm apart and mulch them immediately. "They dislike high soil temperatures so 10cm of straw should be enough to keep the soil cool". Of course that may depend a fair bit on your location. There also appears to be two types - one that produces runners and hence can be invasive and another that is runnerless.

For the ground cherry, as with Len I have also heard that this is another name for Cape Gooseberry. However in the diggers book they talk about them being "like the larger Cape Gooseberry and even bigger Tomatillo". Anyway we are on the North Coast of NSW and our neighbours have them in their garden. They never planted them and they grow like a weed - hardy and self propagating by seed. They seem to grow best if they are partially shaded/protected by a larger bush. The fruit forms inside a husk, which drops to the ground when the fruit is ripe. Open the husk and you will find what looks like a yellow cherry tomato. The flavour is quite strong, and is both sweet and tart/citrusy - I like them!. They are very seedy but the seeds are very small. I made some into jam and it was very nice - probably tastes more like a marmalade than a jam due to the citrusy tartness.

4. katrina

katrina Junior Member

thanks for the tips about both plants. i certainly like the idea of the ground cherries growing like weeds.
    i have grown the strawberries in a very hot dodgy brothers glasshouse, worried that they wouldn't germinate at the beginning of october, and they really look healthy, like bosai strawberry plants, really. i was worried they wouldn't like the move out of the warmth.. maybe they will; as for runners..that'll be interesting. we are in coastal victoria.
    regards from kat
    who is so excited, because it has been raining

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yo should enjoy their unique taste, call them gooseberries that is what they have always been called.

len