excess rain water?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by debonatrek, Dec 20, 2011.

1. debonatrek

debonatrek Junior Member

hello
    I have spent sometime looking for the answer on the forum but can't find the answer.
    I am about to install a 10,000L underground water tank and was wondering when it fills up and overflows should I put it back into the stormwater system? feed it into a gravel pit or let it just flow out? I have sandy soil. you would think that the council would have some requirements but they dont.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
    deb

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Hmmmmm, can't find the answer? This recent thread I am quoting because well, Markos is dead on & I have the same questions and suggestions.

This was from a very similar named post.

I need way more information in order to help best I can, and I am sure many others here do too.

For me, despite being in a cool humid rainforest I have no such thing as excess water. I want to capture it, keep it, reuse it anyway I can. It's the most precious resource on the property no matter where you are.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day deb,

only observations are putting a tank underground is probably not cheap, so maybe consider nothing less that 25k/l or thereabouts. you don't say what sort of construction for the tank poly, cement ?

as for overflow most councils don't get involved so long as the water does not flow to or over neighbours properties, at a pinch if a neighbour dobbed they may make you reconnect to the storm water system.

len

4. debonatrek

debonatrek Junior Member

thanks len that pretty much answers my question, just don't let it on the neightbours property ( though i am secretly hoping that they will install a tank, as i'm in a duplex and they have a bigger yard)
    my property is in the suburbs on 400m2, its lucky? I guess that i have to excavate a retaining wall as the previous owner built it and did not waterproof it. while the fence is down between my neighbours and my house and there is an excavator there I thought i would make the whole that much bigger to fit a tank in. I would love to fit a 25k/l tank in but i am not sure that it would fit, the tank man is coming to investigate for me. the tank is cement as that is the cheapest option for a 10000L.

your right Pakanohida there is no such thing as excess water, so maybe i should have said water I can not retain:) especially as we have very dry summers. and your above thread is about a hobby farm and wasn't sure if the answer for water you can't retain would suit a small suburban block. i'll try and be more clear in my questions next time