Evacuated tube colectors solar hot water

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by lotte, Jul 7, 2008.

1. lotte

lotte Junior Member

Hi every body :D
    We live in a cooler climate. Melbourne hills. I would like to by solar hotwater panels.
    The firms who sell Evacuated tube colecters advertise that there the best for cooler climates.
    Is there someone who has them on his roof? Or knows if there are as good as there say there are.
    Any feedback would be nice.

:D lotte

2. susann

susann Junior Member

Re: Evacuated tube colectors solar hot water

Hi - I did a bit of research on these a few months ago. Will probably go for solar panels AND solar hot water when funds come available.

It seems they do perform better than "flat plate" solar hot water in cooler areas as they "catch more sun" but they apparently work well in high sun areas too - you just dont need as many tubes. Also, they are frost tolerant which is another reason they are more appropriate in cold areas (or areas like Lismore that have frosts and hot summers) if you dont want to use gycol in flat panels. Also, there are lots of suppliers of this product - so shop around. It seems Apricus has a good reputation?

Here is a link for someone actually installing them (not a supplier).
    https://www.salahomes.com.au/solar-hot-water.html

3. lotte

lotte Junior Member

Re: Evacuated tube colectors solar hot water

Thanks susann
    I looked at a composting toilett the other day and the guy in this shop recomendet the Apricus to us also it has a stainless steel tank. We had in our house in perth a flat solar panel/stainles steel tank.The unit was put up in 1975 and 20 years later it was still working without ever needing to replace the tank or maintenace on anything.
    we were VERY HAPPY with it.
    :D lotte