Established Permaculture Farm in US?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by recycledsoul, Jan 13, 2011.

1. recycledsoul

recycledsoul Junior Member

Hello
    I am interested to learn more about permaculture/ sustainable living. I could take a PDC, or volunteer. I am interested to learn and experience more this year at an established permaculture farm. Does anyone know some good ones in the US? Some things I am looking for would rainwater harvesting, composting toilets, food forests, natural buildings, etc...
    Thanks

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Bump

This seems to have gotten past inspection and perhaps some of the USA participants could best answer.

By the way recycledsoul, welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  4. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

One day when I have time, this is on my must,go list almost right at the top!I have heard from close friends just amazing stories about these guys.
    https://www.permacultureportal.com/
    Best Wishes fernando

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Correct me if i am wrong but rainwater harvesting is merely a trendy new term that means you collect rainwater off your roof by diverting it via gutters attached to the edge of your roof line and which carries it to one or more water tanks. To me its such a pity that every house in every town or city does not do this. (except perhaps where there is acid rain). Hopefully the future will see more water tanks in people's backyards. The alternative way to build rainwater tanks seems to be only by ferrocement. Other options are galvanised iron and plastic. Plastic is cheaper and better than iron and ferrocement i think is cheaper than plastic if you build it yourself. Some environments would be conducive to collecting rainwater in underground aquifers. Desert locations mainly. If you want to learn about building with ferrocement, check up on the ferrocement.net website forum. This will link you to other useful resources.

6. Fernando Pessoa

Just a side note from what I understand the PRI Canada is not a going concern due to lack of interest and the fact that they do not have any land,or an experienced qualified teacher.
    Not sure about PRI USA but possibly the same.

If you want truly benchmark experience in your area of the world, I will suggest you go to this site.
    They are light years ahead of anyone else I have seen or heard of.
    Best Wishes Fernando
    https://www.permacultura.org/leaders.html
    especially IPEC

7. Fernando Pessoa

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I see. I hadn't thought of it like that. I don't think swales are original to permaculture. My father mentioned doing something with our swale the other day and he's not a permie. He was once a farmer though. It could be that permaculture uses swales to hold on to water while my father uses swales to get rid of it.

9. matto

matto Junior Member

https://www.wholesystemsdesign.com/permaculture-design-course/ in Vermont.
    I've only heard Ben Falk talk on the agroinnovations podcast, but he seems really switched on to energy decent solutions. The research they are doing looks good too.

Brad Lancaster works with Sonaran Permaculture, so I would suspect that their courses are great for Dryland, urbanised property development.
    https://www.sonoranpermaculture.org/courses-and-workshops/

https://www.quailsprings.org/programs
    These guys got wiped out by a massive rain event. Before this they were possibly one of the most comrehensive sites in america. Would be a great time to help out, they have internships going so it will be very hands on to rebuild systems.

10. cdoug_e

cdoug_e Junior Member

WEll there is a lot out there, Ethan Roland Appleseed Permaculture in NY.
    Quail springs -CA
    Emerald Earth- CA (natural building)
    Bollock Brothers- WA
    Wild Thyme Farm- WA
    Seven Seeds Farm- OR
    MArk Shepards place in WI
    Scott Pittman place NM
    Rocky Mountain Perm Institute- CO
    Portland has a very nice urban scene, as well as NYC, Detroit, San Fran, and a growing one here in Cincinnati
    There is a lot more, check out growfood.org as a great resource for farms to intern at as well as ATTRA internships

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me, there is a huge amount going on its just tapping into what ecosystem and location you want to. Although an American, I do most of my work overseas but know lots of stuff that is going on.