Environmentalism is increasingly a campaign to encourage peo

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

https://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 47,00.html

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Re: Environmentalism is increasingly a campaign to encourage peo

I tend to agree with the sentiments expressed. We need to look to a culture of sufficiency and just do it without all the flag waving. Transition Towns is at risk of going that way with energy decent and global warming being catch cries used in local discussions. I agree we need to use these arguments when having a conversation with politicians but among ourselves - the reason for doing the things we do should be because it is the right or sensible thing. I mean that what is the sense of burning coal in fifty years that took fifty thousand years to form?
    purplepear
    intent-observation-intuition

3. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Re: Environmentalism is increasingly a campaign to encourage peo

That article's echoing a major backlash against the environmental movement that I've seen developing the past year or so.

Problem is, in an increasingly crowded world, one's actions are more likely to affect someone else. So we all get in each other's business, because what used to be "personal choice" is now starting to affect everyone.

Environmentalists especially do this. And its appropriate given the issues we all face.

But its understandably offensive to the people contributing the most to the problems, so they lash back.

The author of the article says/implies that environmentalists are all busybodies who would find something else to stick their nose into if environmental problems went away. This unfair characterisation of a really important movement is exactly the backlash I see happening - and it doesn't look good for the Earth. With her biggest allies maligned and sidelined, I worry her demise will hasten. :(