Envirocycle system - questions!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by darls, Jan 11, 2008.

1. darls

darls Junior Member

Hello,

At my new property in Central Coast, we've got an Envirocycle system (I havent found out what type it is but its casted in concrete if it helps) on for both sewerage and grey water. And we were told that the east side of land, the part of land that is much higher than the rest of 'my' property is reserved by Council as an outlet (to 3 taps, with the highest being the 'permanent' outlet) for the effluent of the envirocycle. Apparently it needed to be maintained every 3 months at the cost of $300pa...

So questions are:

1. Is it sufficent as it is now for time being till we have enough money to convert it to something else more 'sustainable'?
    2. Would the designed area, as Council placed it out, be alright or should we be more wary about where the effluent water flows over the land?
    3. I dont use much chemicals in the house as I have reactions to many chemicals so I think there would not be much chemicals washing into the system. So does the amount of chemicals washed into the system make any difference?
    4. What type of sewerage system would be much more sustainable than the envirocycle?
    5. How can I use the effluent water into the food plants?
    6. Is there anything else we should be aware of with the envirocycle?
    7. What else you would like to say? lol!

Looking forward to learn more about this system!

Cheers!

2. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I have just googled them:

It looks like your system works pretty much like a septic tank (settling solids and natural bacterial processes)

The final sterilisation is done by either chlorine or UV. I would say that the system you have is fairly good..

I've included the following from the website:
    "What Is an Envirocycle?
    Envirocycle is a unique system developed specifically to recycle domestic and commercial wastewater from the bathroom, kitchen and laundry and treat it in an underground tank constructed of concrete to a purity approved by relevant health authorities throughout Australia.

Natural Process
    The Envirocycle method for treating sewage and sullage from domestic and commercial developments is based on the age old principal of separating solids from liquids allowing anaerobic bacteria (which does not require oxygen) and aerobic bacteria (which requires oxygen) to digest the waste.

This natural process of treatment has been further enhanced by utilizing an Ultra Violet Disinfection process in either domestic or commercial applications. This process is available in the Model 10NR. All other wastewater treatment systems utilize chlorine."

3. darls

darls Junior Member

Hey PPP, thanks for your reply.

That what I've come up with too... just wondered if there would be anything more 'sustainable' than this system, or should I just shut up and let all be? lol

I was telling my hubby that we still should put in grey water system in and leave the envirocycle for sewerage only. Would this work better or just waste of money and space?

Thanks again!

4. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Re: Envirocycle system - questions!

we have just made an offer on a place with a "biocycle"anyone have any experience with this product?

5. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

Re: Envirocycle system - questions!

The claim that 'all other systems use chlorine' is completeley incorrect and misleading. There are several units on the market that use natural processes and no chemicals at all. Some do not need a secondary process, like UV and one that I know of only requires 1 annual service (not 4).

If the system is working, why change it at all? The question is: Is the water going where you want it to and can you utilise the moisture zone productivley?