Employment

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Elle, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Elle

Elle Junior Member

HI all,

A week ago I was let go from my job with the reason that I wasn't suited to that role. The role was an admin assistant and Ive come to realise that the reason I wasn't right for it was because I was only doing it because of the air-con and money :p This doesn't constitute a stimulating career for me and since realising this I have been seriously considering a new avenue. I have worked in admin for the 5 years of my working life and well its boring. I need something a little more stimulating and I believe that working in the horticulture industry is where I should be. I spend so much time researching and collating information and planning for the garden when I get home that I don't do any housework :). So I am a bucket full of information for my age.The issue that I am seeing however, is that I dont have any qualifications outside of attending permiculture workshops and all the reseach I have done on my own. the only position I have held in the horticulture industry is at a turf farm where I learnt alot about soil and turf.
    I dont really want to work part time and study as I would like to work full time and continue saving for the things my partner and I had planned next year. However, im a little unsure of my options if I choose to work in a nursey with the experience I have.

Do you think I might have enough experience to be hired? Or do I need to study to go anywhere? If so what would I need to study?

Thanks

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Dear Elle
    The experience that I would be looking for is that you have worked without airconditioning and that you knew how to do as you were told and be keen to learn. I think the stuff you need to learn to be employed in horticulture can be best learned wwoofing. And remember to ask plenty of question of your host but not to the point where no work gets done. Utilize the breaks in work to fill in gaps in your knowledge of the work you are engaged in.
    Probably not what you were looking for but it is the best I've got
    regards Mark

3. Elle

Elle Junior Member

thanks Mark it does give me a little in site

But I havnt really had much experience outside of the aircon. I am willing to work hard though. Will that help?

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Elle, Just a couple of thoughts

I've done a bit of work in retail nurseries before. In my opinion someone with an interest in it and who already knew a bit about gardening would be a step up from some of the people already working in the industry.

I enjoyed it on and off, because it wasn't the public service, but eventually you get over offering company to the aged ;) and I was lucky that I had a boss I got on well with and who let me do my thing. Also, my favourite thing, was she used to let me take heaps of stuff, like broken bags of stuff, old plants, chipped pots etc etc.

The thing is, I worked with people who had qualifications and people who didn't. Some 'qualified' people know nothing, some know heaps. And the same for the 'unqualified'.

I have a degree in Horticulture, and the scientific part of it has proved very useful, but as for actually knowing anything about horticulture when I first finished university, well that is debatable. A diploma may not be so useful in that respect. But for some reason employers like to rely on a piece of paper that really means nothing.

If you really want the job you will get it, you just have to keep asking, keep learning etc.

5. Elle

Elle Junior Member

thank you that helps. I hope I find something :)

6. geoff

geoff Junior Member

Apprenticeships are also a possibility. You work full time and do one day a week at tafe.