eliminate carbon trading schemes

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by janahn, Feb 27, 2009.

1. janahn

janahn Junior Member

Would it not be so much simpler, (if carbon pollution reduction were the objective) to increase gst from 10 to 11% (or more if required) then allocate the increased revenue to the support of carbon pollution elimination projects, mostly not by direct funding, but by offering income tax concessions to profitable schemes that are up and running. Successful projects would ultimately prosper and the cost would be borne by all consumers.

Note: it also eliminates carbon tax bureaucracy. if every man woman and child in australia spends $15,000.00 pa then each would contribute an extra $150.. per annum.

Story from FutureDesigners Micro Journal Published by Permaculture Design Institute

2. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Re: eliminate carbon trading schemes

An extra $1500 P/A? - i think we shold just get rid of the coal subsidy, this would give other forms of electricity generation a level playing field and provide 100s of millions for carbon fixing projects (and discorage further coal stations).

3. ppp

ppp Junior Member

money to people doing the right thing, doesn't mean the people doing bad things will change. And, I am afraid that the people doing bad things do them on a scale 10's 100's or 1000's of times the scale of people doing good. Sounds like a good technique for govt to look green and do little.

4. janahn

janahn Junior Member

hello pppp,

i share your concern, however the simplistic proposal i put forward above give the incentive to private individual and corporations. the gov. simply chooses who gets the tax breaks. it would be possible to raise all taxes and lower them for businesses that have the "runs on the board" when it comes to supplying clean non toxic energy, or say, farmers who are protecting biodiversity, storing bulk humus, supplying consumers in the most energy efficient manner....and so on. build a wind farm and pay no tax until the investors get their money back...such actions are supported by income tax concessions..all consumers use energy....all consumers should contribute....and may choose to support certain types of businesses over toxic energy intensive businesses.

Janahn