Electric Poultry fencing for equatorial tropics

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by frederika paembonan, Jan 28, 2016.

1. frederika paembonan

frederika paembonan New Member

Climate:
    equatorial tropics
    Hello there,
    We need some advice please on using a poultry electric fence in the equatorial tropics. We were about to buy an electric poultry fence and energizer from an australian supplier to use at our permaculture site in Kalimantan /Borneo, inspired by other mobile poultry systems demonstrated by Geoff Lawton and others.

However after speaking with the fence supplier they told me that the fence which conducts an electric pulse is designed to:

- protect against mammals, like foxes, dogs, etc and not reptiles like python snakes or goannas, etc. (Have others used this fencing in humid/equatorial tropics and did you have any protection from large lizards/snakes, etc?)

- And also he said that if long grass or something comes in contact with the fence that it can drain the electric battery and you have to always make sure the grass is cut low and not touching the fence/mesh. Do other people have this issue? we always thought you could move it and put in a wild paddock and that grass wouldn't be an issue...

- Can anyone recommend a good fence supplier in Australia? Do you know who Geoff Lawton uses?

Many thanks in advance...

2. Flatland

Flatland Member

Haven't heard of using electric fencing for poultry but I would think any animal will be kept in/out by electric. I have used electric fencing for sheep and horses for many years. Grass touching the hot wire will definitely earth the wire and not only drain the battery but the charge goes to earth instead of down the wire so the fence no longer keeps animals in/out. So grass under the fence line must be kept short and long grass to the sides of the fence have to be trimmed too so that a wind can not blow it in a way that would make it lean onto the fence. Wet grass is even better at earthing the hot wire.

If you are going to use electric fencing I would strongly suggest you buy a voltage tester. There are many varieties that test the current going down the wire. You need to get one that gives you a digital readout not just one that has little lights to show the current. The ones with little lights are cheaper but only tell you you have a current and it can be so low that the wire as about as much kick as a slap with a limp lettuce leaf. Voltage testers can also be used to find where there is a break/earthing of the hot wire. Very useful if you have a long fence.

The other thing with electric fencing when you buy the energizer unit it will tell you what type of battery you should use. Don't be tempted to buy something else because it is cheaper. A friend of mine bought the same sort of unit that I have which says you must use alkaline batteries he said they were too expensive to buy so he kept buying cheapo batteries. My expensive alkaline batteries would last about 6 months, his cheapo batteries would last about 3 days and then his horse would get out. He would have to get his horse back and buy more batteries and yes he never learned kept buying cheap batteries, horse kept getting out.

One more thing electric fence energizers come in many strengths you need it get one that is strong enough to do the job first time. If you buy a small unit with not much kick animals will learn to ignore it and when you get a stronger unit they have learnt they can get through and still will.

I am a big fan of electric fencing. It is portable and variable so you can move it where you need it and exclude something (tree, plant, grass) that you don't want your animals getting at. Good luck.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)