Eeep a snake!!

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by sun burn, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

As i type its circumnavigating the chicken house. I really hope it can't climb the shadecloth or it could be a long night ending in something nasty.

Its 2.5metres, a python and it looks hungry.

When i first saw it at 7.30 i just arrived to lock all the birds in for the night. I've not been on the ball about this but from now on, I will have to be. As i was saying when i first saw it, it was already inside the chicken house and was just about to pounce on a duck. I raised the alarm but the ducks hadn't spotted the snake at that point so barely moved. But shortly after there was a mad rush for the door when four ducks raced out with a snake hot on their heels. It might have had its mouth around the ankle of one of them but with my quick rake action, it let go and everyone got away unharmed.

Well as you might imagine, the ducks were not in a hurry to go back inside but i eventually prevailed upon them to get in. I hope they don't have nightmares tonight.

I am going to try not to kill the snake but i know if it has no success tonight, it will be back every night for the next few. And it might even strike during the day when everyone is outside free ranging. But i am not about to start locking them in 24 hours as my neighbour does. I might have to try the snake relocation trick. But people don't seem to have much faith that it works. The all seem convinced that its the same snake that makes it back. I guess they all look pretty much alike.

Now its time to go and see what the snake is going to try next.

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

8.50pm. I haven't had any success enlisting dad's help. He's just about to eat dinner and so far shown no interest in catching the snake.

I've decided the thing to do is to catch it and whether or not it really works, it seems the most sensible thing to do is relocate it far away. But how to catch it when you are scared shitless of laying hands on it. ... I've set up a trap in which I have not much confidence yet. Its a chicken food bag and inside i've put a piece of tuna. .. Oh where are all the rats when you need them. And speaking rats, why can't the wretched snake be satisfied with eating rats and mice instead of ducks and chickens. Sigh.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

9.30pm. Well so much for the poor snake. Its dead. I guess I will have to learn how to catch snakes now cause Dad shows no aptitude for it. He's only good with a shovel.

It managed to get on top of the chicken house roof and as i haven't finished sewing it closed, I was afraid it would be get in. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow. Still i am sure there will be more snake incidents before the season is over.

4. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Snake catchen time. I love the snakes but my roomies have the same inbreed fear of snakes that I have of large spiders. Anyway, for the squeamish take a long stick and insert 2 finishing nails into the end making a V. The nails should be inn enough not to come loose if side force is applied. Now simply locate the snake and place the V at the base of its skull and push down pinning it to the ground. the snake will try and recoil, but the skull size keeps him from backing out of it. like putting your head thru stair rails and not being able to retreat because your ears stop you. Then simply grab it at the base of the skull. It's important that you make contact with the skull because you don't want to leave room for the head to turn far enough to get you. only when you have control of the snake do you remove the pinning stick. another way is to pin the head down then cover the head with a fabric that allows you actually grip the whole head in your hand. This is actually a safer way if done properly cause there is a barrier between you and the snake and it allows you to physically keep the mouth closed while handling, like putting rubber bands around a crocs mouth. With the barrier you can control the snake from it's front, but without you will have to just keep his head from turning. Course if it is non poisonous just leave it, snakes are fun.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

A friend told me a good method just now. I like it cause it looks like i don't have to handle the snake but then reading your thing, i might have to.

She suggested making a noose by pushing through a rope through a long piece of conduit. Dangle it over the snakes head and then shove it in a pillow case or bag. Now i am not sure if i am supposed to tighten it to prevent it from slipping out but then i am not sure how to get it off after. I better go check my instructions again. I don't want to have ot touch the snake. I am a scaredy cat.

6. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    My method works great for snakes I'm used to (copperhead/water moccasin), but now that I reread your post I see it is a python. Well if it is shorter than 6' I'd use the pinning method if larger I'd have someone else come in and remove it. Maybe you can lure him into a large barrel laid on its side and trap him.

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

8. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    I've never used the conduit but looks like it'll work and if it does it would be the safer route, cheers on the info Grasshopper. I guess I'm just one of those that likes to get up close and personal with snakes and gators.

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I don't think you'd like to get too close to our gators. They'd eatya. :)

Anyhow, Margot said that wire with plastic around it works well cause its stiff but this one in the video looks ok too. Thanks for hte video because i probably wouldn't have thought to put a hole in the end etc.

Did I mention anywhere that the snake had gone this morning, so it can't have been very dead can it. I haven't sewn up my chicken house today so I will have to keep an eye out a bit this evening but i doubt it will get back up there as it must surely not be feeling too well. Tomorrow i hope to tackle that problem.

10. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    I don't know Sun. you know what they say about coon-asses, eh? ok, not that :) but if we can catch it we'll eat it.

11. floot

floot Junior Member

really,

All snakes should be captured and relocated if they are a nuisance.

Since the advent of the cane toad in the NT our snake capture rate has dropped from about 50 a year to about 15.... Whilst most of them are non-lethal, a hungry python has a really nasty bite.

If you wish to catch a snake, approach it on the issue of curiosity, ie, the snake doesnt feel like it wil be maimed and the catchers dont believe they will be bitten. I have cured many 'snake killer/visitors' at my house with this attitude.

Do not get me wrong, I am not a snake juggler, death defying wildlife warrior etc,.

Now if you approach a snake on the basis that you wish to remove it, it is not different to 'telling' a horse or a cow that you wish to relocate it. Gently, gently suffices..

We put our snakes in an esky and move them about 10km minimum.. that stops them from coming back.

I would urge all permies to not kill snakes... if they are in your domain, relocate them, if they are 'up the road' please ignore them. I do not store grain or hay and I will not have cats on the property so my 'snakes' most of them are just another asset to me.

Having said this, I/we have destroyed about 10% of the snakes that have entered my domain for a number of reasons. I am not happy that snakes have died and I am only thinking about the big ones. The lil ones are easy to catch and are often given to snake collectors.

Next time you are confronted by a snake do not assume it is 'angry' or a 'killer'... It may just need to be relocated...

BTW, I am not a snake juggler. I do think they have rights, I approach the issue on that basis. I have hundreds of snake stories and can happily say that they turned out nicely.

cheers,

12. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I have never wanted to kill a snake here except when its hunting my chickens and that was only the first time. All the others - including the poisonous ones, i let them carryon wherever they are going. They are not much of a threat to me if i don't step on them.

I wonder what you mean by "really,"

13. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Hey sun, I saw in another post someone claimed Peeing around the yard will help. Anyone able to confirm? Saw another that said plant marigolds. Curious if either works. Living on the water we get a lot of cottonmouths, and if I'm going to be using permi growing habits I'm under the assumption I'll have alot of low lying shrubbery. Though good for the soil I'll be at a disadvantage at finding said snake in hiding.

14. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

marigolds and peeing sounds too flaky to me.

15. shimmergirl

shimmergirl Junior Member

You can purchase solar snake deterients, they have a 10 metre range and they come in a pack of 2 or 4. The 4 pack are priced at $180, I know a few people with them and say they work well.

16. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

Next time...

Here's a BBC video: How Do You Catch a Python? https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7967587.stm

Notice when they want to put the snake in a convenient spot, they grab it by the tail, THEY KEEP WALKING BACKWARDS.

I don't know much about snakes, but if you don't like to handle them, maybe you can borrow a wire mesh dog trap from someone. Don't use the normal trigger, just prop the door up with a stick, with a long cord tied to the center of the stick (you're on the other end). Block off the sides and put a cage with a live animal in it at the closed end of the trap (on the outside).

The snake should realize there is live food in the cage, and may be willing to go into the trap (they're usually almost two meters long). When it is in the trap, pull the cord sharply and let the door slam down. Then pick up the trap and transport to the relocation area.

TIP: Be sure you completely understand how the trap works. Some of them have a latch that can be fastened so the door can be pushed up by the snake (or other animal) so it can get out for release. MAKE SURE this latch is not in place when you're catching the snake, it's only for release purposes.

Sue