Ecology Sustainability Uni Degree

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by baldcat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

I was told once If ya cant find the job you want,create one.

Self sufficency isnt just growing veges

I also have being outa sorts for about 6 months most winter probly lolol.But this chatting in here might just be that I, maybe some of you too, need to, take that next jump, or get something outta all this...that we been looking for
    i know, ive got lots more then in years allmost.

Tezza

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Dan the Man,

I'm going to be bold here. What you need to (consider) do(ing) is what you want to be doing. Envision it. Make it happen. I really believe that we can manifest things we want if we try, and that is not as flaky as it sounds.

And, don't chuck the IT thing. You are so good at it, and such a help. You have developed good talents. See if you can use them in areas that benefit what you support.

The course sounds great. Is it distance learning? (translates: d'ya think a Belizean can enroll long distance?) I would love to go back to school. Let me know if its distance learning and we can be class mates :lol: .

Franceyne, your resume sounds very impressive.

Tullymoor (QotF, (D)), when are we going to see photos of your artwork?

C(w)

3. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Chris,

I'm having visions of being a freelance LandCare consultant.
    I guess I'll never lose the IT thing, and the plan is to use that to train farmers into using new produces to help manage their farms better, such as GPS mapping products and the such.

The uni course is Distance Learning as this in the only way I can do it.. So give it a crack.. It is an AG College so they'll take anyone :)
    Just waiting now to hear back to see whether or no I got in.

4. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    Ecological Agriculture Degree @ Orange

G'day Dan,

We get students coming down to our annual Bendigo Permaculture Design Course (https://www.permaculture.biz/SalvosPDC) from Orange, NSW. They are Ecological Agriculture undergraduates who get credit for doing our course, notwithstanding our lack of accreditation with either the Permaculture Institute or APT. I believe one of our lecturers: David Holmgren, together with another Victorian Permaculturalist, Graeme George, have contributed to the curriculum of this course.

What I am unsure about is whether they do any distance learning for this course or not. You would have to check that out.

Good to hear about your intentions as it is what I have been doing (beyond LandCare though!) full time since 1993. Not home that much these days though with a long term permaculture development project under development with Mars Inc. in southern Viet Nam.

I started designing and developing farms before I even did my first PDC. I did get a Whole Farm Planning Certificate (Train the Trainer) back in 1995 at Longerenong (Melb. Uni) together with my Diploma of Permaculture Design that same year two years after completing my first PDC (@ Candelo NSW). I have since done two more PDC's (1995 and 2005) the latter with Geoff Lawton and Bill Mollison this month in Melbourne, more to meet and glean from Geoff who I have for a long time respected. Bill and I have taught a couple of PDC's together earlier this century, which was great. It was good to catch up with him again. I have also done some Albrecht soils workshops with Neal Kinsey, which were great, and I use ProAg or APAL for my soil tests.

Would be glad to help you out with my work systems etc. on the basis of the "cooperation not competition" principle. I have been using MapInfo since about 1996 I think after first being exposed to its use for farm planning at the Longerenong WFP course. I still use it today for the same work.

Keep in touch, and say G'day to our dear friends Bob and Jill Robbins @ Minyip if ever you bump into them.

Ciao Darren Doherty

5. feline_apollo

feline_apollo New Member

social ecology at uws

hi dan

have you looked at the social ecology masters at uws? it is a coursework degree. you can do it distance, part time, one or two subjects per semester, and only have to go up for one week residential each semester. a time not to be missed. has any one else out there done or heard of this degree? i am just about to graduate, and it is the most life changing, affirming, transformative and right future creating course out there in academia land. :D i did subjects such as imagination in action, eco psychology, chaos and complexity, leadership and change, narratology, and sense of place. it is education for a new world paradigm. it is very subjective, personally reflective and transformative - not like other degrees. it really asks you to look at the nature of things, ie complexity theory, systems, emotional intelligences, how imagination and learning occur in the body, change ... it is a very general course - it won't teach you the specifics of what you want to teach,like recycling, but i assume you have and will continue to pick that experience up elsewhere. the course is full of social change agents, organisational managers, teachers, activists, environmental workers, artists, permaculturists, often all wrapped up in the one organism :!:

search for it under
    https://www.uws.edu.au

best wishes

spacecat

6. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Looks good at first glace,,, will read a little more into it later cheers.

7. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I GOT IN :partyman:

8. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Congratulations Dan!!! :D

When do you start, what units are you doing (do you know yet?). How exciting! Well done :D