Ecology Sustainability Uni Degree

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by baldcat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Ok,

So I'm very bored with my work life (IT Manager)..

And the one thing that really interests me is Ecology and Sustainability.

I would really like to be able to learn this field then maybe bridge over to it through learning.. As I'm already financially tied I can't just quit my job and go and study full time (Although I would like that..)

Does anyone know if there are any courses that offer this subject . I have found a course at the Uni of Victoria, but it is only FT, and PT no Off campus.. This is the only course I have found.. Others have included these subjects but are more for the council jobs ie Enviroment Officer etc etc.

I live 3 hours from Melbourne so getting there for a 2 hour lecture at 7pm just doesn't work... How are people supposed to be able to get into these fields if they aren't accessable ??

Someone please prove me wrong and inform me of a course or something that I can sink my teeth into as I die of bordom in my small office...

2. futuredesigner

futuredesigner Junior Member

https://www.futuredesigners.com.au course info
    why spend years chained to a degree course when all
    the fundamentals are covered in the bill mollison curriculum
    regards leo

3. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Yeah I have looked at many courses, Problem being majority of them are either in NSW or QLD.. Another thing. If I were to go for a job, they ask "what qualifications do you have ?" Do I say, "I have a degree in Ecology and Sustainability", or "I have done a 2 week Permaculture Design Course" :? Especially since I have no prior experience.

Yes I agree that in a mollison curriculum covers the fundimentals.. But that is only scraping the surface. I'm sure the degree offers a lot more than a mollison curriculum otherwise, everyone would be doing them, and not the degree..

4. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Dan,

Are you looking at the course to change career paths? Do you know what specific field you want ot work in? What soecific role you want to head to?

Many moons ago I wanted to be a Park Ranger, so I went off to my local National Park and chatted with the Head Rangers about what courses and experience they looked for when employing Park Rangers...they told me about a particular TAFE course at a particular TAFE and talked in length about being involved and enthusiastic and the benifits of volunteer work and I went and followed their advice - and ended up where I thought I wanted to be...

Maybe you would like to do something similar - chat to people in or those that hire in your desired field/role and see what course/activities they recommend.

Cheers,
    Fran.

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I would like to get into a role with say a shire, and be able to run eco sustainability projects for the community.. Whether it starting a community garden / helping the community set it up, to running workshops for farmers on how they can help fight salinity and erosion.
    Would also like to have a voice in things such as waste disposal and recycling programs.

I think I do need a career change.. I have been working in IT for 8 years now. 7 with the military and 1 in civy land... I'm just not challenged, and I feel stagnant.. I don't have the luxury of having a heap of cash to go buy some land and practice self sustainabilty and permiculture, so I figure I could get a job doing it.. The land might come a bit later on , hopefully.

I'm not really one for Uni, never have been.. I'd much prefer to do a TAFE course, or even better a cadetship.. But finding those is easier said than done.. I'm also quite aware that what I want to do, may take a few years of experience before I get that level, but that is something to strive for, and I'll be learning at the same time.

I guess I'll see wait and see.

6. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Nothing comes to those that sit around waiting Dan :wink: Have you spoken with your local council? Or perhaps other related consulting companies?

:D

7. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I haven't done anything thus far except look for courses..,, Taking a cadetship would mean a fair pay cut, and at this stage I can't afford that (mortage, and investment home... AAAGHHHH I hate being a grown up)

In a perfect world I could just drop everything and do it.. Unfortunatly my circumstances don't allow that. I'm going to talk to VIDA (I think it is Victorian Institute of Dryland Agriculture) about it first. They have a large group here in Horsham with all the science nerds etc (including a friend) so they are first port of call. Then it will be Grampians Water Authority. Then possibably Landcare.. And I'll see what I come up with.

8. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Sounds like a plan Dan!

You have my best wishes.

I want ot look at doing as similar thing in about 18 months - when I have a liitle more paid of my morgage and have set my current gaggle of staff on their choosen career and/or life paths.

:D

9. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Good luck Dan...just keep knocking on doors, asking questions, netwoking. Someone, somewhere along the way will lead you to something. Gawd, that was deep, not!

Franceyne, what did you end up doing? Only if you want to tell of course :)

10. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Tully,

I was employed by Parks Victoria six months before I completed my course (mainly due to my grades and extra activity in the industry and my badgering :wink: ), I worked at Point Nepean NP, Yarra Rangers NP and Yarra Bend NP before taking a position back at the TAFE I originally studied at as the Technical Adviser/Lab Tech.

Then I got a little disillusioned with all the politics of the systems in which I was working - I think I was just too young to deal with it and it got to me. So I went away and got a job that I didn't care so much about and that I could easily leave at the door... I became a telemarketer with a small family run business :D and ended up office manager within a few years - from there I went from being a big fish in tiny pond to tiny fish in a vast ocean and took a entry level administration role with an international membership organisation, 12 months later I got a promotion to an advising role (on international education) - two and a half years after that I was promoted into my managers position when she retired. I've been in this role for 12 months, and with the company for nearly five years.

I'm in very conservative world surrounded by designer label suits - just a little country girl with dirt under her finger nails, second hand clothes and an ability to speak her mind and coach and lead people. :)

I'd like to step away though - work closer to nature again...

I hope that doesn't sound too much like trumpet blowing :oops:

What about you Tully, how do you spend your hours away from your paradise?

:)
    Fran.

11. ~Tullymoor~

WOW! Good on you Fran, blow your trumpet all you like...mine's a bit out of tune (do trumpets get out of tune? maybe I should have said it's tarnished...) at the moment . I got a job in retail about 6 weeks ago but due to one thing and another I haven't started yet. Long story...boring.
    In the mean time I had a mind to make my mosaic water bowls/birdbaths/pots (not fine art I assure you) and have a market stall. Stall being the operative word cos I just can't seem to do the stuff on command...I have to do it when the mood stikes, usually at 1 am and there is no power in the shed.....very frustrating. So, the other night we brought the whole messy lot inside, very open minded of husband I thought :D now my dining room aint exactly haute decor I can tell you! Tressle table and busted bits of tile and grout etc everywhere.
    And still I sit here, at the puter!!!!!!!!!
    How does Glenn, who's a "real" artitist no doubt, stay on task, keep motivated?

12. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Thank you Tullymoor :D

I think motivation is the hardest thing and all art is fine :D

Glenn will go for months not doing any real art - although he did paint all our power sockets, light fixtures, and the smoke alarm the exact same colour as the mud bricks or timber that they rest on (mixing the colour from blue, red and yellow paint - which just amazes me)...and then there was the time that he painted the internal exhaust pipe thingy from the rota-loo to look like our eucalypt trees - but then he will get an idea and work non-stop, 10-12 hour days to get a piece (or series) finished. At these time I need to call him to make sure that he has eaten and had enough fluids! :lol:

For Glenn it is best that he does not think about sellng the end piece, that he just does what he wants, what interests him, what he needs to get out with those paints and brushes.

But this forum is not the best for doing any other work :wink: I find myself constantly procrastinating about work to have just a little peek to see what you all are up to :lol:

Perhaps you could pop some photos up in the forum somewhere - there may be a few people that would be interested in contacting you and purchasing your art? That could be a motivator in it's self.

Cheers,
    Fran.

13. ~Tullymoor~

Can you post pics of some of Glenn's work? pweeze? :D

Dan, sorry to totally hijack your thread :shock:

14. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

We don't have any pictures on the computer...but let me see what I can do :D

You have my apologies too Dan :oops:

15. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Dan, I agree with what Tullymoor and Franceyne have said here about getting out there and talking with people already in the areas you want to become involved in. At the same time you should never totaly discount the skills you already have .

As Bill Mollison said in that article which was posted on here a while back, use the skills you have, if your good with computers don't try to grow all of your own stuff, use the skills you have to help others. Try to help organise online sales for growers, try to help some different groups like the 'city farm' here in Perth were looking for volunteers to help with occasional IT support. OK, that is only volunteer but you never know who you might meet, where it may lead, and your involved in the areas you want to be, with other people while using your specific skills..

I feel that some qualifications are over rated, I work as an electrical draftsman/designer, at the moment there are many jobs available in the $50-$60 an hour range which I could get with no qualifications in the field at all... It's all about the contacts I have made over the years and the experience I've gained, and nothing to do with qualifications or courses of any sort...

The only qualifications I do have, a trade certificate in horticulture,I've never used. Because while your plumbers, electricians, mechanics, carpenters etc can make a very good living in their trades, horticulturalists are generally paid only slightly more than a labourer. Horticulture is one of those fields that people just give it a go themselves, how hard can it be to grow plants.... :?

I do understand where your coming from with the stagnant feeling and lack of motivation... I should be working now but I just can't bring myself to do it.. Haven't been able to for the last couple of weeks either...

Hey Franceyne, I liked the description you gave of yourself "surrounded by designer label suits - just a little country girl with dirt under her finger nails, second hand clothes and an ability to speak her mind" :D

Tullymoor, are you going to show us some pics of your mosaics? :D

16. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

... Oh that's ok, I have hijacked plenty with my red herings..

Motivation is a killer... I suffer from this disorder (not having any) I usally have a great idea (do an ideas man) throw it off a few people, everyone gets excited, and then nothing comes of it.... Ahh story of my life.

My working life, nearly hasn't been as long.. Finishing Uni at 19, I went off to become a Radio DJ, and music production. After 6 months things didn't work out and it wasn't what I wanted.. Floated for a bit, Flower Delivery in Toorak, Landscaping, vineyard, Farm hand, shearer, barman, hay bailer, Yardie,.. At 21 I joined the Army as I couldn't get the career thing happening in the country, just no jobs (none that I wanted anyway)
    7 years later, several deployments, lots of bush, I made it to the dizzy heights of Cpl... YAY.. After a review they told me it was time for promotion to SGT, and I'm thinking, acid wash jeans, sneakers and polo shirt living int he mess... So I discharged (Jan '05) and here I am back in the country, with the career thing, but still not happy... The rest you all know about.

17. ~Tullymoor~

Dan, why would becoming a SGT mean acid wash jeans and polo shirts???????? :roll:

I was going to say perzackerly the same thing as Joel said re the Bill Mollison interview.....use the skills you have to help others, set things up, market their produce.

But, I reckon you should rent out your place/s , chuck in the job and grab your dog and Sam of course and high tail it up to Cathy's place and knock up a shack, run around starkers and grow vegies and build stuff!!

It won't cost you anything and you can see if it's really the life for you.

18. barely run

barely run Junior Member

:razz: We have in mind to grow organic beef...have an abbortoir and butcher who will kill individual carcasses. Will need IT support to set up a web site to promote and order and such like stuff.
    Finding a permie/organic minded IT support person would be cool. Don;t discount your IT as a way to sustainable living. Setting up projects with others for payment or as barter for food is not a bad way to go. And for holidays you can come dig and plant stuff with us.. :p
    Cathy

19. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

20. ~Tullymoor~

Go for it Dan the Man, best of luck!