Eco-village a model of sustainability in NSW

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by purplepear, Nov 28, 2009.

1. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: Eco-village a model of sustainability in NSW

Brilliant article, thanks Mark. I had not come across this one before, I'll add it to my ecovillage research folder.

The in depth study of this sort of endeavour (see: https://www.camdenhavenecovillage.com.au/ and maybe one hundred similar to it, from all across Australia) is what will keep me very busy during the next 2-years while I knock out my thesis on Intentional Community (IC).

Some of the (very loose) questions of ICs (in particular, Australian-based ones) I hope to answer are:

Just how 'green' are they?

What are the barriers to further development?

Do alternative forms of community organisation (as opposed to neo-liberal, 'western' democratic) work?

What is the expected longevity of ICs?

At what point will critical mass be obtained?

Are the dynamic?

Cheerio, and thanks again, Marko.

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

If you need street based responses to your questions rather that academic ones that I am happy to participate.

We need to keep attainable levels of "greenness" and aviod conflict over plastic v cement rainwater tanks or similar "red herrings'

Looking for a "concensus"decision among the entire group of participants.

They can't do much worse but I feel it would need some "figurehead" or authoritarian guide like a king Solomon?

Do we exclude trouble makers or work with them? Betweeen 1 and fifty years.

When the bickering is because of boredom and not personalities.

I love your work Marko but I'll stick to gardening.

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Looking for a "concensus"decision among the entire group of participants.

They can't do much worse but I feel it would need some "figurehead" or authoritarian guide like a king Solomon?

Do we exclude trouble makers or work with them? Betweeen 1 and fifty years.

When the bickering is because of boredom and not personalities.

I love your work Marko but I'll stick to gardening.[/quote:skvz6i1p]

G'day Marko :p

Hey mate, please don't degenerate yourself by saying things like "too much for my head", or "i'm just a gardener". What you and your merry band of warriors are achieving at Purple Pear is nothing short of revolutionary. We are all in this same old crate (Gaia), together. Each needs to be doing something towards plotting a future path beyond sustainability. Some are big on theory, others are more involved in practice. The real challenge ahead is to find the common ground that will allow us all (each entity on Earth) to move forward in a fair and just manner. You help me, I help you, together we help someone else. It's all good.

Now back to your offer for some "street based responses": Yes, good (holistic, or 'Integral') research uses multiple methodologies for obtaining data - both objective and subjective - in order to get a 'bigger picture'. When the time comes (mid next year?) for me to undertake the research by interview component of my study, I will surely give you a 'hoy' (or as we say here in the bush, a 'coo-ee').

I'm so very happy that you have jumped the first batch of hurdles with regards to getting the PP Education centre happening. As you will be aware from my posts to this forum, I believe education is the key to our survival as a species. And because we play such a leading role in the lives (read: destruction) of other species, it is equally important that we allow education to enable us to better understand our place in this wonder-filled universe.

Cheerio mate, and thanks again, Markus.