eat more meat-a million dingoes cant be wrong

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by janahn, Jun 6, 2009.

1. janahn

janahn Junior Member

I recently watched "greening the desert" and I was somewhat startled by the assertion that "goats were like maggots, stripping the flesh off the land"

In my particular system that was prior to my purchase a piece of ruined farming/grazing land, sheep and goats are useful allies in restoring and maintaining fertility and production. They provide multiple yields. The will replace fossil fuels in the long term as part of my management regime.

a lamb is only as good as its master.

Animals are integral to human survival and prosperity. The missing link in many permaculture systems it appears to me is the lack of optimal integration of animals with the intent to conserve energy and boost yields.

Leo M

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Re: eat more meat-a million dingoes cant be wrong

I agree :D

Goats are a very usful animal for many purposes yet there is a lot of predudice against them

Harness and pack goats are rare in Australia and it is an area with great potential - we have the goats but need the knowledge and necessary equipment !

recently an article I read on climate change said goats were one of the animals most likely to be able to adapt and survive climate change

frosty

3. janahn

janahn Junior Member

the most crucial piece of infrastructure for most animals is fencing.

match animals with systems and the effect is dynamic. i am ultimately building an orchard garden grazing system incorporating sheep and select poultry/emus.

the goats have their own patch in a designated grazing heathland. behind a fence.

i often think that the best way to spend aid money overseas is on earthworks and fencing. never happens but one day maybe...

4. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

hello
    It had to happen sooner or later leo, I have to agree with you :wink:

Fencing is the thing with goats and there we have the single biggest design challenge with goats (and all animals) we want to incorporate into our systems. And incorporate them we must - it is a permaculture imperative to my thinking.

if you create a system sans animals, is it an accurate model of nature? No.
    When one casts an eye over the landscape one must remind oneself that the observed is but a remnant of Nature. A bastion of survival scarred, and brutalized by humanity. Much of it is gone never to return. That said, one can imagine what 'wild and free' would look like...in my 'looks', I see animals.

I've had goats several times. Every time I fail the goats with less than is required in terms of management. Goats remain 'blots' on my permaculture copy book. Amid my success's there are always the goat stories the kids can bring up to bring me down. I have milked Saanen and shorn Angora and bred range goats for eating. Currently I have no goats. I 'snapped' once (the last time) when one angora with wings just got out one too many times.

In the old days (the ones of my dads dad) a young bloke would have a 'Billy Cart', decently harnessed to a Billy goat. How bloody cool is that. I know that if I was a boy I'd want one. Me and me mates would get up to some serious 'jousting' and stuff behind our 'steeds'. How impoverished are kids today?
    sit 'World of Warcraft' alongside a Billy cart with goat - the comparison is typical of what's been lost, to what's been gained.

And nothing smells like a billly goat. Ah the good old days.
    regards, Kimbo

5. nate_taylor

nate_taylor Junior Member

but didn't a dingo eat that poor woman's baby?

6. Flying Binghi

Flying Binghi Junior Member

Nah, that were a rabid Dropbear.

My thoughts (well, i read it somewhere) - well managed goats can replace the red steer method of weed control and fuel reduction in places.

7. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

The grandfather had sheep the father had goats the son had nothing.Well managed this isnt the case and I believe that those goats in the movie were not well managed.
    Best wishes BS