Earth Bank

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tanya Cameron, Oct 21, 2003.

1. My inlaws have an earth bank that is eroding away at a rapid rate. Between the bank is their driveway and then their house. I am not sure of the slope but on looking at it I think it is more than 15 degrees. I was going to try planting some vetiver grass in clumps along the bank, along with a small patch of clumping bamboo (any suggestions for types). They have a diversion ditch higher up diverting to their orchard trees but are still noticing erosion from water seeping down through the bank. The bank is probably 3/4 metres high. I was also going to try planting a vine and trellising up the bank to help stabilise it as well. Any suggestions greatly received - and I'll deposit them safely in the BANK!

Tanya Cameron

2. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

tanya - are there any reasons as to why the bank can't be terraced in one of the usual ways?

say some red gum sleepers or something and then small shrubs planted into flat ground and the roots given a chance to take hold and consolidate the whole area?

cheers

3. BlueDogsBark

BlueDogsBark Junior Member

Hi Tanya,
    If you are interested in bamboo for erosion control then check out
    Bamboo World
    They have a huge variety of clumping bamboo to choose from.
    David.