1. j_cornelissen

j_cornelissen Junior Member

Hi everyone, been reading the posts on this forum with great interest and was wondering if I could get some advice re. ducks.

Unfortunately a fox visited our chookpen, which was left open. Am thinking about getting some ducks to add to the two remaining chooks (lucky things were exiled as they were broody). We had some ducklings for a weekend (Science project for the school I work at) and I was amazed at the amount of mess these tiny animals produced.

My questions are; do ducks make a lot more mess, as in poo, compared to chooks?? And also, how can you tell the difference between male and female ducks?

Would be great if you guys could help me out,

cheers, Jan

2. Ev

Ev Junior Member

Re: ducks

I find my muscovies chunkier/messier than my appleyards almost liquid poo, also the appleyards spend alot more time on the pond which is less poo on land as well, which is no problem when you have a hydroponic system cleaning the pond.

Ducks quack drakes "rasp" in mallard type ducks

Not quacking type Muscovies ducks the male is bigger, I know little more about them someone else will though

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

if your chook run is covered in mulch or they have a good free range area the poo shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I've had muscovies and they are excellent - the drakes will keep any fox away from his flock - -they grow huge

I've currently got a pair of indian runners - brilliant layers - have hardly stopped since I got them.

so long as they have somewhere to duck their heads under water that's about all they'll need.... no need for a pond

4. j_cornelissen

Thanks for the replies guys,

I only have space for 3 ducks max, so I am not looking for not the non-laying i.e. male variety. D'you reckon they'll be alright with the chooks in the same pen??

J

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

mine are OK with chooks

tho the first day there was world war three - -

I'd advise letting the chooks see the ducks outside the run for a day or two - the ducks won't damage too much - and once the chooks have seen them the pecking order won't be as viscious

6. j_cornelissen

thanks. will give it a go