Ducks & Chickens together.

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Pakanohida, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I have on order...

2 Buckeye - cold hardy, known to kill mice and rats.
    2 Ameraucana - good egg layers
    2 Cuckoo Marans - Chocolate eggers, great at free ranging on rough terrain.

All Chickens are ordered as hens, lets hope they sex them right. Also on order are...

9 Chocolate Indian Runners (straight run)- Slug Control, nutrient recycling, meat

I have 1 area set up as a duck run for them at the moment but am hoping they also get to free range (together with the chickens) in the food forest & kitchen garden areas of zone 1 through 2 (currently).

Should I keep them together, or near one another at all times even after they are old enough to be outside?

What's the best way to get the ducks off of purchased food?

Are you having a nice day?:bow:

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Hi! Our experience has been that the ducks and chooks totally ignore each other! Ours are housed separately but next to each other and apparently this is a good idea as the ducks are incredibly messy and not so good for chooks to be in the wet mess. Even when out during the day they keep to themselves.
    The most important thing at first is to keep them locked up in their pens so they learn where to come back to at night. For chooks I find this can be quite short - just a few days and they are 'homed'. My Indian Runners were so clueless and flighty that there was no way I was letting them out for some time although I had an adult pair and four quite young ducklings. I kept them locked up for about 10 weeks. After that I found they were fine coming back to their pen from day one of free ranging. We still feed our ducks pellets from a feeder in their pen. Personally I think its important to still have some pelleted feed but you might have better foraging at your place. I find the ducks don't forage much at all during the day (although that might change in winter). They get out and about mainly at the start and end of the day. They knew how to forage themselves from day one.
    Have fun!

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That isn't really where chocolate eggs come from it is? (If it is I'm SOOO getting some of those cuckoo marans....)

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

This all gave me pause last night, and I scrapped 2 projects because of it. I moved the "structure" of where the duck housing is going, and am making them a much smaller run now. More research to do. :)

Eco, did you see how dark those eggs are?! Seems to me that this is where the chocolate eggs come from. ;) Speaking of, I think we are going to have a lot of eggs this summer! :D

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

They look more like beetroot to me!

6. Synergy

Synergy Junior Member

I kept ducks and chickens together in a big 100 foot by 100 foot yard with seperate housing as well. There were no conflicts nor health issues other than they ate each others supplemented feed. I had a single duck on unfertilized eggs and she was so determined to be a good mother so I slipped a fertilized chicken egg under her and she hatched out a chick. That did not work so well as the chick did not like water and the duck never fed him so basically I raised it and he chose to live his life with the ducks and was seriously terrified of chickens . So my lesson learned , he had a good life but it was so skewered with him being so identity confused I would never do that again.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Well, I moved housing around in Zone 1, what a nightmare that is. Luckily it's winter here (in theory) and most things are still dormant. Chooks & ducks arrive next month... ..so excited.

8. mouseinthehouse

This morning I went to let the ducks out and they are all up one end of the pen in a nervous state. Oh, the water dish near the door has been tipped over. Horror!
    LOL - water dish set right, but one hour later they are still in there refusing to walk past it to the open door. They really are hilarious with their little quirks. You will have a lot of fun!

9. annette

annette Junior Member

Lol. Maybe a malicious leaf or something has fallen near the dish. :)

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

LOL

Ohhh wonderful.

Well, I am taking the old wood shed and converting it to a chook home / green house. This is located in zone 1 right adjacent to the kitchen garden. Then duck housing is being made from pallets & the plethora of wood I have here on the property on the other side of zone 1, on the border of zone 2 / food forest zone. I am burying an old bathtub near the ducks so they can use it if they want as well, and it will have a faucet downhill for watering the food forest with the duck water.

11. mouseinthehouse

Sounds great. If you are getting adult ducks no problem with the bath, but if you ever have ducklings they need a shallow bit to get in and out or they will drown. Burying the bath as you mentioned might be okay for ducklings to get in but not sure if it could be difficult for getting out?
    You will still have to manually remove the heaps of muck which they accumulate in the bottom of the bath at least once a week. When setting up your downhill faucet bear in mind the muck will be inches thick on the bottom in a matter or two or three days. This was my problem with my initial 'pond'. I couldn't empty it adequately. In a week or so it was putrid. So now I just have a plastic 'clam shell' which is sold as a little children's sand pit or paddling pool. I can manually lift it and tip the water and goop out every day and refill. I have one in their pen and one out in the garden where they spend most of the day under the shrubs.

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I started making a new pond... my back is killing me.

The ducks are growing so much faster than the chooks, very surprising.

I am interested in creating some duck based aquaponics now since I also saw a video of it on youtube.

13. digging

digging Junior Member

I tried to keep them together in a rather large fenced area with trees, stream and grass, yet the male duck and male chicken kept fighting ALOT the chicken really hurt the male duck in the end.

digging

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Wow the chicken won! I would have thought it would be the other way round.

15. Mudman

Mudman Junior Member

We have had chickens and ducks together and had no problems, they need their own space as one lot like scratching & having dust baths and the other play in the mud.
    We found the kids plastic shell sandpits were great for the duck as they could hop in and were light enough to tip out to clean. You can drag them to where you want the gunk in the bottom.
    We try to stay away from old baths as they are very deep and we have had a couple of chickens drown in them.