1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I"ve four ducks and one drake. One of them is not laying? Any comments on this. Any ideas whether it might be barren or just going to be a late starter. She's about 11 months old now.

How long is the egg laying season? I've just found out on wiki that i can preserve the eggs and am wondering if i should do this to some of them.

On the other hand, i will probably always have plenty of eggs now that i've got chickens but still i'd like to know how long the season is.

Also at the moment i'm spending about $20 a month on laying pellets for five ducks, one hen and 4 fast growing chicks. How much do you think i should sell my duck eggs for? What about the chicken eggs? The latter are quite small about 40-50g i'd guess.

I"ve been giving my eggs away so far but will have a ton of them and obviously would at least like to cover my costs and secondly, I do need more income. So what would be an acceptable price do you think to sell to any willing neighbours?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm guessing you have taken into consideration that the drake won't lay....

If I were selling my eggs I'd price them between regular caged and free range organic eggs in your local supermarket. Most people won't buy them unless they think they are getting a discount compared to the store bought product. The duck eggs are bigger so maybe 25% more than the chook eggs?

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Cheers eco. The other thing about ducks is that they don't lay all year round apparently. So theoretically one could factor that in to the price too. I still haven't found out when they don't lay though. Probably winter.

4. geoff

geoff Junior Member

Hi sun burn,

Our Indian Runners have laid eggs all through winter. They generally go off the lay when they have their moult, which is usually around the time the ducklings would be hatching, summer-ish or thereabouts.

We sell our duck eggs for $4.50 a dozen to a shop that sells them for $9. They are a niche item, but your local CWA may contain customers if they get into sponge baking! Our chook eggs go for $2 a dozen to our neighbours, but that's probably a "friends" price, that same shop sells chook eggs for $5 a dozen.

5. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

15 years ago a butcher in Marybro' Qld was selling a doz. duck eggs for $1 , a mate would also get a big bunch of silverbeet and make the best quiche .

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I thought you might like to know what i learnt today from reading a book about ducks. Its ok to feed boiled eggs to chickens and ducks. I'd rather do this with surplus than give them all away as it will reduce my feed expenses which are soon to blow out due to all the baby ducklings that i hope will be born, and the baby chickens that i am going to get from the farmer. To tell the truth the duckling thing is a bit daunting. I hope htere are not too many.

Belatedly, this duck book i'm reading (raising ducks by DAve Holderread) tells how to select them from the nest as the duck starts to sit on them. That shoudl be a good way to keep the numbers down in the future if i want more. Perhaps with all these little ducklings, I will have to start eating some boo hoo/yum yum.

I also got a nice aussie chicken book from teh library called Keeping chickens and Australian guide.

Both are filled with heaps of great advice that i've forgotten most of already.

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

What breed of ducks you got sunburn? any pics?

Tezza

8. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

Chickens stop laying during molt, when they are stressed (heat, lack of food, lack of water) and when the daily number of sunlight hours drops to less than 14.

Here is an interesting link on feeding chickens, with info on feed recipes, protein requirements and calculations, feeding worms, etc: https://www.lionsgrip.com/chickens.html

A friend of mine refers to eating eggs as 'birth control'.

Some people are getting more interested in where their food comes from, and prefer non-factory farming of animals. A local couple who raise eggs and sell them at the farmer's market said their sales jumped a LOT when they pinned up large color photos of their 'girls' roaming in their pasture and chasing bugs. They label their photos as 'TRUE Free Range Eggs from Happy Hens'.

Forget the people who are only interested in a cheap price, they're not worth any effort at all.

Sue

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I agree with your last point. And i have to say that since i am producing my own eggs now, i have successfully weaned my father off buying cheap eggs. He doesn't have to any more! He still doesn't care about the poor chickens in those nasty cages though. But he admit to enjoying seeing the birds running around the garden.