duck eggs laying question.

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by sun burn, Nov 17, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Ok so the ducks have finished sitting/hatching their ducklings. How soon after they have gone of their eggs (and none hatched) or hatched their chicks will they start laying again.

2. permup

permup Junior Member

My only experience is my Khaki Campbell. Her first batch hatched, and it would have been a couple of months before she started laying again I think. After that, she has tried so many times but they never hatch any more, they just go rotten eventually (its so sad). It seems to take her about 6-8 weeks to start laying again each time after giving up. Not sure whether this is different for different breeds?

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

That is sad. Poor little thing.

Anyway thanks for the info, I will stop keeping them locked up in the mornings. It looks like i've ruined them all for two months since all were sitting for a bit. I wonder if its because they lose condition and or hormones. And they have to get healthy again. I suppose when i think about it, it was about 6-8 weeks when the hen started laying again too.