Duck Egg recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by trishandpete, Feb 3, 2010.

1. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Thanks to foxes I have a shortage of chook eggs and a surfeit of duck eggs. I have found through trial and error that you can use duck eggs in exchange for chook eggs, about 1 duck to 2 chook eggs, BUT the duck egg is higher in fat. It's best to cut down the butter in your recipe if using duck eggs, just by about 10-20g depending on how many eggs you use. This works very well for cakes, otherwise they take too long to cook, and can be a bit heavy.

Now, duck eggs taste different, and smell different, too. So I don't like 'em scrambled or poached or fried, but in a quiche or frittata they really come into their own. Try this: one portion of savoury short pastry made with duck egg yolk and cutting down the butter by 20-30g depending on the size of your duck egg. Make the pastry as usual, blind bake etc. Make the filling: the white of the duck egg, plus two more duck eggs lightly beaten, add a teaspoon of fresh herbs like oregano and sage, line your pastry case with fresh spinach, pour in the egg mixture, drop in some fetta cubes, blanched esparagus and peas, slivers of mushroons and sprinkle with murray river pink salt and cracked pepper. Arrange cut side up some halved cherry tomatoes around the side. Make a cutout of remaining pastry to put in the middle (i cut out ducks kissing each other in a nod to my lovely husband and our prolific ducks) and bake until set. Serve with a tossed green salad (rocket, spinach, cress, endive, cucumber) with balsamic and home pressed olive oil!

Unfortunately, duck eggs do not taste that great as pavlova OR custard..... any other ideas?

2. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

We make pavlova and meringues from our duck eggs. They seem to have a better consistency and don't collapse like the chook egg ones can. Can't say I can taste any difference between duck and chook pav. Our eggs come from runner ducks, though, so perhaps they're milder than other breeds?

One or our standard way to use up eggs is to make pasta. Approx 1 egg to 100 g of '00' flour, knead, run through pasta roller, then freeze in sheets or roll up and cut for immediate use. Great for spaghetti/fettucine, ravioli (a bit more fiddly), lasagne, etc. You can also drape the pasta over broomsticks etc to air dry and then store in jars. If you've been making pavlovas etc and have lots of yolks left over, then make the pasta on just yolk (about 3 yolks = 1 whole egg) for a really rich and creamy taste sensation.

If all else fails and you really can't get rid of them, you can hard-boil them and mash them up shells-and-all, and feed them back to the chooks.