Dryland Ground Cover

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by StarrB., Feb 8, 2015.

1. StarrB.

StarrB. New Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cold Temperate
    Hello, all. I'm looking for some species names of heat and drought resistant ground covers to replace grass. Please let me know what has worked for you! Thanks.

~Starr

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi StarrB,
    We've been using a combination of vetch (cool season) and clover (summers) for our basic ground covers. Both can fix nitrogen, be cut back (mowed) and "dropped" and provide flowers for pollinators.
    Here's a write-up on both (in the same article!): https://www.kauffmanseed.com/cover-crops/cool-season-broadleaf/legume/
    Not sure of your annual precipitation, but between these two options you may be able to find something that works for you.

3. drendrewolf

drendrewolf Junior Member

I've had great luck with lucerne (alfalfa) as a ground cover and anchor plant. We have incredibly arid seasons here and the lucerne rarely needs to be watered after it's first year. We cut it twice a year and use the clippings to mulch more tender plants and trees. It can also be used to feed livestock, or go into soups or salads. It stands up to flooding pretty well too. We also use it as a living mulch for larger plants and small trees and as a boarder to anchor spots that want to wash away while larger bushes and trees are growing.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Yes, me too. We have a patch of alfalfa strictly untended that is flourishing and spreading in our 9"-15" precipitation climate, in very shallow soil. Truly a wonderful plant!