Drought = job loss

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Chook Nut, May 24, 2005.

1. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi all,

A few ppl have posted topics about moving to another place in Oz, whether it be north or south.

I mention this b/c my wife and i did the same thing not so long ago to buy our property just over an hour south-west of Brisbane. I took a risk by leaving a safe "cushy" govt. job fo become more a part of the community here and save 3 hours travel per day. It was really great to find work in the nursery industry again, especially with a boss who is into permaculture and revegetation on her own property.

Up until now our shire has been in a "green" drought, but is now gripped into propper drought and is looking forward to a bad winter where those without good irrigation and those who graze cattle will suffer. This dwindles down the whole community and has led to the end of my job seeing as ppl don't have water to plant trees etc.

I am confident after speaking with local farmers that i can pick up a day or two of work here and there, (which is all i am after), so am not terribly worried financially.

I only post this b/c it is something to be aware of for thos ppl looking for a lifestyle change or a move to a country area. I think if your prepared to do any kind of work, (which i am), you will find it. I can always find work back in Brissie but am looking at that as a last resort!

If there is any advice i would pass onto ppl who are looking at a move to the country is this. Do your homework and if water is an essential part of your plans then look for a high rainfall area!!! I have no regrets about moving to this shire whose average rainfall is 800mm per year, and is would be considered dry/sub-tropical in climate. But my wife and i have discussed that we would consider moving to a 1200mm plus rainfall area sometime in the future. But certainly in no hurry to do so at the moment.

Cheers... Dave

2. mossbackfarm

mossbackfarm Junior Member

Good thoughts, Dave, that apply to more places than just Oz. The freakishly dry winter we've had in the northwestern US has farmers planting alternative (lower paid) crops, and the seasonal work force will be cut back dramatically.

Flexibility in the face of such things are what makes permies hardy in all climates... :)

Rich

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Dave, do you collect rainwater? If you have a 110 sq m house, that's about 19,000 gallons of water a year. Pity to waste it.

Sue

4. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

We certainly do Sue... we currently have two 5,000 gallon tanks.... this serves as our drinking, showering and sink water; the toilets, outside taps and laundry are serviced by town water.

I have 2 sheds that i would like to get tanks onto so i can get my bottom paddock established with local dry rainforest natives but will have to wait awhile b4 i can afford them.

All my grey water services my top native area that has rainforest gardens to keep them moist.

Cheers... Dave