Drough in Australia and "greening the desert"

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Antonino Giglio, May 29, 2005.

1. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

Dear friends,

I'm shocked by these days news and to see Australia with no water.
    I knew Australia was a dry continent but didn't immagine that bad.

My question is, I saw the video "greening the desert" by Geoff and I was wandering why the Permaculture people don't talk with the government.
    If Geoff greened a desert in jordan I don't see why it cannot be done here.

If the government doesn't listen why don't go to talk with farmers?

Is there anything I can do myself? I've already enrllled in the PDC by Bill Mollison and Geoff.

Cheers,

Antonino

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

My cynical opinion: Many people would rather lose their property than make a change, esp a sudden change.

"It's new, it's strange, we want absolute guarantees that it will work. We don't want to pay anything, we want the government to foot the bill. We don't want to have to think, we're not used to that. We don't want to plan ahead, that's too hard."

Okay, now I have to go to work!

Sue

3. bjgnome

bjgnome Junior Member

Regreening is totally feasible. Working at a national level sounds great, but don't overlook working locally or bioregionally.

At an individual level, about the best you can do is plant as many trees as you can. When the trees go, the rain goes, and when the rain goes no trees will grow... catch 22.

Sprout them in used plastic cups, milk containers or whatever you have and give them away. Plant one a day and you'll have planted a thousand in three years... not bad.

I have about 30 3-inch loquat trees in seed trays now...gathered from under the tree outside my door. Tasty fruit and easy to sprout. I also have sprouted mango, avocado and orange trees from seeds in my food "waste". These species are, of course, appropriate to this climate.

Many municipal governments would support tree-planting efforts, if there is a little volunteer energy behind them. Get into an elementary school, turn on some kids and regreen a neighborhood.

Also, do not underestimate your ability to connect with the weather spirits and call for rain when the Earth is thirsty. I'm serious. My friend Albert, who had a way with the weather, used to always say, "People got to deserve rain."

Be well,
    Jonathan

4. Mont

Mont Junior Member

For Australian forum members, Insight on SBS has a TV forum on this in about 5 minutes time (7.30pm) called The Wide Brown Land or something, and it's repeated this Friday at 1pm if you miss it. Should be interesting. I'm off to watch it. Bye.

5. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

all u said guys is true...
    no trees no rain....

i also believe in the spirit of rain, infact i'm often playing some a special gandarva veda music called rain melody.

and yes, i also agree on the fact that some people deserves no rain but i thin we cannot judge as there is good people that has no rain as well.

back to plants... how could we realistically green an area with no rain?
    how did goeff do in jordan?

if u plant trees and there is no rain how can they survive?
    u plant them and they'll die...
    there are areas where it hasn't rained for 4 years!

thanks!!!!!!!!!

antonino