Dr Maarten Stapper (ex CSIRO)

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tamara, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

On friday I attended a soil fertiloity seminar with Dr Maarten Stapper (who was sacked from CSIRO for doing research on agriculture without the use of superphosphates and poisons).

It was incredibly interesting and was mainly about soil microbes (he calls them crazy critters) and their uses.

I recommend
    https://stapperonsoil.blogspot.com/

much love
    Tamara

2. muzzduck

muzzduck Junior Member

Hi Tam.
    I was there also, i reckon you may have been up about third row from the front on the right???
    Yes was all good stuff and what i like best is always finding someone new to talk to that is doing stuff on the ground rather than getting the dumbfounded looks from a lot in your immediate area

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hello all,

Much of what I read I test or factcheck where possible. I read the following which lifted an eyebrow.

To be honest this seemed a bit incredible and having read Stapper's bio a while ago I knew he was well qualified.

https://www.truefood.org.au/news2.html?mode=aust&newsid=346

Two scary things here. Firstly, that Stapper was sacked and more importantly the attitude of the CHIEF of CSIRO's Plant Industry Division. It says volumes for the CSIRO if this attitude can persist. He should be sacked for that comment.

Mankind fed themselves for millenia before the advent of modern science, it can probably do so again if it has to.

If that comment of Burdon's is true it should be grounds for him to prove his argument or resign.

floot

4. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

It is extremely disturbing that the CSIRO sacked Maarten. His research and credentials and his talk was extremely sensible and seemed to make a lot of sense.
    But of course, I'm a microbe-freak.

Muzzduck,

I was near the front!

Did you like the questions about cape weed. Had these people been listening??? On a positive note, the friend I went with has decided to dig up her blackberries and only poison when necessary.

I was worried that Maarten says that Roundup was ok - even at Ph 4 and with molasses, especially the info on this forum regarding DNA problems.

If you are in the Bunyip area, call in.

Much love to all,
    Tamara

5. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

I wonder who owns the CSIRO, and who really makes its decisions.

https://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail ... nvironment

I suppose the chemical manufacturers would think it was very good planning. :evil:

6. richard in manoa

richard in manoa Junior Member

That sucks. :(

7. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Seems they pushed out Elizabeth Heij (sustainability network coordinator) recently too. :(

8. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

HMMM.

The fedral Govt funds CSIRO, right? Why the hell are they sacking people working towards sustainability and chemical reduced/.chemical free farming...Monsanto execs are friendly with John Howard????

T

9. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

From https://stapperonsoil.blogspot.com/:
    Tamara, the last few words of the quote sum it up. But wait, there's more. The Pharmaceutical industry has a huge investment in maintaining poor health in agriculture as much as in human society, and remember that farmers borrow heavily from the banks to buy all this stuff before they even turn a sod, and banks demand their money back regardless of any income a farmer might make (they share the profits, but never the losses). And while the Federal Government funds the CSIRO, so too does industry - no prizes for guessing which. Finally, there's the complex system of grants and subsidies that help maintain the status quo. It's an insidious sort of cancer with tentacles reaching long and wide. It will not stand for "trouble makers" like Maarten Stapper, et al, rocking the boat.

10. waterwheel

waterwheel Junior Member

To find out more about Maarten and his work, check out when and where he is next speaking and review the catalogue of reports and articles visit Dr Maarten Stapper's official website https://www.biologicagfood.com.au

11. Peter

Peter Junior Member

CSIRO believe and promote GM crops.