Double dipping the solar rebate?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by springtide, May 9, 2009.

1. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Ok, moral arguments aside on the merit of selling green credits from grid feed solar energy systems - does any one know if after getting a government rebate it would be possible to sell the green carbon credits after the government cuts off the rebate scheme and lets you sell these credit things to companies offering carbon offset credits? - Not that i would but it might be possible to buy a 1kw system for 2300 bucks after the rebate (we are getting about 7kw/ day and are pretty chuffed!) and then sell the offset credits of another 7k or so - making 4.5k??? Yeah i know it is not ethical business but i am in the middle of an on-going conversation at work. Is it possible
    Cheers all :D

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: Double dipping the solar rebate?

I know a few people who have wind or solar systems and sell excess power back to the grid. Is ther a difference with what your suggesting ? Sounds more like a moral issue than an other.

3. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Right now, you can get the $8,000 solar rebate and also sell your RECs.

For new solar installations from July this year onwards (providing you're not claiming the $8K rebate), you'll get 5x the RECs to sell (or keep).

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but does this help?

4. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Cheers Poolroom, we already claimed the rebate and someone suggested we sell the RECs (couldn't remember what they were called) - i did not know that the 7k or so people were suggesting was from 5 x REC rebate - at 1 x REC it hardly seems worth it. I don't like the idea of selling them in the first place - i think we should make the carbon traders plant trees and keep the credits as our own form of "sequestering" - it takes a lot of energy to make them in the first place.

:wink:

5. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

You may want to check your install contract - you've probably already 'sold' them to your supplier. Most solar panel installers get you to assign the RECs to them, which helps them keep the system cost down (or provides them with more profit, depending upon your point of view!).

6. ave a go

ave a go Junior Member

Ture!
    When we got our panels the price quoted/charged already took into account that we would sell back the REC's.