dolomite + blood and bone

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sun burn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Can you put these two on at the same time or you should treat the dolomite like lime and do it first.

Thanks

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Not sure myself as Ive never used either....BUT, IF your putting in the same area at same time,it maybe best to do seperatly,maybe few days to week apart.. just dont try to much all at once for either,and dont go planting in those spots for a while.. it all depends i spose on your circumstances...

Tezza

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

With Dolomite the "normal" recomendations are a tonne per hectare for pasture renovation which is a kilo per 10 square metres . Which is really only a light dusting , too much can trigger nutrient tie up in some soil ph. at that rate i wouldnt be too worried about your blood / bone causing trouble .
    Rob

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I'm trying to find out if the dolomite cancels out the value of blood and bone as would happen with lime, so i understand.

5. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

Dont know about any "canceling out"..but dolomite and lime is used to lower soil ph. just that dolomite also contains magnesium, Generally soils in high rainfall areas are quite acidic.We use lime to reduce this.You can buy a soil ph meter very cheaply(I think mine cost $50 or so)
    Gypsum is also good if your soil has a high clay content and organic matter,mulch, compost, mill mud etc is also neccesary to revitalize and replenish the soil and feed the soil microbes due to our high rainfall and high heat and humidity which causes rapid decay of the soil organic matter content.

You might find the following soil health course useful...its in 2 weeks and not to far south of your place.
    You can get it fully rebated by Farmready if you are a primary producer.,

https://www.smartbugs.com.au/workshops_37.html

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day sun burn,

as has been said you should get a soil ph yest before applying dolomite or lime most garden centres do them free. should only use either if the soil realy needs it outside of that we use heaps of gypsum to help condition our clay at planting times.

can't answer about mixing fertiliser at the same time but if the recommendations for lime application is not to do so then i would carry that dolomite use as well.

len

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Thanks all. I've already done the pH tests. The soil has a pH of 5.5. The reason for not putting lime and fertilisers together (eg blood and bone) is because the lime cancels the effect of the fertiliser though there is probably a more accurate way of saying it. I've heard this numerous times now from reliable sources. I know that dolomite and lime are similar but i thought perhaps because dolomite is slow acting, it might not be a problem.

Thanks for the course tip tropical.

8. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

No worries Sunburn...I think what you may mean with the lime is that the nutrients in the fertilizer can be locked up if it is appled together.I dont know if its a big concern really though particularly with the amount and intensity of rainfall we have been getting lately.
    We find that if we are constantly replenishing the soil with the organic matter and mill mud etc that we dont have to use much fert at all.Its just hard work because it breaks down so quick in this climate.

9. digging

digging Junior Member

Do you have clay or sandy type soil, because the magnesium makes clay soil tighter and sticker, I would think biochar might be a better thing to and in place of the lime because it also will add the acid levels of your soil and give carbon to your soil.

dig

10. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

glad ive never used the stuff..