Dog Poo

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ColinJEly, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ColinJEly

ColinJEly Junior Member

Hi All
    Anyone got any experience with putting dog poo on the compost heap?
    What about the pathogens?

Thanks

Col.

2. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

Should be fine. What do you feed the dog?

3. ColinJEly

ColinJEly Junior Member

Dog Poo

G'day Tas
    Macca's, leftovers, whatever he steals when you are not looking and some dog food :lol:

Cheers

Col.

4. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

They carry less parasites if you feed them a diet of raw meat and bones. If you give him worm treatments, you don't want to use his poop on a worm farm or directly on the garden where you want to have worms.

5. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Yeah, i will second that one. Worms don't like worm treatments for some reason... go figure :D

I think theres a commercially available "upside down" doggie worm bin. You put the doggie doo-doo in the bin (its only small). When its approaching full you put the worms in and turn it upside down. The worms work there way to the top (bottom). But you will still want to make sure the last doo-doo is well aged before putting the worms in... at least 30 days from any worm treatment given to the dog.

From memory, the unit was only small (a couple of litres) so it doesn't leave an odour. You'll obviously need 2 units though - one being filled and one being worked.

6. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hi Colin,

Dog poo should start to degrade immediately if you are feeding the dog well with a largely vege/grain mix or good quality dry dog food and a small amount of meat/bones. According to Pat Coleby's 'Natural Pet Care' dog dung will start to be consumed by worms, insects, microbes and bacteria the minute it hits the ground if it is of 'good quailty'.

It is totally okay then to pick it up and compost it or worm farm it, if it is chemical free. Otherwise bury it if you feel it is necessary to use a chemical to worm the dog.

I cannot recommend a higher quality of natural pet care than Pat Coleby's work as I have saved both my cat and dog from several major problems (including snake bite) with her natural treatments.

Goodluck and happy composting...

Kathleen

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Dog Poo

The main problem with dog poo is roundworm eggs. An extremely high percentage of dogs are born with these worms, and the eggs are very hard to kill, as they are tolerant of both extreme heat and cold. Giardia is easily killed by heat from a compost pile.

As far as I can tell, heat from the hottest compost pile will not kill them, nor will freezing. And, apparently, neither will the soil microbes kill or eat them, as they have been found in soil for at least seven years.

The next problem with these eggs is that they are often transmissible to humans. So, this is one thing that may be best omitted from the compost pile or the garden bed.

But the eggs are not absorbed by the food plants, just contaminated by soil. So, a thorough washing should remove them. But it's best if you don't 'graze' in the garden from plants that may have bits of soil still on them: lettuce, spinach, carrots, etc.

Sue

8. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Guest

We have two dog who seem to produce a lot of poo! Is there a limit to how much to put in the compost? I have heard of worms for poo but that you cant mix food scraps and poo in the same farm...
    Also Kathleenmc, is there a website for the natural pet care? Could you post it if there is? Thanks
    PS this is my first post on this site as we are starting to run our house along permaculture line, and there is a lot of good stuff here!!
    Cheers,
    Dakota

9. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

i've been told to never use it in the grdens or copmost wher you are likely to be using your hands, and around the traps most gardeners steer clear of it as dog and cat poo can still have pathogens and the thing about the worm eggs is high on the list , not just round worm and if the one should get into your body it can then damage the liver.

have also been told dogs fed commercial dry food mixes have less chance of pathogens??

but for me there is plenty of other more safer stuff, so our dog's doo goes around fruit trees.

len

10. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

You have got to be kidding!!! Who told you that - the dog food company? A vet who's only education in animal nutrition is sponsored by the pet food companies? All the grain and other crap in dry pet food wrecks the animal's immune system so they can't fight off parasites and other diseases as they would naturally be able to do. My cats are raw fed and I've not had to give them poisonous worm or flea treatments for years.

https://www.preciouspets.org/truth.htm
    "Cow brains. Sheep guts. Chicken heads. Road kill. Rancid grain. These are a few of the so-called nutritionally balanced ingredients found in the commercial pet food served to companion animals every day.

...Another source of meat that isn't mentioned on pet food labels is pet byproducts, the bodies of dogs and cats. In 1990 the San Francisco Chronicle reported that euthanized companion animals were found in pet foods. Although pet food company executives and the National Renderers Association vehemently denied the report, the American Veterinary Medical Association and the FDA confirmed the story...."

https://www.healthyhappydogs.com/APIArticle
    "What most consumers don't know is that the pet food industry is an extension of the human food and agriculture industries. Pet food provides a market for slaughterhouse offal, grains considered "unfit for human consumption," and similar waste products to be turned into profit. This waste includes intestines, udders, esophagi, and possibly diseased and cancerous animal parts...."

11. gardenlen

that's called shootin' the messenger 'tas', i never made a claim mate, my only claim was not to use it ever if there was a claim in my message, migh be everything needs to be in gear before shooting off??

have also been told by doctors that parvo' virus can be passed from dogs to humans and using their poo could very well be one way of doing just that hey??

len

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

13. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

I'm sorry if you saw that as an attack on you. It was not meant that way.

You said "I was told ..." and I asked "Who told you that?" Then went on to give information to anyone reading (including you if you needed it 'cause I don't know what you really think about pet food) about how bad commercial pet food is.

14. gardenlen

on the tumbleweed composter, it can get very heavy to turn as all the material sits at the bottom of the barrel, the horozontal cylinder type is much easier to turn, only thing the metal one rusts out.

len

15. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Yeah, i'm not really a fan of the "tumbeling" composter. Fair enough it keeps the bad stuff out (rats etc) but doesn't let the good stuff in.

It can be ok for a quick compost - i've heard it can be as quick as a 14 day turn around.

I prefer the "Gedye" composter from tumbleweed.

But from a vermi point of view the dog poo converter seems interesting.

16. gardenlen

in reply to what:

i was misquoated as well.

the 2 ??'s means i have my doubts!! ok??

now that makes the who and the why and the wherefore irrelevant wouldn't you say?

and you have all the right in the world to post laternative view points in response, just keep in mind no one evaluates or does any in depth checks into products without a vested interest firstly wanting to create some doubt for their interests advantage, that is why these groups survive we are all telling our experinces as we see it for others to evaluate or like you did 'tas' dig up supporing data.

len

17. gardenlen

yeh eric,

they say that but it never quiet worked that way and for the main i can see why as you generally continue to add material all the time, we do our composting in the garden beds now so no worries and the worms get it right away.

len

18. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hi Rubyrose,

Unfortunately Pat Coleby has no website as far as I know so you will have to search for her books. Try the 'earth garden' book website as I think they stock her books

https://www.goodlifebookclub.com/catalog/index.php

Kathleen :mrgreen:

19. ppp

ppp Junior Member

if it's a bit nasty for the compost bin, what about digging a decent sized hole, filling the bottom half with dog shit, then planting a fruit tree over the top... no contact with humans, and surely a fruit tree wouldn't mind it.. worms would eventually put holes in it and spread the goodness around.