Do you know this man?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Antonino Giglio, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

Hi guys,
    I saw a great episode of Australian Story and this monday there is the 2nd and last part of it.
    It is about this guy:
    https://abc.net.au/austory/
    Do you know him? Is he using permaculture sistem or what?
    Cheers,
    Antonino

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

this man

Hi there No I dont know this man but yes I saw the program last week
    Great idea Great Bloke I felt so sorry for this Poor man and his family..
    Why is it that anyone who has such ground breaking ideas is thought of and treated as a looney is it the Aussie Way or is it commonplace around the world..Maybe he could chat with Bill Mollison and compare notes on how to get used to the crap people love shoveling over you...There are plenty of nutters .ooops serious people who may just have the answers but
    theres allways someone or Some organisation ready to Poop on them from a great hight...... Dont beleive for 1 milli second that Booff head Anderson is interested,but then again hes supposed to be a farmer too. Loved his ideas to block areas to hold water with steel etc I think he should use Andersons head as a blocking device and his fellow Pollies in the reed beds to collect the crap before it goes down stream.
    People like Peter n Bill Deserve Medals....Good on the guy and all the other guys and gals Who have the courage and determination to carry on regardless of thecrap thats put onto them Maybe we could/should all send anderson an email to point out his errors and demand more be done to act on his behalf ..
    If you want his email address (andersons0 msg me ive got just about every federal Mps email address just msg and ill return u the addies,all states all parties and all the heavy weights too
    Tezza

3. Antonino Giglio

Re: this man

she never understood why he didn't sell his horses to make money, c'mon, wake up lady! he needed his horses are an important part of his project, how can she be so blind?
    i only feel pity for him that is sad for the loss.
    i think that if she left him is a gain for him, not a loss. she doesn't deserve a man like him!
    sorry i know that it is a bit too personal judgment and i shouldn't say that.. but it is easy to be with a man (or a woman) when all goes well.
    the hard part is still beng together and support each other when things goes wrong. the message he's been carrieing for 30 years its so important for australia that is a greater good than his family.
    which doesn't mean the family it's not important, actually is quiet the opposite. but the real support from the family comes when things are not easy.
    but that's the common problem in the world of people with great visions.
    and what to say about the friend he lost? i guess they weren't real friends! it's easy to be mate and go to the pub, isn't it?
    the real challenge is being open enough to accept completely new ideas.
    so, maybe now he can start meeting real friends. i hope so.
    yes, if u can give me his email i will be happy to write him and write all mp!
    we should all do that.
    bill mollison? why not... but i have the feeling that human nature (at this point in our evolution) it is still too much on competition and less on collaboration.
    so many time great people never got together because everyone wanted to do in their own way. don't you think?
    but i think that in one way or in another we evolve anyway, so all of these people (every single one of us actually) are seeds.
    we may not see the immediate results but it is like sowing plant seeds, you see the whole plant only after long time.

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I did a search on Peter Andrews and natural sequence farming and could barely find a hint of what it's all about. Just what is he doing, and how is he doing it? Is it basically permaculture? Is it something new? Why does everyone seem to be so coy about spelling it out?

Sue

5. Mont

Mont Junior Member

They were coy on the program. It was intriguing but impossible to say what his ideas really are. Some of it looked like permaculture - things similar to swales, and gabbions slowing stream flow and holding a film of water in the soil. His use of non native plants such as willows, plus native fast-growing casuarinas, and chopping and dropping of weeds, all sounded like permaculture. I think, though, he has very much his own ideas. It seemed like the horses were his barometer of the health of the land, which is probably fair enough, although it sounds a bit like the 'woo woo' mysticism that some permies are very suspicious of. So all in all, it was enough to whet your interest, but I wouldn't go calling him a saviour without a lot more information. There was no doubting his sincerity though, nor his hard work or the terrible price he's paid trying to repair the land.

6. Mont

Mont Junior Member

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Yes, I came upon that site in my search.

Call me cynical (other people have!), but his website almost sounds like the only way you're likely to find out about it is to hire him (at a good fee) to have him advise you.

They say you can contact them for more info, and I did, but it bounced back to me. Maybe they only take messages from Oz/NZ.

Sue

8. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

:roll: i didin't think of looking at this one when i posted the australian story post. sorry about that... i couldn't find out much on the net about the whole thing as well. i put my name down for an infromation pack and post when it arrives with hppefully more info...

9. Antonino Giglio

if you would have seen him, heard his story and heard csiro top scientists talking about his projects you wouldn't say that.
    if permaculture is having fun of people like him only because they went against science than there is something wrong.
    this poor man has been trying for 30 years to convince people he wasn't mad. people judged him wrongly and thought he was a fool (and some people still think he is) only because he had revolutionary ideas and because he knows the land like very few people. and not because he studied, but because he has a gift in knowing what to see.
    and he got this insights from an aborigenal man while he was a kid.
    when he realised that his knowledge, his deep understanding of the land, could help a nation that was destroing the environment he started his cruisade. he almost destroied completely his life to pursue something that he believe was of uttermost importance.
    he lost his family, his daughter suicide and most of his friends left him.
    only now people has started listening to him, after 30 years of suffering, thanks to a brave country journalist that convinced the deputy prime minister to meet mr. andrews and "touch by hand" his projects.
    i think he's a great man, and as all great man he's alone as very few people can understand him.
    better that you look at the 2 episodes of australian story which is not a stupid program on commercial television.
    if you have dvd player of cd player on the computer i can arrage to copy the videotape on DVD or CD.

And to answer to MONT....

How can you call misticism the fact that the horses are so important to him, for his project.
    Maybe you call misticism only because you cannot understand it?
    The native americans used to say that a man, through the eyes of a horse, could see what he couldn't see only with his own eyes.
    There is a very deep connection between all living being, either humans, animals or plants. And people like Mr. Andres not only knows it very well, he can see it.
    Very few people, if not none at the moment, can understand the way he sees things and the way he's working.
    Infact if we loose him now his knowledge will be completely lost as no-one has been able to learn his metods yet.
    But talking about misticicm it's really crazy....
    There is more spirituality in the land that in most human beings.
    Australia is one of the few lucky countries in the world where there is still a deep spiritual connection with the land, thanks mainly to the aborigines, not the white man.

You talk about permaculture but is there some aborigines deeply involved in permaculture or it is one of the many white things?
    If yes, well, that's great!
    If not, I guess something is missing.. don't you think?

10. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Be that as it may, I still can't find out what they're talking about. So why the mystery?

Sue

11. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Sue, possibly because in the true blue Aussie style I know and love , he is saying "You lot haven't believed me for the last 30 years so now you can PAY or go to buggery."
    Just my humble opinion...

12. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

I watched a bit of this program, but will watch the replay this Sat at 12.30pm on ABC.... there is also a program on 'no till' farming this Sunday at 12.00pm on Landline on the ABC that should be interesting...

Cheers... Dave

13. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Even if I HAD television, I wouldn't see anything here like the programs you have there. POOP!

Sue