Do you durian>

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by paradisi, Aug 15, 2007.

1. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I've been thinking about squeezing in another fruit tree (madness has taken over me - we've got 50+ fruit trees and vines on a garden about 260-300 square metres) the one I wanted to try was a durian. I liked the fruit which I first tasted when I lived in the tropics.

So I bought one - loved it. But She Who Must Be Obeyed took one mouthful and vomited. Needless to say I've been banned from planting one, and not just because we haven't any room.

I know it has a strong smell (rotting onions is one way to describe it) but if you chew with your nostrils closed it is a pleasant enough fruit.

Does anyone else enjoy the special fruit?
    Does anyone grow it?

Anyone have the same problems as Sandie?

2. katrina

katrina Junior Member

i love durian, it's too cold here to grow it. beautiful with sticky rice, but very high in fat. the name comes from malay/indonesian and means thorny thing
    kat

3. katrina

katrina Junior Member

oops, i mean here in victoria it's too cold to grow.

4. christopher

christopher Junior Member

I have never had durian, but m brother loves it.

I have had noni, we have some planted and in fruit, and it has a vaguely fecal smell. The taste is wonderful. Many people can't get past the smell, which is too bad.

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Christopher - - what growing conditions do you have for the noni - I notice you're from Belize which is a bit more tropical than where I live - the Sunshine Coast in Australia.

I have some young plants on order and would like some advice on type of soil, light conditions, watering, feeding etc.

cheers

Tony

6. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hi Tony,

Heavy clay soils, pronounced rainy and dry seasons, with the dry lasting roughly 5 months (and being "dry" for Belize). The land is sloping for drainage. We have some shade nearby, but for several hours of the day they get full sun light.

We have mulched them with chicken house stuff, composted manure and rice hulls or sawdust, and we water them now and again during the dry season. They are very hardy.

I collected the fruit out at the cayes close to our (not so Great, as in smaller than Australias) barrier reef. They are naturalized there and the islands are covered in them.

I have limted experience, but they flowered and fruited within two years.

Anyone have noni nearby you?

Christopher

7. han_ysic

han_ysic Junior Member

Re: Do you durian>

I am with She who must be obeyed. caused by a period as an exchange student in Indonesia, where every 50 metres along the road to school (in an open minivan with 20 people squished in where Australia would allow 6) there was a stand which sold Durian and only Durian. The smell alone makes me feel like vomiting, and while I acknowledge that the fruit is not altogether unpleasant in taste, the smell of the fruit means that it will never enter my house, my yard, my immediate viscinity.

Give me a rambutan, a banana, a brussell sprout!!

I'm finished my rant.

Good luck with the new trees

8. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

thanks

thanks for the info christopher - - I look forward to trying them
    I don't know of anyone trying to grow them in my part of Queensland - as for your reefs - - - they are reputed as being some of the best in the world for nature, diving and just being nice. Not as big as Australias, but not as crowded too.

Han - - Sandie (She Who Must Be Obeyed) said YES YES YES there is a god - - huge smile on her face....

9. Batz

Batz Junior Member

Several people around here have full size fruiting trees,most have no idea of what to do with the fruit so it gets wasted.

Batz

10. beatbeat

beatbeat Junior Member

I live in the Philippines, and we have several durian trees. I have several seedlings right now in the works, but they will take more than a decade to bear fruit.

You need composty soil to grow them sweet and well. It is said that you can't grow them at nearly sea-level, but someone who lives nearby me was able to grow one in an urban setting beside a creek. I tasted their fruit and it was the sweetest durian I'd ever had.

About the smell-- I don't particularly find it offensive, because I think it's the most delicious thing in the world :D

11. Warm Earth

Warm Earth Junior Member

The best description I've heard for Durian is stinking like hell, but tasting like heaven. In Singapore you're not allowed to carry them on public transport and they're banned in some shopping centres as well.

12. memyselfiau

memyselfiau Guest

I, also spent time in asia as an exchange student - Thailand in 1975.
    I spent 3 months in the BIGGEST growing area outside Bangkok, in the middle of the season - with a family who LOVED them!!!
    Boy, did they stink. I tried the "hold your nose" trick - but it tasted like it smelt. So I was astonished to see them here in supermarkets in Victoria.
    Sally