Distance in between swales depending on slope and rain?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by robbob, Feb 7, 2013.

1. matto

matto Junior Member

The Keyline is a contour line, the one that goes through the Keypoint of the valley. A true keyline only exists as a feature of a Primary valley.

Keyline pattern is started by taking a contour around a ridge and plowing up from this line. The breakthough of this pattern cultivation is that as you plow uphill from this contour, the lines begine to slope slightly downhill towards the ridge, which control the water to move away from the valley. In valley shapes one finds a contour and plows down, which has the opposite effect of plowing on the ridge shape.

Valley's are the minority landform in the landscape. Most of what you are working with is ridge shapes.

2. matto

matto Junior Member

Good to see you going to the source of regenerative agriculture. Id say its the best thing you can do over the broad landscape, and if you are still itching for a permaculture swale, then concentrate them in the areas they are best applied, on south facing slopes to support your high yielding food forests.

Chisel ploughs are much more common in farming machinery and can do a simialar job as a keomans style plough, not as efficient or as awesome, but the premise of ripping is the same, and if you are doing Keyline pattern cultivation, then you are controlling the water on your property more effectively.

I mention www.lineaclave.org already. Jesus owns the plow (you can see a comparison of the chisel plow against the Keyline plow on their home page). Not sure where they live.

If you want your own machine, a cheap way to set it up is to make or use a solid toolbar with the three point linkage and then import the shanks, and preferabley coulters as well. I dont have a current pricelist but 22" complete shanks go for around $650 Australian Dollars each, and 16" coulters go for around $500AUD. A worthwhile investment for broadscale soil development and for preparing ground for tree crops.

3. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Ok. I was looking at this explanation:

"Keyline Pattern Cultivation refers to the application of natural patterning to the layout of fields, paddocks, fencing and treelines.
    This strategy employs a slightly off-contour approach, which, when coupled with keyline subsoil plowing, can effectively more evenly distribute water across the landscape - draining valleys and humidifying ridges."

https://www.keylinevermont.com/Keyline_Subsoil_Plowing.html

4. robbob

robbob Junior Member

I dont know Matto, I would love to invest in a keyline plow but dont think I have the funds on top of everything else. I will be moving to the farm soon to start organizing what I have and what is needed. Start staking out contour posting throughout the farm, buy electrical fencing, and hopefully get Jesus to come and help or see if I can find a Yeoman plow near Madrid (doubt it).

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

matto knows about Keyline, and from what I read, it would make a great investment, even if you try and form a collective to invest in it.

6. robbob

robbob Junior Member

I am starting to see that it might just be the most important investments for the farm. Other than dam and some swale building which I think is also very important, do you guys agree?

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Again, if you are doing broadscale, those three things are very important. That, time and money.

In a Keyline-sense (and I'm not a practitioner), swales are mostly slightly graded diversion ditches to your dams, the ripping does the infiltrating of water that a swale would do. And it depends on your application, swales are good for trees, keyline ripping is good for pasture and trees.

Do a search for Darren Doherty's posts and work your way back to now, he espouses keyline throughout his posts. https://forums.permaculturenews.org/search.php?searchid=1102388&pp=&page=19

8. matto

matto Junior Member

On regenerating broadacre farms, soil is the resource that underpins everything from profitability to resiliance in bad years. You can improve soil using well timed mob stocking, crash grazing and rest with temporary fencing and a good grazing plan. The Keyline plow just gets those outcome alot quicker. Using it once a year on a three year conversion will put you on course, and then the cows do the work from here on in.

Talking to Jesus might be a god thing in this respect, and you may have a chance to become ademonstration farm, being close to Madrid. For some reason I think Jesus is in the south somewhere, but its a small country and he could give you some pointers and get you into the network of farmers in Spain.

9. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Thanks Matto, he is in Mexico right now, till the end of March. I guess I have few options. I think Jesus would and will be a godsend. I have been reading into him and watching videos and he seems like a fabulous person, with tremendous knowledge. I am very expectant to be able to meet him and have him visit the farm.
    I think this farm could be as you said a demonstration farm for the area, being Segovia, Avila, Madrid. It has many avenues that can be looked into. It has an easy marketing plea due to aspects not to consider here, but could be a platform for the farm and for Jesus in a huge sense.