~Discouraged~

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Pakanohida, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It's hard enough doing permaculture while being a 24/7 caretaker for your spouse. It's hard enough doing permaculture by yourself again, while also taking care of someone with ptsd / paranoid schizophrenia in addition to your wife.

However, I get things done, slowly, sometimes very slowly. However, as the Patient moves out, and I have been trying to wrap my head around starting a business as a farm & so forth I get discouraged. I cannot express how badly the Mrs. & I want to be a non-profit so I can get things rolling here with WWoofers and the like.

The paperwork alone seems daunting at the moment, but I know I have the backing of important people in my community, still discouraged or perhaps the real description is nervousness & anxiety. Not sure, but I know I need to get this ball rolling asap.

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Sorry to hear that Pak. You always strike me as a very resourceful and strong person so I think follow your instinct to get the ball rolling. But take care of yourself too! I was going to suggest getting some support with the paper work, and maybe others here who know the US systems better could help with suggestions etc, but I also want to say that true sustainability includes one's own well being, and that you may need to allocate some time/resource to that.

It is very easy for caregivers to lose their personal wellbeing. How long since you had a break or holiday? Do you get time regularly to do things you love in a non-work way? (working on permaculture probably doesn't count in this instance, because it is part of you daily work). Do you have any practices that nourish you body and soul and may help with the anxiety etc until your situation changes - meditation, yoga, running, walks in nature etc? sorry I don't know you well enough to know what might work for you, but I'm thinking things that bring calm and peace to you.

You probably won't want to stop and attend to these things because the drive to get your business working is strong, but consider your wellbeing as part of the design :)

Re the rolling ball, do you know what needs to happen or is it still in the planning stages?

all the best mate, you really deserve some good things to come your way.

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Pak

I don't feel that I know you well enough either in order to provide you with personal advice, other than to say: Take care of yourself. If you burn yourself out, you are of no use to others or yourself. Indeed, you may even become a liability rather than an asset.

I would, however, like to lend my hand of support in a more general way. On the issue of becoming a WWOOF Host: I don't know about the US chapter (other than what I have read) but I do know that here, in Australia, WWOOF is pretty well much a self-regulated organisation, and as such there is no need to wait until ones project receives 'not-for-profit' status, or any other 'government' decree for that matter, before one hangs one's shingle out as a host. Of course, this assumes that you are not providing a stipend (monetary payment) to your WWOOFers. And I wonder if this means that you want to engage WWOOFers as an adjunct to your normal 'farm business', which may see you employ workers (WWOOFers or otherwise)? Either way, I wonder if the good people at WWOOF USA can help you in your task of meeting the requirements of the 'bureaucracy' (filling in forms, etc)?

Cheerio, Markos

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

We just got a 1973 dodge truck with a camper on the back out of the property, and now I finally get to walk about the property and finally truly design. Wifey is nudging me to utilize my scavenging resources to now make a greenhouse for propagation, as well as for year round food production (in addition to what I do outside). We talked about it after she read what you & Markos wrote.

Which, by the way, I thank you both for your time and concerns. :)

Markos, I have esoteric reasons for going non-profit and helping everyone around me. Perhaps I need to explore the property on the cliff side deeper and find a nook to go away to meditate in.

Again, thank you both.

Paka. :)

5. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

My daughter went through a rough patch in her childhood, and yes, it is draining physically, emotionally and mentally. Having said that, there's no better way to spend your energy than helping the ones you love. You might actually find this time to do some thinking about the land instead of working on it. If you have to spend a lot of time indoors "just in case", find yourself a nice window to look out of and just daydream. If your wife likes sitting outdoors, then do that instead. Maybe start with an outdoor room that provides shade and some human browsing food(there's nothing like picking berries that are literally a step away). Maybe this is a good opportunity to brush up on your cob making skills by sculpting a sofa, chairs and a table for outside living.

As far as the bureaucratic BS, yeah, I feel you. I'll be looking at the 501(c)(3) thing myself for a community garden that I'm helping build and design. Are there any local places that would, for example, aid you in becoming a 501(c)(3)? We're lucky enough to have such an organization that does this sort of thing in my area. There's a good chance you do too, though finding it can be interesting. I might try looking on the net after work to see if I can find one in Oregon.

6. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Junior Member

Same as Eco said here is Aust we can be woffer hosts as an individual and if the same in USA I would suggest do that ASAP, I enjoyed our stint as hosts and met some interesting people some of whom were very helpful. Just having an occasional different visitor to talk to will help with the daily stress of your personal situation. I can relate in some ways as my recent poor health really restricts me to about an hour and a half of lowish level physical activity and it gets a bit depressing at times not being able to do what I would like do Pushing to enjoy the small victories and not keep looking at the big picture of what is still to do is my advice which I still struggle with myself. Go for the meditation it makes the best difference in dealing with the stress of life.
    Love to you and your wife and family.
    Cathy

7. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member