Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tezza, Jul 21, 2010.

?

Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

1. Greens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. labour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. liberal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. independents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Well, if you consider the debacle that occurred in the 2006 SA State Government election, and at least as far as one current MLC is concerned, 32! Yes, three two!

See: Bressington, Ann Marie (p. 8)

For more on what happened soon after, see:

https://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/content/2006/s1602033.htm

For an update on what Bressington has been up to recently, see:

https://forums.permaculturenews.org/showthread.php?16124-Agenda-21-Australia-wakes-up........

and most recently, see:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s-fluoride-claim/story-e6frg6n6-1226587983885

Just goes to prove, the inmates really are in charge of the asylum. And people wonder why we advocate for the development of an alternative way in governing ourselves...

2. ecodharmamark

Done! See you all there!

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

As many of you will know there was a bit of shenanigans from the Australian Federal Government last week regarding their leadership issues.
    The upshot has been the 'reshuffling' of the Ministries. It is very telling, don't you think?, that The Ministry for Climate Change has now been 'merged' with the Ministries for Industry and Innovation. Or more accurately the Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education.

Whilst the Energy Efficiency part of the old Climate Change portfolio is now part of the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism.

Why would Climate Change not be part of the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (Which has now had the Arts added to it)?

Clearly the 'new' government is sending the message that it is distancing itself from the whole climate change issue.

Am I reading this wrong?

4. ecodharmamark

Nup. Furthermore, the 'new' Resources Minister, Gary Gray, is on the record of having once stated '...climate science was a middle-class conspiracy to frighten schoolchildren'. Of course, this should come as no surprise, considering he was a 'strategic adviser' at Woodside around the same time.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Reminds me of the old 'glory days' of QLD when we had Russ Hinze who was the minister for everything!

I like a good conspiracy theory so I have been left wondering whether the whole thing was planned. It was a very tidy and convenient way to remove the uncertainty of Kevin Rudd taking over and lack of loyalty from his followers, and to reshuffle cabinet going into the next election. What do you think Kevin got promised to pretend to challenge and then to pull out at the last minute? Perhaps he'll be minister of everything after the election?

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Rudd didnt have the numbers
    didnt have enough time to get the numbers as he was forced into a quick decision by Crean and then a quick vote by Gillard.
    Pretty sure Crean thought he was going to get Rudd in (or worst case scenario shut him up)
    Rudd either didnt want the poisoned chalice or knew he couldnt get it and also got to tell Julia publicly he was true to his word while insinuating she wasnt.
    The only way it could have worked for Rudd was if Julia fell on her sword for the benefit of the party.(ala Baillieu in Victoria or with a clean swift blow in the party room like in the NT)
    Not saying Julia isnt a great performer in parliament and can easily hold her own, but politics is a popularity contest judged by the not very politically savvy who mainly dont know or dont even want to know beyond the three word headlines.
    Rudd looks smooth, comfortable, statesmen like and is popular and probably would have won the next election.
    But we will never know as we sit through at least 2 terms (probably 3)of a Conservative government as the ALP gets totally obliterated at the next election.

7. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It could be grasshopper, but my initial reaction (and I'm still leaning that way) was that this was an orchestrated show.

Either way it really does show that the government has no idea about the real world. None of the pollies seem to. There was some bozo (Fitzgibbon?) saying in the paper this morning that families earning $250K were struggling!!! OMG! We don't even earn a 10th of that! WTF?!

8. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Struggeling to get rid of it.

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

While getting the maximum tax advantage.
    Put it in super,salary sacrifice, negative gearing,trust funds, all using up the tax pool as upper middle class welfare, while demanding lower taxes for them and tougher measures on the poor.

Read more: https://www.theage.com.au/national/rich-cash-in-on-welfare-20121114-29d0w.html#ixzz2P6N4BOkR

10. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Is it just me (again) or does it seem like the major parties are trying to win this next election by underwhelming us all. Those who can make the worst and most short-sighted policies win!? Rather than going out with bold new policies, lets just scale them all back to meaningless shuffling of deck chairs. Wait!, while we are at it, lets pack a few of these new deck chairs away again, they are a bit too shiny - we don't want to be attracting that sort of attention to ourselves...

Oh, I just got it. Derr. Of course it's best to just stay tight lipped and hope the other mob trips up first. It's all about anti-winning the election now.

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Did you see Q&A last night? The statement was that parties don't win elections they lose them. Meaning that if you don't say anything you'll probably get in, but if you open your mouth you'll probably put your foot in it and be on the back benches for 4 years.

There was also a lot of talk about the superior intellect of Tony Abbot. Sorry but I'm just not seeing it.... The Tassie Greens candidate looked like a good bet though!

12. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I missed it. I was crook and didn't feel like standing next to the open window (the only way I could get digital reception last night).

It must be agonisingly obvious for Labour that they cannot win with JG in charge. And given the fact that the opposition is Tony, it must be a bitter situation for them.

Surely something will change, or are people just that apathetic...?

13. annette

annette Junior Member

I said a couple of months ago that I thought they would put Bill Shorton in as leader, but that was before the leadership challenge. I think labor would have a better chance with him.

Labor might be on the nose, but I'm just imagining the slash and burn under Abbot. yikes.

14. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Yes Abbott will be the next Prime Minister. Don't we have any visionary politicians in this country? So depressing. Still, it could be worse, we could be in Cyprus or Zimbabwe.

15. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

We will have second choice Joyce as our local member ,im sorrry!

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Now THERE'S an example of superior intellect. Joyce is barely literate and probably not numerate. Your incumbent member sounds like he's worthy - even Banarby's mum is going to vote for him apparently.

Libertarian Municipalism is looking more attractive daily.... Why put up with helpless politicians when we can BE the politicians. All of us.

17. ecodharmamark

Hope you're feeling better. Change in the weather (warmer to cooler, but still no bloody rain) always gives me the shivers. On the question of apathy, I'm afraid so. Sad, but true.

18. ecodharmamark

I missed it too. Busy reviewing a rural land use strategy for a VIC LGA. And while it was not exactly riveting stuff, I believe it was far more enlightening than listening to politicians whine. I listened to Whish-Wilson's maiden speech when he first uttered it live on Radio National. He certainly made some squeaks in the right direction; but as dear old uncle MB would say: "It's still just fiddling at the edges'.

19. ecodharmamark

Yay! Drinks are on me, down at the beer hall...

20. ecodharmamark

Could be better, too. If only we had the balls to try. Sorry, it's been a long day, and all this talk of pathetic/apathetic politics has left me feeling a little peeved. Think I'll go to bed and dream of a truly political life, as it is played out in Mandala Town...