Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tezza, Jul 21, 2010.

?

Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

1. Greens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. labour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. liberal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. independents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks for bumping - it took me a while to realize that it wasn't the current election that was being discussed. It has indeed been 'beautiful in its ugliness'!

I do like Julia's new glasses and I just can't take Abbot seriously as a leader. But the fact that Julia is only there because big mining wants her to be worries me deeply. Watching that union leader chap (who's name escapes me) announce loudly that the unions have her back just reinforced the fact that it isn't the humble ma and pa voter that put her there.
    To have the Greens decide that they didn't want to share the Doona anymore with the Labour party only serves to highlight the fact that big mining is driving the political agenda.

Sigh.... I'll still be voting Green, but it seems like a pointless exercise as they are unlikely to hold the balance of power (correct me if I'm wrong). The other choices seem like Tweedledee and Tweedledum!

2. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Junior Member

luckily i have an independent bob Katter, mad at times....redneck at other times....occasionally gets it right either way a better option than either Tweedledee or Tweedledum!
    Cathy

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

Paul Howes, National Secretary of the AWU

Yep, she who is the richest woman in the world practically runs the show. Imagine what it will be like if the other mob get in, and she actually gets full reigns of the country? I had a look at their 'plan' last night. Rather sad, and scary at the same time. It appears that 'the environment' factors very little in their grand scheme when compared to 'the economy'. Not that the other mob are much better; more like the lesser of two evils.

Ultimately, it all depends on what happens in the Senate. All the rest is just window dressing.

Closer to the election, I'll cast my eyes over the likely suspects, and let you know who I think will be in the best position to further the permaculture cause (whatever that is).

Cheerio, Markos

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep doesn't matter how you vote "they"put in who they want it is a giant vote rig fraud, been going on at least since back "in life wasn't meant to be greazy days" of mal frazer.

doesn't matter who we get they only need us for apparent vote value, then they do as they like hey.

another slight against us all those burmese dying of starvation on a boat that if the gov' did it right in a humanitarian way they need not have suffered, of course for the had noses it could be a red herring set up.

doesn't matter the world order; oh! sorry world gov' will point the finger for the world.

yep keep us informed markos so can stear well clear of.

len

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Cathy

I agree with the 'mad' and 'redneck' sentiments, not so much of an 'independent' anymore, though:

Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Cheerio, Markos

6. bluesapphire

yes the new party is a bit of a clown show and I expect it will die of natural causes but I am often involved with assisting locals with personal "small picture" issues and get very good support from his office.
    Cathy

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

AS the "Originator of this post/Poll" Its interesting that "Jughead" is still dribbling his bullshit, and etc,etc,etc,etc...

Things dont change much in allmost 4 years...
    Sorry to Say that "PERMACULTURE" is as far away from making any impact as EVER!!!!!!!!!
    Personally as a fully thinking "permie" still after 25 yrs I find this allmost "pathetic" or worse.... To me and lots of others "permaculture" is the "only way" .... WHY THE FUCK are we STILL DOING BUGGER ALL???

ONE DISGRUNTLED PERMIE OF 25 YEARS...

Tezza

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

One of the problems Tezza is that Permies, as a general rule, are not the type to get involved in local councils, governments etc. Many of us are more practical folks who just like to get on with it. The approach has been "if we do it others will follow". But this is a very slow way of making change, it may be a lasting, but it is very slow. I often think about my own role in this respect and think that I need to get more involved in the 'running' of the show. The thing is, that is all part of the system I want to dismantle. I'm effectively waiting for it to either collapse by itself or for someone else to come along and drive he change.

This is the conversation I have been trying to push here on the forums. What are we going TO DO. Now! What are some new solutions, some new ways to push this thing? How can we create real permaculture communities and physical networks? What is the next step beyond preparing personal properties? How can we make it easier for the layperson to access permaculture assistance, to gain access to 'the community'? There are a lot of disperate groups out there that could easily come under the permaculture flag. Seed-savers, some green groups, that sort of thing.

So if we look at it this way...

The problem is that there is very little uptake of permaculture in areas of social infrastructure planning and execution. How do we turn that problem into the solution.

Can anyone else better define the problem so that the solutions become more evident?

Lets have this conversation and lets have i 'out there' as well as 'in here'.

9. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    That is a great direction Grahame - though I am reminded of principle 9 ├╝se slow and simple solutions " and of the work of Gandhi and Nelson Mandella and the Delai Lama and reflect that in the history of the world we have not been at it all that long and the rate of change towards a more sympathetic population is increasing.

In my time i have seen a change from organic food being a fringe to gaining acceptance and a general shift in awareness that permaculture exists and people are now looking for information on Biodynamics. So the change is here but not as fast as we might like. Perhaps it will be resolved before the middle east crisis.

10. bluesapphire

I agree PPF there is a hugh change in awareness of enviromental damage, promotion of local organic food and general healhy lifestyle choices. I live within my personal ethics which in general meet permaculture guidelines and encourage discussion and consideration of those ideals in any situation I find myself in. The world will accept our way of doing things eventually or there will be no world. So let us all start by looking after our own small part of the world very well.
    Cathy

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Omg ..We been saying all this since the mid 80s........... Where are we now? oh yeah, steady as we go......

We need to "get together" I never heard of "Permaculture" being anything else other then Privy to the "so called experts"..Who are limited by Numbers and expensive courses, We need to "attract" ALL PEOPLE regardless of knowledge, or financial means and share our knowledge for free.....
    We need "Get togethers" with everyone free to come along..
    Why dont the Little "permies" get invited to the permaculture convergences, and think tanks......

I consider THIS Forum as THE closest that the average person, can get close to the "Big Permies" and converse with Bill,Jeff etc etc etc... BUT NO....
    This board has been run by Amatuers for amatuers for allmost 10 yrs now...9 of them with me as a member/poster.. No offence to the Legion of posters in here, in those years, NO wonder they are not seen in here more often....
    Those "true permies" are busy doing their BIT everyday 24/7.... too busy "doing" then being bothered to come in here...

In the "Permie" books by Bill that ive read, NO WHERE does it say "plod along, others will join in one day" OR "DONT GET POLLITICAL"

Its all about taking action,and demonstrating by real actions.... Making important desicions, Leading by Example... etc etc...
    End Of Rant

Tezza

12. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I understand your frustration Tezza! Politics is a funny business!
    I live in an electorate that has state and federal indipendants or did Richard Torbay has decided to capitalise on the animosity towards Tony Winsor and the indipendent" brand" ,and like a dog returning to anothers vomit, has turned National.
    Torbay is a master politition ; he is always claiming responsibility for anything good that happens around here (the sun coming up) people believe him,they teach his electoral tecniques in universitys
    how many votes does it take to get a senate seat????

13. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

green politics

lots of good stuff eg social justice ,conservation , anti war yada yada

untill it comes to achieving a yield!!
    some of the green movement needs to shift to the right:rofl:
    perhaps buy a calculator????

14. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

To get the biggest bang for your vote you should maintain your old adress in new england

15. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I'd like to see more discussion of this, how to counteract the impression of permaculture as only for some set of elites, which seems to be a prevalent notion.

Is this only an impression, or is it an actuality? Are only elites privy to the benefits of permaculture? Or not? How do the little permies get together for mutual aid?

Probably off topic, but....

16. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Australian elections are decided by who pleases the Western suburbs of Sydney most.
    Interesting analysis puts the average WS resident as having bought a house that is $100k more than if they bought in the outer suburbs of any other capital city,they drive over an hour to get to work and listen to Alan Jones while doing it.
    So their current major needs are not environment but more short term financial support,interest rates, jobs, food and bills.
    Generally these people are struggling to survive in the most prosperous time in Australia's history.
    They want and need growth and lots of it,just to tread water.
    What hope have you got of pleasing them.
    When TSHTF WS is going to be Zombie central.

17. bluesapphire

Just like the Walking Dead in it's 3rd series and they are still in a major city...........the countryside is obviously too scary.......Yombies Unite in WS and leave the rest of us alone.

18. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

ludi,

my experience now over around 15 years is it is where the feel good yuppies hand out and if you aren't seen as one of them then you are really of no value, and the ethic that puts habitat before humanitarian actions says it all. they really can't see the forest for the trees hey? pun there, we know there is no trees left. maybe a change is in order "can't see the forest - for the windmills and solar farms".

i for one don't accept the progressive political notion that those in a single area determine the vote, that is determined by other forces they just use WS as an alibi.

len

19. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Most Australian politicians cant see the trees for the coal mines and most voters cant see the trees for the middle class welfare.

20. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

When i mentioned "elites" i really meant the P.D.C etc holders... They have these Permie convergences every couple of years accross the world and aussie..But you never see them advertised... (even in here) sometimes, i wonder if they even know we exist in here.. lol... We had a big permie convergence here in perth back in the mid/early 90s...... I was desperate to go, but it was gonna cost me a small fortune, just to go and listen to speakers.... from memory prices ranged from over $300 to attend..... This was 20 years ago allmost. nothing else since!!!!!!THATS $300 of yesterdays values add 20 yrs inflation and you can guess what today's prices are worth. (if your clever)..

For us to survive and go further we have to "Teach Everyone" rich or poor,smart or dumb, black,white or mixed....

Wouldnt it be better to get a Thousands interesteds? instead of less then a few dozen..... we need a "get together" at least bi yearly in aussie, yearly in the aussie states... AND simular time frames for the rest of the world......

Tezza