Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tezza, Jul 21, 2010.

?

Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

1. Greens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. labour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. liberal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. independents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Fairfax

Oh my.... I have no words for it really. Do they people that I pass in the street each day really think that Clive Palmer is the best choice they could make? There'll be a dinosaur in every school yard in a year.... I'll keep praying that once the preferences are all counted that it isn't true.

My word it's going to be interesting times to live in....

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

scary times and worrying on many levels

We get American style politics where the rich can buy a seat
    He seemed a safe place to park a protest vote
    He feels he is the King maker as he delivered the preferences to Abbott
    Upside is he will get bored, be a destabilising distraction or be found out big time before he can cause too much damage and damages his brand for future elections.

Senates looking scary too
    with sports fans, shooters and car enthusiasts and economic rationalist christians

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes grasshopper,

very yankiefied we are getting, even the torries bought extra votes, but hey interesting how an industrialist did as well if not better than the greens, speaks volumes we have no hope in this secular society, i wouldn't be putting much stock in a party that uses the christian term as a vote catcher.

anyhow next election 3 years away at least maybe.

len

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Of course, the new Senate will not be sworn in until 1 July 2014. Until then, all Lower House Bill proposals will have to contend with the incumbent Senate, the balance of power of which is still controlled by the Greens. Perhaps we could see a double dissolution, particularly on matters such as repealing the carbon price legislation? Here's hoping. Could it be too much to hope for a complete collapse of the current system? I'm afraid so. The status quo will no doubt prevail for a few more years yet

Meanwhile, the final layout of the new Senate (that could be weeks away from its official placement) does indeed look as though it could be a very interesting affair. The best the Greens can hope for is 10 or 11 seats (up from the current 9). However the majority of the change will take place within the ranks of Labor, with most of the 'others' coming in at their expense (see: article, below). Who are these 'others', and which way are they likely to vote on matters that will (should) be of importance to permies? These are the questions I asked myself yesterday as I went about my duties in the garden.

https://www.theage.com.au/federal-p...te-in-new-hung-parliament-20130908-2tdqm.html

Grassy's mostly correct; they are a rather 'scary' looking lot, at least from a socio-ecological political perspective:

David LEYONHJELM (Liberal Democratic Party)

Perhaps not so scary:

David has had an interest in politics since the early 1970s when, as a member of Young Labor, he worked on the It's Time campaign to help end military conscription.

The following decade he joined the Liberal Party in an effort to promote economic freedom, resigning in 1996 in disgust at John Howard's extremist gun laws.

He joined the Shooters Party in 1992 (while in the Liberal Party), became the party's Chairman in 1999 and managed the successful 2003 campaign that retained the party's NSW Legislative Council seat.

When the Shooters Party was deregistered federally just prior to the federal election in 2004, he used the Outdoor Recreation Party to run a team of shooters for the Senate and marginal NSW seats. The party's Senate preferences helped prevent the Greens from taking the final seat.

He also managed the LDP's federal election campaigns in 2007 and 2010.

He has a classical liberal outlook, favouring individual choice and freedom over government intrusion.

David is married and owns an agribusiness consulting company in Sydney. A former veterinarian, he also has degrees in business and law. His sporting interest is target shooting.

David is currently the LDP's National Treasurer and Registered Officer.

Source: https://ldp.org.au/about-us/people

From a 'care for the people' perspective, we shouldn't be too scared of a true libertine, it's how he/they propose to 'care for the planet' and 'redistribute the surplus' that should be the questions in the forefront of our minds.

Glenn Patrick LAZARUS (Palmer United Party)

Perhaps more clueless, rather than scary:

Queensland’s Senate team is led by rugby league great Glenn Lazarus, the only player in the history of the NRL to have won premierships with three different clubs.

Joining Glenn on the Palmer United Party Queensland Senate team will be business executive Clive Mensink and former A-League football goalkeeper Scott Higgins.

Glenn won premierships with Canberra, Brisbane and the Melbourne Storm and played 22 State of Origin matches for NSW and 21 Tests for Australia. He has spent most of the past two decades in Brisbane with his wife Tess and their three children.

Glenn believes Clive Palmer to be an inspirational leader who will unite and advance Australia with common sense policies.

“I am standing to help deliver the vision of the Palmer United Party for all Australians.

“Right now the nation as a whole desperately needs an alternative to the tired and clueless government of Kevin Rudd and the Tony Abbott-led Opposition, which has virtually the same policies as Labor.

“We need someone with integrity and expertise that can lead us out of this economic crisis and create community wealth and jobs. It’s time for a change to Clive Palmer and the Palmer United Party.”

Source: https://palmerunited.com/staff/glenn-lazarus/

Hmmm, a mining-led charge for the creation of 'community wealth', I don't think so. More like individual wealth creation at the expense of the community, both human and non-human alike.

Bob DAY (Family First Party)

Scary? More like just in it for himself (and in that sense, scary enough in terms of urban sprawl). Here's what Bob the developer has to say about urban planning:

Bob Day has been one of Australia's leading campaigners for the restoration of housing affordability, particularly first home ownership. He has presented papers in international forums on housing and urban development, lectured at leading tertiary institutions and has been published in numerous journals.

He is a vocal critic of both urban consolidation policy ie squeezing more people into existing suburbs, and the introduction of urban growth boundaries which prevent the growth of cities. "Urban consolidation is a policy which has failed all over the world" Day says. "Whereas the Great Australian Dream of home ownership of a new house on a quarter acre block is eminently achievable when the facts are known".

Day lays the blame for the housing affordability crisis squarely at the feet of State Government urban planning policies and their associated land management agencies. Day accuses these agencies of rationing land on the urban fringes of Australia's capital cities creating what he calls an 'artificial scarcity' in order to make money depriving first homebuyers of getting a start in the housing market. Day says these State Govt agencies have done more to destroy the home ownership aspirations of young Australians than any other factor.

Source: https://www.bobday.com.au/

Nothing like a bit of free-marketeering in order to expand one's personal wealth, at the expense of the social and ecological fabric of peri-urban Australia, of course!

Jacqui LAMBIE (Palmer United Party)

Scary? Don't know. Judge for yourself:

A former soldier in the Australian Army, Jacqui will head the Palmer United Party Senate team in Tasmania.

Jacqui spent a decade serving her country in the armed forces and is now focussed on serving her nation once again, this time in the political arena.

She is a vibrant and highly active member of her community and fulfils many roles to assist others. Jacquie is a fundraiser for Rotary as well as acting as the membership, events and promotions ambassador for Burnie Chamber of Commerce & Industry.

A passionate Tasmanian, Jacqui is an advocate for Australian war veterans and injured soldiers and lists veterans’ affairs, unemployment and national security among her primary policy interests.

I suppose she could be scary if she considers the response to Tassie's 'unemployment' lies in the logging of old growth forests. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: https://palmerunited.com/staff/jacqui-lambie/

Ricky MUIR (Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party)

I'm guessing, probably not an advocate for the judicious use of solar-powered electric carts? Let's have a look:

Nothing actually concerning Ricky, but the 'party' platform goes something like this:

We believe in:

• the people of Australia
    • minimal government interference
    • equality and justice for all before the law
    • freedom of association and assembly
    • democracy and the preservation of democracy
    • a sense of family
    • mateship
    • community
    • freedom of speech
    • robust National Security
    • individual economic freedom
    • society's responsibility to the very young
    • society's responsibility to the very old
    • society's responsibility to the disadvantaged
    • the best possible education regardless of wealth
    • lower taxation
    • smaller government
    • immediate region foreign policy focus
    • that the wellbeing of Australians is foremost
    • that all levels of government are servants to the will of the people
    Source: https://www.australianmotoringenthusiastparty.org.au/core_values

I wonder, does a belief in 'the best possible education' extend to the raising of an awareness regarding the twin threats of peak oil and climate change?

Wayne DROPULICH (Australian Sports Party)

What could be so scary about sports promotion? Imagine being strapped into a chair and forced to watch so-called 'elite' footy/cricket/golf/tennis 24/7. That's a pretty scary thought for me!

Don't have anything on Wayne, the (maybe) Senator-elect, but this is what the 'party' preaches:

The objectives of the Australian Sports Party are to:

• Promote a healthy well-balanced lifestyle.
    • Educate and motivate Australians to live healthy lifestyle.
    • Increase sporting participation.
    • Increase childhood health with grassroots sport participation via school curriculum.
    • Maximise free use of Government controlled facilities such as parks, reserves, public leisure centers and recreation programs.
    • Create stronger communities.
    • Support Australia's sporting culture.
    Environment, what environment? Who knows? Another one that we'll just have to employ a wait and see approach concerning their socio-ecological credentials.

Well, there you have it. Let the fun begin!

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

6. ecodharmamark

7. ecodharmamark

8. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

so far as i see it and guess we can't be denialists when it comes to all that crime in western sydney, they never took the right to own one away from criminals etc.,. so although some see all those reports on tv about suffering as a stage show my bet is many are suffering this case up here even of where a police officer was killed sure looks real to me.

so law abiding citizens should be free to own one once they show they are responsible, many in rural area(not farmers) need them for feral control, and as farmers will say by the time you unlock all the wild dog has gone.

anyhow more important things to think of, will there be a double dissolution? what a waste our broken down system can be, and some labor people calling for rudd to resign, low intelligence i'd say do they really want a bi-election, and lose even more?

len

9. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Gina Rhine hart turned up at Barnaby Joyces after party!
    nb we are a long way from WA

10. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Having the filth carrying a huge assortment of weapons is where most violence is begotten!
    Speaking of gun crime ,,If your mum is a federal MP (J Saffen) you get to do armed robberys and get out of goal free ,go figure???

11. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If only we could teach him to compost it instead of fling it...

13. Grasshopper

My major concern is who taught him how to run for the senate and what was the motivation.
    We would all be ok if he just spent his time spreading manure with his mates.
    Bit concerned about another fossil fuel lover having so much power in a government who wants to build the roads for the 21st Century.

14. annette

annette Junior Member

I'm deflated. Don't know if it's the system, the people, the politicians, the mindset, the apathy, the ridiculousness, the media, the current neglect of important things........... I will get over it soon, ............

I just feel like giving a good kick up the arse to the whole lot, shaking the shit of it, and yelling wake up!!!!

This too shall pass............

15. Grasshopper

Interesting article on Peak Oil and Tony Abbott
    Roads for the 21st century ...#Insert Mad Max youtube

https://crudeoilpeak.info/new-austr...cal-that-peak-oil-has-value-for-policy-making

16. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Good piece. The green line chart from the french geologist (emphasis on geologist) is an important message to everyone.

17. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

18. Grasshopper

The voters are more to the left of both parties but are willing to vote to the right of their personal views in support of their football team.
    Political parties know this and lean to the conservative side in order to not offend that part of their support base, while knowing they dont lose the loyal less conservative voter.