Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tezza, Jul 21, 2010.

?

Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

1. Greens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. labour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. liberal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. independents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. annette

annette Junior Member

When media refuses to air contrary views because of a powerful person who is in a position to dictate what is printed or aired, you are not in a true democracy. All views and positions should be aired if they have to money to do so. It's up to people to make their own minds up about things, not stopped seeing alternative views.

2. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Get Up has a biased opinion and most Australians don't want to see or hear their rubbish.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Are you confusing Get Up with the daily telegraph?

4. annette

annette Junior Member

Peter, you may be right. But when one person has a say on what gets written and aired you get into a situation where views and ideas are stifled. Step outside of your views. I'm talking about freedom of the press. If you only saw and read views contrary to your own you would certainly question who is pushing an agenda. This is outside of politics. This is about power and control of an agenda and how that agenda is presented to the masses. I don't wish to get into the pros and cons of each political party. I'm just saying each has the right to participate in the democratic process without someone with an agenda and the power to shut down voices exercising that influence.

5. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Couldn't agree more annette. When the media start censoring what the public gets to read and watch like this it is time surely to say enough is enough. Peter, who is 'most Australians' and what do you base that premise on?

6. Peter

Peter Junior Member

The voting is Saturday so voice your opinion there.

7. Peter

Peter Junior Member

8. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Watch the election results.

9. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Sounds like a freedom of speech infringement to me.

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

There is no independent media anymore. Murdoch suddenly has more control over US channels then you would even believe.

Luckily for you all your election process is only 4 weeks or so, In the US, I have 3 more years of idiots trying to make it.

11. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I guess we all have a lot to learn a bout how to achieve an electoral yield!!!

12. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

i like the thinking of people like mark, this political governence system is broke can't be repaired need an about face.

i think teh best we can hope for is an australian community that respects each other and follows common rules to guide us away from lawlessness. so lets look to living in peace, harmony and fairness.

len

13. pavelbentham

pavelbentham Junior Member

You may be surprised to hear this, Unmatual, but in Australia there is no right to freedom of speech. There is an implied right, but nothing recognised in the law. What's more, it is the far-right that usually champions for it. They make out that we have fallen to some sort of soviet-style censorship. No, no, that isn't it at all. If anybody has the power or inclination to shut up anybody else, it is the likes of Murdoch and other powerful and wealthy individuals and companies. Further to that, there are always the Helen Lovejoys wanting to shut out a certain message in a hands-flailing, "Would somebody think of the children?" manner. Right or wrong, it's a bit of a confused discourse here.

14. pavelbentham

pavelbentham Junior Member

I don't think many people could disagree with this, Len. Unfortunately, the outcome of this election won't fulfil this want.

15. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    Ugh, I detest politics.

Is there a way I can vote for nobody?

16. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Yep. get your name ticked off, grab your forms and either drop them in the box empty, or deface it and drop it in. I reckon the 'informal' vote will be bigger than ever tomorrow...

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Theres plenty of nobodies to vote for in this election it would be hard to choose which nobody

18. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Attended a forum last night, and learned that 80% of the voting populace will not be swayed one way or the other out of their preconceived political ideas. Meaning that all of that crap I've been handed as I walk into my local PO to pick up the mail, is really only directed at about 20% of the electorate. Learned further that around 8% of people only make up their mind to vote one way, the other, or informal (as may be the case with our friend, above) on polling day (hence why there is a rush of mail-out propaganda in the last few days leading up to the election)...

On another note, I plugged Jo and Beth's position (truly independent Victorian Senate candidates) at last night's forum, and in the process outed myself as an anarchist. Which certainly made for an interesting post-forum wine and cheese conversation (the real reason I attended in the first place, haha).

19. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

21 things about the Australian electorate that you probably already knew but were too afraid to fact check:

1) Australia's 11 most right-leaning seats are all in Queensland
    2) The Coalition holds Australia's tenth most left-leaning seat
    3) None of Australia's key political leaders rate any higher than 4 out of 10
    4) Labourers rate Tony Abbott more highly than Kevin Rudd
    5) Protestant voters rate Tony Abbott (a Catholic) higher than Kevin Rudd (an Anglican)
    6) Labor had a 'bloke problem' under former PM Julia Gillard
    7) Men are much more likely than women to rate broadband and the economy as the most important issues
    8) Greens voters are about twice as likely as Labor and Coalition voters to say asylum seekers is the most important issue
    9) The richer a respondent is, the more important they think the economy is
    10) Gay marriage has majority support
    11) Almost half of Labor voters oppose the party's asylum seeker policy
    12) The further respondents live from the inner city, the more likely they are to support turning back asylum seekers' boats
    13) Australians want mining companies to pay more tax
    14) An overwhelming majority supports legalised voluntary euthanasia for the terminally ill
    15) Most South Australians do not want financial support for the car industry increased
    16) 61 per cent of Australians want the Government to do more to tackle climate change
    17) Retired and unemployed people are the group most likely to want tighter restrictions on foreign workers
    18) Most support acknowledging Indigenous Australians as the first inhabitants
    19) Any easing of restrictions on coal seam gas exploration meets strong opposition
    20) There's widespread backing for tighter rules on foreign ownership of Australian farmland
    21) Northern Territorians are the most strident supporters of live animal exports

For the full article, see: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-06/21-things-vote-compass-revealed-federal-election/4939224

20. matto

matto Junior Member

I dont have much to comment on these elections, I'll leave it to the Good Doctor and his rant from 1979. I think most here will find some relevance!